If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Great Goodbye at Shildon alert !

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Great Western, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Without knowing the exact circumstances I think it's a bit much to imply criticism of the old gent for asking.

2. BillyReopening

BillyReopening Member

Freelance Trumpet Player // IT Engineer
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I just meant that its not something that I would have done...not being critical of the chap its his choice and all that. Going to the Shildon event was one of the few times where "enthusiastic" enthusiasts didn't try and push me out of the way, make a fuss about photos and attempt to ram a camera into me to get the same photo I am getting...

3. ellisteph12

ellisteph12 New Member

Well done everyone that organised the event. Didn't get chance to go myself but my brother took a coach load of people and thoroughly enjoyed it.

4. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

From the events team at Shildon:
    From Saturday March 1to Sunday April 6

· Cab access will be available as follows:

- Tuesdays
    - Thursdays
    - Saturdays
    - Sundays

· Cab access sessions will run from around 11am to 3pm, subject to availability of volunteers/Locomotion Explainer
    · We may also be able to offer visitor access to the corridor tender of Dominion of Canada – however, this is still to be confirmed, and will be dependent on having sufficient numbers of marshals available

Friday March 28

· The transatlantic A4s will be positioned on the events apron throughout the day on Friday March 28 (weather permitting) to give enthusiasts the opportunity to view and photograph the locomotives outside. The Workshop team will shunt the locomotives outside before 10am, and put them back inside after 4pm.

More as and when it happens

volunteer, 47406 and ellisteph12 like this.
  5. Spamcan81

Training moles
    Thanks for this Anthony.

6. zep108

zep108 Member

logistics
    hello
    i visited last wednesday and only now have calmed down enough to but finger to keyboard
    firstly i would like to thank the nrm for having the imagination to have bought them together
    having booked a days holiday i drove 2 and a half hours to get there then spent another hour queing in traffic to park then a further hour queing to get in
    and what a waste of time it was i reckon that at least 90% of the people there had some sort of camera with them and like me wanted ideally a photo of all six lined up in the classic position
    but you were lucky to get a photo of just one of them with out 50 people in your shot , there were more then a few frayed tempers and even my better half who has no interest in steam and by this time was a little pxxxxx off thought it was a farce so ten out of ten nrm for the opportunity but 0 out of ten for the result

Standard 4MT likes this.
  7. Corbs

Corbs Well-Known Member

So, you were annoyed that there were people gathering around the locos at one of the most popular and busiest events the NRM has ever staged? Should all the other people who had travelled there to see the locos too have gotten out of your way?

Was the photo the only thing you wanted and not to see all 6 in the metal together? If so you can have any of mine and do what you want with them for free - I can even email hi-res pics.

I chatted to quite a few people and the only complaint was about the traffic queues.

I just find it hard to believe that you went on the wednesday, so you already had notice of how the traffic was getting in, and you could likely see pics others had posted of how the locos were arranged during the day, you got in to see the engines just like everyone else and it was a '0 out of 10 massive waste of time'.

I just added it up and the whole trip cost me just under £400 plus 3 days of holiday, and I would say it was completely worth it, so I doubt we'll agree.

8. BillyReopening

BillyReopening Member

Freelance Trumpet Player // IT Engineer

Totally Agree with Corbs here..

I drove up from Cornwall, stayed in a travel lodge, and I enjoyed every minute of being there. Living in the arse end of nowhere means that we rarely get any variety in "Big Engines" that are used on the tours, so not withstanding that it was the last time all 6 A4s were together it was an amazing experience to be able to walk around see them first hand and all that.

This might sound obvious - but we all knew there would be loads of people? I got up early on the monday so that I was one of the first people there to avoid the crowds... - I spent 2-3 hours at shildon and got to walk around for a bit with not all that many people there...

volunteer likes this.
  9. zep108

zep108 Member

logistics
    hello again
    if only they could have lined them up properley cordened the area off and let everyone get THE picture i think most people would have been happier

Standard 4MT likes this.
  10. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

Try that with 3000 people wondering why they can't get near the engines. Result. Riot.
    Cheers
    "They"

11. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

At no time did Shildon advertise you would be able to photograph all six together except on the photo evenings . ZEP108 can you explain how you could have allowed 120000(ish) who visited over 9 days the opportunity to get an image of all six when you had a roughly 12foot long piece of ground to capture them in ? They had to be satggered that way to allow ambulance access hence why 4468 was forward of 4464 and 4489

What I'm really sorry is that because it is the NRM people seem to feel free to take shots at the organisation and its people ,when Anthony and Richard are two of the nicest , most helpful and knowledgable people about railways and museums you could ever wish to know . I've seen this on here, on Facebook and to be honest it is out of order

12. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Jesus wept! When I wrote the following:

http://www.national-preservation.co...ye-at-shildon-alert.213484/page-5#post-779296

I thought I was being satirical. Evidently not! Just about every gripe that I spoofed, someone on here has moaned about!

Surely, if you have (a) ever been to a museum with items in relatively close proximity and (b) ever held a camera, you'd know that actually getting a good shot is difficult - the restricted sight lines and angles see to that, and when you add in that there will be many other people around (the more the merrier, as far as the organisers are concerned), that difficulty will be magnified. Anyone who went to the public open days expecting more than a bit of atmosphere and an "I was there" snapshot was deluding themselves. Which is why you have premium photographic events: the exclusivity gives you far more opportunity to take "the master shot", but you can't expect exclusivity without also having an exclusive price. You pays yer money and you takes yer choice...

