If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Green everywhere

Discussion in 'Diesel & Electric Traction' started by klambert, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

Im sorry but i class heritage lines as working museums. Does this mean i should go to the ironbridge workin victorian town and expect the pub to be a beefeater and the local butcher and bakers to be a tesco?? Like people say people dont visit railways with stock that looks quite modern. You would soon loose most people who dont know anything about railways (normal folks) as they would go somewhere that looks more authentic. And children dont see NSE on thomas the tank so i cant imagine they would want to visit either. And if you dont cater for the general public who pay for your hobby to continue you best have DEEP pockets.

2. saltydog

saltydog Part of the furniture

Retired
    I remember the late 60's and early 70's when British Rail and the scrapyards were selling heaps of rusting scrap for outlandish prices to fledgling steam preservation groups and 'normal' people were saying you must be mad, steam is finished no one wants to travel behind a smelly smoke belching steam engine any more.
    Forty odd years on........how wrong they were!!!
    I can see the time coming when Pacers and Sprinters will be looked upon with just as much affection and nostalgia as Black Fives, Castles etc. are now.
    They may not be to my taste but in years to come as the heritage industry evolves traction such as those will be the norm with the odd surviving steam engine being rolled out now and again as an oddity. What looks modern to our eyes will in 20 or so years look historic.
    And yes one day Tesco and Beefeater pubs will become part of living museums much as The Co-op and the corner pub are today.

3. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

From what i understand from what many people say about there youth in the 50/60s is that many young lads were trainspotters. and these became teenagers and they are the ones who saved most of the locos. there was an article in the recent heritage railway. now i dont see that many young trainspotters out there. there are a few but not so many that they will run railways on that stock. People want to see steam mainly. just get the figures from railways on tickets sold. Take the NNR v MNR. where does joe blogs take his family? (i personally hope the mnr does really well in the future please dont take this as an insult towards the fantastic effort they all put in down there)

But then i suppose if you look at buses people didnt like those at the time and many are preserved so maybe your right. People look at the past with rose tinted specticals.
    does anyone know if diesel galas have been getting busier over say the past 10 years??? that would give a good indication if more people are lookin back fondly at the locos they hated 10 years ago when in service?

4. Stewie Griffin

Stewie Griffin Member

There's nothing like a bit of paint froth to set the cat among the pigeons...! I love threads like this, well done mate!

;-)

5. cct man

cct man Part of the furniture

CONSTRUCTION
    YOU have just given an opinion as I did, so why do you have a problem with that?

Regards
    Chris

6. M59137

M59137 Well-Known Member

Carriage & Wagon
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I don't really think green is quite everywhere. Many railways now show quite a balanced spread of liveries, especially with diesels. In my opinion this is good as a lot of families I see on my line refer to travelling on the "red steam" train or the "blue" engine.

Something like two green locos, a blue one and possibly something else such as railfreight is the typical line up at several railways. North Norfolk, Peak Rail & Llangollen are three examples that I can quickliy think of.

7. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    Well, it's a free country so let's not jump down anyone's throat. Klambert certainly got an interesting discussion going.

Welcome to the group.

8. cymroglan

cymroglan Member

"There is nothing like making yourself look a prat on your first posting.

Hopefully you will learn to engage brain before opening gob?, then maybe not."

Do you not these two sentences are ungracious? You have every right to hold any opinion, but surely that does not extend to include insulting a first time poster IMHO.

9. houghtonga

houghtonga Member

Chartered Engineer
    If you hang around long enough things will slowly change as with all fashions.
    In the 1960s and 70s BR liveries were still associated with the decay of the dieing days of steam. Early preserved railways such as the K&WVR, Bluebell, Welshpool & Llanfair, KESR and Lakeside even invented or adapted pre-grouping liveries to avoid the grimey BR stigma. Then the market changed to nostalgia for the baby-boomer generation and everything went BR Black or BR Green. The baby-boomers are now retiring and begining to take a less active role and younger generations born in the 70s are appearing and taking over the control of assets who are fed up of BR black everywhere and wishing to see Big Four liveries again and certain locos are now appearing in more interesting liveries again.... so the fashions keeps changing.
    I never thought EWS would be a heritage livery but now look at 37418 on the ELR. I am sure there is a 50 that is running in a preserved NSE livery.

10. cct man

CONSTRUCTION
    Insulting no, straight to the point yes.

Just maybe he will learn from this first post and not make the same mistakes that we did.

As someone wise said so many years ago, " Only your friends will tell you the truth. You will possibly not like what you hear, however your enemies would not bother".

Regards
    Chris

11. cymroglan

cymroglan Member

I suppose that we shall have to agree to disagree about what constitutes civilized behaviour. I cannot see any justification for the tone and language of your earlier post.

12. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

It takes two and the first post for an introduction to a group was equally barbed and poorly worded . Troll sprung to my mind

13. twr12

twr12 Well-Known Member

One day, someome will strip all the paint off a loco and just varnish it. Steel and filler livery anyone?

14. Stewie Griffin

Stewie Griffin Member

Depends what class it is; I fear some may traditionally be more of the latter than the former...

15. cct man

CONSTRUCTION
    Then we will have to agree to disagree then:

Regards
    Chris.

16. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

and where is klambert

17. cct man

CONSTRUCTION
    A very good point Martin, "trolling" springs to mind.

Regards
    Chris

18. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    And - according to the caption - it comes complete with 1963's livery extra - snow and ice.

(N)ice one John !

19. klambert

klambert New Member

Unfortunately my own computer is not working so I can only view threads when I have access to another computer. Sorry I came on a bit strong, believe it or not I joined in July 2009 I just didnt really reply to any threads.

20. cct man

CONSTRUCTION
    Apology accepted we all make mistakes, non more so than myself.

Regards
    Chris