If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

GWR 'Dean Goods' no. 2516 - suggested restoration in Steam Railway issue no. 401

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by PortRoadFan, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

From facebook

James Littlewood > The Dean Goods Project

Jul 24It is with a heavy heart that I must inform you all that I have made the decision to step down permanently from my position as Project Chairman and relinquish all involvement with this project.It is not because I do not believe the aims of The Dean Goods Project are possible; it is not because I doubt any of the members of the team nor anyone else for that matter; it is not because I believe the project will fail or take "too long" or any other such nonsense. Alas, there have been personal disagreements involving myself, and my life has gotten to the point where I am unable to make time for The Dean Goods Project anymore. Thus, I feel I am no longer able to fulfill the role of Project Chairman in any respect. I want this project to succeed, and if I were to continue to hold said position I would be stopping it from doing so.Despite the aforementioned personal disagreements I very much hope that I will be leaving on good terms. I do not doubt that my reputation in the heritage scene will be tarnished by this, or that many had seen this coming - I acknowledge all of that, and more.I would like to give my personal thanks to each and every member of this group and of The Dean Goods Project itself; especially but of course not solely those who have contributed in various ways. This does of course include what negative criticism has also been constructive; one cannot ignore this. Many of you have offered your help in various ways, and the Project has received much more attention than expected.In conclusion, I would like to wish the very best to all members of The Dean Goods Project, and to the project itself; I still hope that there will be a Dean Goods steaming yet, and I am sure that, no matter how much time and effort it takes, that goal will be reached in the future.My very best to you all,James LittlewoodFormer Project ChairmanLike·Comment·FollowJonathan Malton likes this.Seen by 112Andy StovoldI think I can speak for everyone here at the DGP that we wouldn't have got to the stage that we are in now if it hadn't been for you.Even though this resignation can be regarded as a blow to the group it can also be seen as an opportunity for the DGP to move on and gain some momentum and get closer to our goals.I personally thank you for everything you've done for this group and I now take over as acting Project Chairman until a replacement is found or another future is set for the project.Edited · Like · 4 · Jul 24Derwent RailwayShame. All the bestLike · 1 · Jul 24SSgt Iron LawlOh blast... Nevermind, it's been an honour being a member of the DGP!Like · 3 · Jul 25Aled Kowalski-WilliamsThe captain has jumped from his sinking ship?Like · 3 · Jul 25Joe FitzjohnOh for goodness sake, is that all you enthusiasts do is grumble and point out flaws? Thats all you have to do now a days don't you? Never grateful for what you have or what could come to be. Yes the Dean goods project might not be instantaneous, true it might not have the planning of something like the claud Hamilton group, but for goodness sakes ladies and gentlemen, at the end of the day, its about a group of people coming together with the common interest to bringing a steam locomotive into reality. True its rather complicated in terms of engineering. But its skills that can be picked up :I Seriously though why all the hate? Compared with new build groups such as the J39 newbuild group, or even the newbuild diesel LMS 10000, this has gotten the furthest, so lets now waste that shall we? Just because someone has stepped down, doesn't mean no one isn't allowed to step in his place.Like · 2 · Jul 25Mark VrettosI don't know what's gone on behind the scenes But, just a few negative individuals will always be there on any project. The test of the resolve of the projects membership is how they rise above this and carry on. I think any talk of calling it a day would be to cave in.Like · 3 · Jul 25Lms Patriotproject NewbuildWhats the problem the Lms 10000?Like · Jul 26

2. marshall5

marshall5 Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Not really surprised - I still believe the lads tried 'to bite off more than they could chew' and should have got some experience on an existing project first. Having said that I believe that a 'Dean Goods' would be a far more useful loco than most of the mooted 'new builds' particularly as a boiler exists. I am surprised to read recently that Didcot are going ahead with a Dean single and a 4-4-0 County - I would have though that something like the 'Dean Goods' would be a lot more practical. Ray.

3. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

I'd have thought for Didcot, with half a mile of running line, practicality doesn't really come into it. Far more important for their particular aims to build something interesting or which plugs a significant gap - hence the Dean single, which is far more likely to attract funding from their members, than a humble goods loco of which an example already exists.

The same logic doesn't apply to other lines with longer and more strenuous routes, where a simple, Victorian 0-6-0 goods would be ideal for many lines (take your pick of specific design according to region). But probably a difficult ask financially to get donors to chip in for.

Tom

4. Jamessquared

Looks like there are rival Dean Goods projects:

This link appeared on the Bluebell Facebook page, from "Stuart Reeder" (a name, for aficionados of FaceBook newbuilds, that brings a copper-bottomed guarantee ;-)
    https://www.facebook.com/TheDeanGoods

And via that link, this one:
    http://sjrcgt4life.wix.com/dean-goods-newbuild

Though the FaceBook page says:

"I would like to take this opportunity to say that 'The Dean Goods new build Project' is not connected in any way or form to 'The Dean Goods project'."

