If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Green Arrow

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by ssk2400, Aug 18, 2014.

1. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

Gordon Hodgson said in his recent SR interview that the V2 is top of all WC drivers lists of locos they would like to have available.

2. toplight

toplight Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I am surprised it hasn't been pointed out, but Green Arrows last overhaul to working order was privately funded by an individual sponsor, although I think the NRM did the work which is why it was done in the first place as the money was offered. Can't recall the sponsors name but it was in all the railway magazines at the time. I think he requested it was painted also in BR colours as he was paying. Presumably he isn't willing to pay to do it again and anyway they probably have enough to do with Flying Scotsman.

I am sure potentially any of the NRM locos could be steamed if a sponsor comes forward to pay for it all. Pete Waterman if you remember also paid for the LNWR Super D to be done.

3. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    I think he was called Michael Peagram, but am open to correction - it was some time ago.

4. MikeParkin65

MikeParkin65 Member Friend

No I do not currently volunteer
    I'd rather contribute to a new V2 build than have 4771 rebuilt to the new stent that 4472 has been. Personally would have thought it a better bet for the Tornado people to pursue than the proposed 'Bantom Hen' - certainly captures my imagination more.

Kylchap and 26D_M like this.
  5. toplight

It makes more sense anyway for Engines to be rotated around so people get chance to see something new steam. It evens out wear and tear too. I would like to see Engines like the Midland Compound, Johnson Spinner or GNR Stirling run as all these steamed last lime when I was just a little boy so never got to see them running. There is other ones too, Gladstone, LYR radial tank, Midland 158a, Hardwick etc. If they were restored to run on Preserved lines only it would save having to fit them with all the modern electronics etc and avoid having to do any modifications.

The Dainton Banker likes this.
  6. 22A

22A Well-Known Member

Administrator
    I believe the Midland Compound was in steam at the 1975 Shildon Cavalcade. The Stirling Single was towed that day.
    A year later I travelled along the Cumbrian Coast with Flying Scotsman & Hardwick double heading. Please correct if wrong, but (many years ago now), didn't Gladstone operate on the Bluebell for a while? The last time I went to Butterley, 158a was in a shed to protect it from the elements, but sadly there were still bird droppings over the dome and a visible layer of dust along the boiler and cab roof as it appeared to be simply stored out of the way. I am not getting at the MRC volunteers by saying that because I realise there are only so many volunteers and priority must be given to keeping active stock in service.

7. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    AFAIK Gladstone was a static exhibit during its stay at the Bluebell.

8. MarkinDurham

MarkinDurham Well-Known Member

June 19th, 1976. Steam from Carnforth to Leeds. Should have been the Midland Compound and Hardwicke. The Compound sadly failed, so Evening Star substituted. Little and large! (The rest of the trip was Flying Scotsman from Leeds to York via Harrogate, a pair of 31s back to Leeds & then Mayflower and a Black 5 (44932 in green?) back to Carnforth)

9. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    AFAIK the last main line run by Midland Compound 1000 was on 28 September 1983 when it powered a York - Rochdale charter. Its classic runs, when coupled to 5690, was a northbound 'Cumbrian Mountain Express' on 5 February 1983 and the return southbound working a week later on 12 February 1983. The weather on the northbound service was blizzard hence late running and no pictures and on the southbound run so cold that my Canon cameras froze and i was restricted to B/W images only; I have since found Nikon cameras to be more reliable in cold weather !!

10. toplight

I think my dream combo would be double headed Compound + Johnson Spinner (or 158a) with a rake of various Midland coaches over the Settle Carlisle and or the ex Midland main line through Matlock. I know it will never happen, in fact of the locos listed, +Hardwick, Gladstone, Stirling, Evening Star etc I don't think any of them will ever run again.

11. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    Correct. When Gladstone was withdrawn in 1927, it was fitted with a Marsh-type boiler. In order to preserve it in original condition, that boiler was exchanged for a Stroudley boiler which had been fitted to either No. 175 Hayling or No. 177 Southsea, which were withdrawn about the same time. I don't think this boiler was in particularly good condition but in 1927, the idea of running it in preservation was not on the agenda so it didn't really matter. Unsurprsingly, it has never run anywhere under its own steam since reacquring a Stroudley boiler. I'm not even sure whether the usual few rags were placed in the smokebox at some point when it visited the Bluebell in 1982. Like Toplight, I doubt if it will ever run again.

12. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    Dr Micheal Peagram was the gent who sponsored Green Arrows last overhaul.

13. Miff

Miff Part of the furniture Friend

I realise the need for external funding but it does seem a shame that the NRM's own workshop is now so under-used that they're allowing non-NRM overhauls to be done there, currently 4498.

14. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    Perhaps - because non-NRM overhauls generate income whilst NRM overhauls generate expense ?

15. Miff

Maybe - but in the long run it's also vulnerable to being shut down and turned into an exhibition space or yet another coffee bar if the NRM don't use it for their own projects.

MikeParkin65 and paullad1984 like this.
  16. DismalChips

DismalChips Member

Well, even if the loco under overhaul isn't an NRM one, it's still an interesting sight for a visitor and an educational part of the experience, so probably not. Brings in money, adds to the understanding of the visitor, what's not to like*?

*the fact that workshop space is limited and it delays an overhaul of a home loco would be one answer.

Matt37401 likes this.
  17. Miff

Nothing, that wasn't my point.

18. 46236

46236 Well-Known Member

lord of the manor
    there WAS a picture or 2 in the premier magazine of the time, under a story 'Clear the line'

19. 46236

46236 Well-Known Member

lord of the manor

have to make do with this, my video

Spamcan81 and toplight like this.
  20. Kylchap

Kylchap Member

Back in the day, the V2s were my favourite class of loco. I have a very vivid memory of a day at Tallington when I was about twelve - probably 1963. At that time the east coast expresses were headed by a mixture of Deltics, English Electric Type 4s and ex-LNER pacifics. The gates closed and signals indicated an up train approaching from Grantham. A wisp of steam could be seen in the far distance. The track began to shake and vibrate long before the loco was in view. The vibrating got louder, so much so that I felt a bit scared and walked back a few paces from the gates - I had never heard such a racket from the track before. Then I saw the train approaching. It looked like an A3 without blinkers, but as it got closer I could see it was a V2, presumably standing in for a pacific. The sensation of speed was clearly exaggerated by the noise, but I still think it was going significantly faster than the pacific hauled trains with which I was familiar. I would love to know what it had been doing down Stoke!

ragl likes this.