If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Great Central Railway- Railways At Work- 19th-20th August 2023

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Ben Jenden, Aug 5, 2023.

1. James McLeish

James McLeish New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Some footage taken around the event, featuring Beeching protests and the return of 6990 'Witherslack Hall' running as scrapped sister loco 6988 'Swithland Hall'.

3ABescot likes this.
  2. LNERandBR

LNERandBR New Member

Had another idea for how to give Leicester North something unique to show at future events. Permanent Way.

So, with all the spare ballast area, a display of Permanent Way equipment from the 1960's could be set up. Then between trains at specific times there can be a demonstration of how track gangs kept the railways in order during the 1960's.

Charles Parry likes this.
  3. Johann Marsbar

Johann Marsbar Well-Known Member

As I got to Rothley in plenty of time on the Saturday morning (first train movement was around 08.40), I did notice that the tearoom on the platform was already open by that time - certainly by 08.30 - which was considerably earlier than I've seen it before. A lot of people were taking advantage of this facility (including me) as it was open early and I can can certainly recommend the Jubilee sponge cake that was on offer !
    Hopefully they did well financially out of this and that earlier opening becomes a regular feature of the special weekends. The place certainly seemed very busy each time I passed through on the train and I don't think the cake supplies lasted very long.....
    Certainly the hot drink + cake portion offer at £3.20 was a bit of a bargain!

4. peckett

peckett Member

Rip off , coffee or tea /cake only £3.15 on Rothley platform.!.Yes very busy here and on the trains during Saturday. Two photo's attached ,GWR Hall and 73156 on a Leicester holiday special.

Attached Files:

5. black5

black5 Well-Known Member

Theatre
    Yes I am an active volunteer

Short bit of video from Sunday afternoon, we were only there for a few hours with a nice run behind the Hall, but was a wonderful event.

Musket The Dog and Johnme101 like this.
  6. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    One of the best events I’ve been too. Not too packed like many steam galas, but lots of atmosphere that really made the event.

The little cameos across the whole line really did make the event, the trainspotting schoolboys being chased by the police, the anti-Becching protesters, the mechanical horse drag race. Brilliant fun and certainly an event I’d look to return to in the future.

7. Johann Marsbar

Johann Marsbar Well-Known Member

I see that the dates for next years event have been posted on the GCR FB page - 11th/12th May 2024.