Encouragingly, the copyright on the website is (c) 2023, so maybe it wasn't planned to go live just yet :)

So that's all nice and clear then!

Tom

5. marshall5

marshall5 Well-Known Member

Now that the GCSE's are over maybe Stuart has more time to devote to the project. The 2023 date probably allows them time to finish the J39 and L1 first! Ray.

6. dampflok

dampflok Member

Nurse,Qualified Ward Manager now retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Will the J 39 be known as the "copper kettle " ?

7. stuartreeder

stuartreeder Member

this is the only group i have now and i will listen more and hope more people will join and help move the project forward if possible

thanks

Stuart Reeder

https://www.facebook.com/TheDeanGoods

8. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Will the real L1 rebuild please stand up...
    If I recall there was 3 L1 rebuild plans... Southern L1, LNER L1 and a Bachmann L1.
    One of them involved a fowler tender rental scheme I recall, whilst the other was to use different boiler sizes / driving wheels and frames to make it more suitable for a certain preserved railway and the 3rd involved recreating a long lost cardboard display carton made to modern standards to put it in.

Must stop myself and behave now...
    Now now Adb...

9. irwellsteam

irwellsteam Member

-
    Hmmm, does this sound familiar to anyone else?

10. Jamessquared

OK, if you are in listening mode: If you really want to see a new Dean Goods running within, say, the next twenty years, then pool your energies with the other group rather than doing your own thing. Personally, I can't see either project being successful - however useful such an engine would be, there is not enough "wow" factor to help prise money out of wallets, bearing in mind an original example already exists - but whatever slim chance of success there is, it won't be helped by having competing projects.

Tom

Chris86, paulhitch and lil Bear like this.
  11. stuartreeder

stuartreeder Member

i did say to a few of their members that they should do a new build as it maybe easier and cheaper than trying to get 2516 out of its current place and restore her but they didn't want to build from new they wanted to get 2516 out and restore her.

12. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

They shouldnt resteam 2516... AFAIK it is the only surviving GW engine with a genuine coat of Magnolia paint inside it's firebox.
    (Look on the net there are images of it) :)

Martin Perry likes this.
  13. stuartreeder

stuartreeder Member

yeh doesnt look to good

14. Miff

Miff Part of the furniture Friend

Apparently they changed their obective from new-build after discovering an unknown person (could it be yet anoter new-build group?) has first refusal on the boiler at Blanaevon and has put down a deposit. I don't know whether they enquired about the other former Dean Goods boiler, the one at Didcot.

15. stuartreeder

stuartreeder Member

i dont know but i was also told about a deposit was put on the boiler

16. m0rris

m0rris New Member

The details are a little hazy but I'm pretty sure the one the'd have been interested in and the one "at Didcot" are the same. IIRC, when Didcot was taken over by the GWS there was a static ex-Dean Goods boiler on site, in the subsequent years this was removed and bought for use with a Pannier tank (I am more than happy to be corrected on this one though!).

As for a new build Dean Goods... we'll have a Dean Single before we have another Dean Goods IMHO. As lovely a prototype as they are the Goods are, they already represented in preservation and consequently lack the X-Factor needed for a new build project.

17. stuartreeder

stuartreeder Member

thank you for your input everyone who has commented so far

18. Miff

I believe both boilers are former stationary conversions. The one at Blanaevon was previously located at the Worth Valley Railway, don't know its history before that except Heritage Railway reported it had a new firebox and had never been steamed after Swindon converted it for stationary duties which never materialised. Blanaevon may be willing to sell as they've found a genuine pannier boiler for their loco. The other ex Dean Goods boiler was the stationary boiler used at Didcot shed and was there when the GWS moved in. A member of this forum reported it was still there not so long ago, and might in fact be ultimately owned by Network Rail, as landlords, since it was part of the 'fixtures and fittings' in the original lease - I don't know whether this has changed in the new Didcot lease.

19. Miff

Just to add to my above post a Didcot member, on page one of this thread, reported their stationary boiler was not a Dean Goods but was from a Cambrian 0-6-0. Pictures of this boiler are on page 2 and another poster offered the possibility that it may be a Swindon boiler type fitted both to re-boilered ex-Cambrian locos and to Dean Goods. Naturally I will defer to more expert opinion if anybody has a definite answer!

20. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

So, how is something with 7ft. 8ins driving wheels and limited adhesion going to earn its keep on a 25mph tourist railway? It would not have the capacity to do so on the main line either. Can we have an outbreak of reality on this thread please.

PH