Personally, I didn't get to any of the events (too awkward to arrange with toddler-aged children), but had I done, simply being in the presence of all six engines would have been sufficient, and all I would have expected. I'd probably have taken a few photos to remind myself in my dotage that "I was there", but I certainly wouldn't have expected anything personally photographically too spectacular - there are better photographers than me who have taken some superb shots at the various events. But to read the comments over the last few pages, I get the sense there are a number of forumites who wanted their own private viewing - but at mass participation prices. Get real!

Tom

stuarttrains, dcuk, Paul42 and 4 others like this.
  13. Spamcan81

Training moles

Anthony,
    You should realise that those who have never had to organise a photo shoot for 50 people, let alone 3000+, have all the knowledge in the world regarding how to do it. I suggest you take early retirement and let these venerable gents take over. You know it makes sense. :)

14. Spamcan81

Training moles

Quite right. I attended the Great Gathering at York and never once achieved a clear shot of all six but I never expected to. Just to be in the presence of all six was a marvellous experience and any photographs were simply a bonus. To get all six in an uncluttered environment meant either attending an Early Bird session or the Night Shoot and parting with cash for the privilege. I chose the latter and it was worth every penny. I'll say it again, well done everyone who made this wonderful event possible.

Owd Sweedy, MarkinDurham and Corbs like this.
  15. MuzTrem

MuzTrem Member

Sounds to me like you haven't calmed down at all.

I went on the Sunday and yes, despite how busy the York event was last year, I underestimated how busy it was going to be. Even the volunteers I spoke to said that the previous day's event had been (IIRC) about 50% busier than anticipated. But with a once in a lifetime event of this kind, it was never going to be easy to make an accurate prediction.

I drove three-and-a-half hours each way (in a day!) so I can sympathise with how frustrating it was having to queue through the town to get the car park. What made it doubly annoying was that I really needed the loo by that point...but to my great relief (if you'll pardon the pun!) the museum had foreseen this problem and provided portaloos outside the museum that once could use before joining the queue. So, full marks to Locomotion for that one!

Yes, I took a camera, but firmly took the view that any good photos would be an unexpected bonus. I knew it would be crowded. Besides, I'd already got a rather special shot of the six A4s at York last year - and, yes, I was able to achieve it by forking out to attend the gala dinner event. (The photo is at http://www.flickr.com/photos/muztrem/9328678392/in/set-72157629410636760 ) Also, I'd had the pleasure of standing back and admiring the A4s from a distance at Barrow Hill the previous weekend. It was nice to be able to get up close to them again, and, better still, to "cab" them. Yes, it meant more queueing but I knew I wouldn't get the chance again (at least not in Britain) so I'm very glad I did.

What really made the event for me, though, was the efforts of the Locomotion volunteers, who were always ready to talk whilst one queued or stood on the footplate. I admitted to the gentleman managing 60008's footplate queue that the queues were frustrating, and he was most sympathetic and understanding. The guys giving the footplate talks were really friendly, and the man on 4489 even took a photo of me in the drivers seat. It didn't come out great, but who cares - it proves I was there, and it's more special to me than another identical shot of the lineup of six would have been,

And, for all the frustrations of having to queue repeatedly, I never allowed myself to lose sight of how wonderful it was to see so many non-enthusiasts - particularly families - coming to the event to engage with railways. Yes, putting Bittern on shuttles meant taking her out of the lineup - but I hope that a few of the kids riding in those brakevans, experiencing their first ride behind an A4 - perhaps even their first ride on a train - might just become lifelong enthusiasts. Besides, the sight of the other five A4s seemed so much more stirring with the sounds of a working A4 in the air.

So my assessment of the Great Goodbye is that the NRM did the best it could in difficult circumstances. And you know what? At the end of the day, I could hardly bear to tear myself away from the five-A4 lineup. And, for someone who openly expressed cynicism about the project when the repatriation of 4489 and 60008 was first announced, that's quite an admission! It might not have been six, but it's still one more than we'll ever see again.

So, in spite of all the problems, the NRM delivered an incredibly memorable day for me. For that, I have nothing but praise. More than that, I know they were also fulfilling their remit of bringing railway history to wider audience - and for that, too, they should be applauded.

volunteer, annesi, Owd Sweedy and 5 others like this.
  16. charterplan

charterplan Member

I too went to the York event, with these locos, obviously the locos was inside and not outside, which although a shame, I did not see it a problem, although a shame that they did not try to rope off the engines in some way, as to allow everyone that all six shot, without people in the way, as they would be behind a rope, but also allows everyone to get a photo too, perhaps doing it every 2 hours but they paid to do it. But anyway at least I got something on film,as once these go back then I dont think we will see them again in my lifetime.

17. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    I went to York twice but was unable to get to Shildon, even though I had a ticket for one of the early morning events. I know No.8 and 10 are there for a little while longer and wondered if they are likely to be exhibited outdoors at anytime?

18. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

28/3 see post 184 from Anthony above.

19. 8A Rail

8A Rail Member

One six hour slot out of 37 days and assuming the weather plays ball too.

20. Spamcan81

Training moles
    That's the risk you take with any event and it's not as though you haven't had plenty of other chances to see them. Just be thankful they're here at all.