If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Gwili Motive Power 2011

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Matt78, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Phil_Guard

Phil_Guard Member

Hi all -

A quick update about upcoming Santa services... due to the unavailibility of 14901 (D9524), this weekend's services will be completely steam-worked.

(It is usually Gwili tradition to operate our 'Santas' top-and-tail with steam and diesel - mainly for operational convenience, but also to act as a banker if required).

For the weekend of 10th/11th December however, No.3879 "Haulwen" will be running the intensive 45 minute timetable solo - the first train is 1015 from Bronwydd Arms, and the final departure is at 1530. A ticket allows unlimited travel, and the stock will be steam-heated. There is also a Christmas Party train on Saturday night, departing Bronwydd Arms at 1930 - this is a private hire train, but enthusiasts and photographers may be interested to know that there will be a lot of shunting at Bronwydd Arms at around 1630, to swap the sets over (over our now award-winning level crossing). It's a busy weekend for Gwili footplate crews!

For those that are interested, I'll upload a working timetable later. Linesiders note that this will be a good opportunity to get a good, winter-y 'chimney-first' shot of "Haulwen" at Cwmdwyfran.

Hopefully see some of you there, for the unusual sight of an intensive all-steam service in the icy Gwili Valley!

Cheers,

Phil.

2. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    D2178 has now returned from Bristol and has been offloaded so it now faces south. It was in use on the tail end of "santas" today with Haulwen
    Meanwhile Olwen's frames are now back at the railway having been returned from a private site in Swansea

3. ady

ady Well-Known Member

Post office
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    why she ended up there?

4. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    Rosyth No.1 and the sentinel Swansea Vale No.1 are owned by the Railway Club of Wales. The physically active members of the group moved some time ago to the Teifi Valley Railway, taking the engines with them. Rosyth I believe needs repairs to the firebox so I don't think it will work anytime soon unfortunatley.

5. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
  6. dampflok

dampflok Member

Nurse,Qualified Ward Manager now retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Nice to see the loco again . I first saw it at RAF St Athan in 1971 when it was there as backup for the diesel.

Keith