If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

GWR 2818 transferred to STEAM

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Diamond Gaz, Aug 11, 2017.

1. The Black Hat

The Black Hat Member

Defender of the Faith
    I think its fair to say that the SMG is an non-profit organisation in the service of society, that does acquire and conserve its exhibits, and researches their history in order to educate the public so that they understand the heritage of humanity and the environment that it was used. I would think that most people thus are educated when they visit and study the exhibits (even if they wander and browse) and ergo enjoyed the visit to the museum, taking with them an understanding of their history as the whole point of doing so was to come and see what's there.

Complexities start away from the definition of the Museum when you instead focus on the remit. The museum is there to showcase the best and the development of railway history in this country, as well as other areas of the globe as they have donated parts to add to the story. Due to the very nature of the exhibits mainly being static, the museum is going to be a showcase, where visitors can view, browse and admire the various engines and parts in the collection. The museum puts together displays of things such as the WWI Ambulance Train, that focus on more than just the trains, but also events and the railways place in events of the time. Hamilton's display also serves to have the same aims. By doing this the NRM is clearly putting on displays to enjoy that give people the chance to study and educate themselves on the topics, artefacts and exhibits - i.e. engines or stock.

The museum will not have moving engines as that's just impractical, so people look and see what they are interested in. It could be Mallard, it could be the class 31, and while there other engines get attention and interest. Some parts in the museum like the Channel Tunnel concrete section, the main hall turntable or the signal gantry, might equally also get attention and interest, spark curiosity as people look around. They are stationary, but they are also viewable as a showcase. You look, read about what they are, people can touch them too. There are interactive displays and games for those that are younger than most. Its a case of trying to provide the best way to showcase the engines to the biggest audience in a way that would please the most and still make it educational and enjoyable. That's no mean feat and its unsurprising that those that know more than most, i.e. enthusiasts would think that topics are wrong, when generalisations are made to convey a point of interest to the general public. It happens in every conversation where people know the subject and terminology creeps in - a railway enthusiast would struggle to comprehend the various issues involved in a technical term of something like Swimming. They might be able to swim, but when talking about the position of catch in the water and pull to return to stroke, confusion might start to creep in without demonstrations, experience or technical knowledge. So enthusiasts should realise that they will already know more than most displays they might see and although some might give accurate information on dates and times their experience will be different from the general public who will enter into the museum from a base point of less knowledge and thus will be educated and offered information that makes their experience interesting and enjoyable. If people go to the NRM and have a "I didn't know that..", or a "So that's how it works," moment then education has been achieved and the NRM succeeded by your definition. I think even on a small scale that happens for the majority of people visiting the museum.

Yet the NRM isn't just a place that showcases the engines. The environments they house exhibits need to be practical and allow the chances to view the collection. York has its Great Hall where the engines radiate outwards and can be seen alongside each other. The Station Hall has engines with stock in formation. It would be wrong to criticise Shildon, which someone has done in this thread. Its purpose first and foremost is to be a museum, to the general public, and as result the spacious interior with no internal columns allows uninterrupted views of the engines inside, disabled access, ease of storage of stock and ability to host varied events. The apron at the front allows people to safely see engines outdoors and get up close and personal - safely. That space is fantastic for events and its no surprise events like the Great Gathering gave better views and access at Shildon, rather than York. Leicester North is now envisaged to follow this development. Yet, its right that the museum looks modern and has the ability to host all the needs of the public. It is not an engine shed, it is not there to look like a building from a buy gone era. Instead it is there to proudly showcase the collection in the 21st Century, and personally I like a modern building and setting to showcase events that happen today as this today is still a chapter in a story that isn't finished.

The NRM has many varied roles to play because of its status, its position as the National centre and because of the collection it has. If it was not successful in achieving its purpose as a museum by definition then it would not have the world renowned reputation that it has built to date. It clearly succeeds by your definition and extends that by furthering its remit on its work and by the numbers of people that it can attract to experience the visit. Its role still further grows into the preservation movement and the custodians of items national heritage of priceless value. The NRM has become more than a Museum, its an Institution, and one where we as those with knowledge meet those who share curiosity or interest in the topic. The NRM belongs and appeals to both. Perhaps some here need to recognise that a little more and how it succeeds in pleasing both.

2. Enterprise

Enterprise Part of the furniture

I should be most obliged if you would tell me where I have written that the NRM is failing.

3. Platform 3

Platform 3 Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    My view on the NRM is that the York site does need to thin out its number of locomotives to better tell the story of 'railways'. It seems that the NRM is thinking similar thoughts having read recent reports. The idea of a museum that comprehensively tells the story of railways and their impact on Britain and the world does not currently exist, and recent excellent tv social histories of the railways have shown the great variety of stories to be told.

I am not suggesting thinning out the national collection - with outstations and loan arrangements there should be plenty of high quality places for stock to go, but the old 'engines round a turntable' format really is in need of a change.

huochemi likes this.
  4. Enterprise

Enterprise Part of the furniture

I agree with much of what you have written in this post but my concerns about the direction of development of the NRM and all the associated museums in the group remain. I believe the emphasis of a museum's purpose should be to educate and not to be just a divertissement. I fear the direction is towards the latter.