If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

GWR Streamlined Castle : 5005 Manorbier Castle

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by neildimmer, Jun 18, 2015.

1. andrewshimmin

andrewshimmin Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Quite. As far as I can see, nothing much of the advances in wind tunnel scale testing would affect the findings of something as (aerodynamically) simple as drag / wake of a moving locomotive, as such, I imagine those which performed well in tests in the 30s (A4 and PC) would still be found to be relatively effective with any testing done now.

Although doing some CFD on the various designs, or getting some Hornby models in the wind tunnel, would be fun!

With steam locos it is the effect of cross-winds on steam drifting back which is also important.

It also has to be remembered that the APPEARANCE of streamlining (fast, modern) was as important as the reality for commercial organisations like the railways. Most of the American streamlined steam locos, for example, were for looks only with no intention of real performance enhancement.

(My own experience is mostly with hydraulic scale model testing lately although I have done subsonic and supersonic wind tunnel testing in the past).

maddog and LMS2968 like this.