If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

GWSR Broadway Developments

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Breva, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Breva

Breva Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Yes, thank you, looks the same.

2. Pesmo

Pesmo Member

Greenway, that is a very useful link. The photo's in Gallery 2 in particular when the station was derelict with the roof sheets missing shows that essentially the structural steelwork was identical to the other stations.

3. Breva

Breva Well-Known Member

Next to a drawing of the roof - still haven't found one - we would be interested in offers of GWR lamp posts for the platform. We are willing to come and dig it out, if you want to pass on yours ! We have one from Littleton & Badsey, and another from Caerphilly, but need quite a few more.
    Also looking for 14 or more rollers to go under the signal box sliding windows. We have 14, need 28 !

michaelh likes this.
  4. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Have you looked in the wastes of Winchcombe yard? There's all sorts of cr@p, err, I mean useful stuff there that will be used one day... :D I know there's at least one red telephone box if you fancy another one...

michaelh likes this.
  5. Breva

Breva Well-Known Member

Oh yes.... that's where we got the street lamps from, that now stand along some of Broadway's platform. Unfortunately not GWR at all. It's not too late to get it right!

6. Breva

Breva Well-Known Member

More details have emerged for what is planned for Broadway station.

Many people believe it will be the 'Jewel in the Crown' but with what is now planned it will unfortunately not be so. While the brickwork will be authentic, the heritage stops above eye level. Instead of the airy GWR canopy as at Toddington, a freelance design is planned, which will look very similar to that at Cheltenham Race Course. The brick facade on the platform side will be built all the way up into the roof, with just an overhang for the canopy, supported by modern box section steel trusses. The Broadway Area Group, who have built over 400 yds of platform in reclaimed brick, and achieved a superb GWR heritage signal box, are stunned by this plan. The freelance design, on which work is about to start, is driven by the belief that it is cheaper to build, and that few passengers will look up.

How can we rescue our beautiful heritage building?

7. flying scotsman123

Out of interest Jo, who's decision is this, and what is the difference between costs of the Toddington style and the CRC style?

The Dainton Banker likes this.
  8. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    The second question is particularly pertinent as I for one would not wish to comment further without knowing more about the cost difference. If the difference is relatively little, then the answer is simple - we all cough up just a bit more dosh for authenticity. It all depends, of course, how much the difference is.

9. michaelh

michaelh Part of the furniture

Very comfortably early retired

Unfortunately the GWSR has (bad) form on heritage issues - see the signal boxes at Cheltenham and Gotherington

DanW likes this.
  10. frazoulaswak

frazoulaswak Member

Retired (at last!)
    One has to wonder what the effect of a development like this will have on the morale of the members of the BAG who have already invested an immense amount of their time in constructing the platforms and signalbox.

It is quite conceivable that the penny pinching GWSR management may have to decide whether it is cheaper to build an entirely authentic looking set of station buildings, including GWR style canopy, with the continued free labour input of the BAG team, or pay for external contractors to build the bastardised freelance structure that they have in mind in its entirety.

For my part, I think that I will be reconsidering my monthly investment in GWSR shares should the GWSR management not see sense.

11. Breva

Breva Well-Known Member

The decision was taken at board level. The Broadway Area Group, who have rebuilt the station so far, now has very little say in matters here. You can imagine the effect on morale.
    I have not seen any evidence of differences in costs. Indeed, I do not think that it is possible to get a sound estimate for an authentic canopy without full management support.

It has been suggested by an outside consultant that we could fabricate the GWR canopy as a kit of parts, and a number of the active volunteers would certainly be willing to do so.

12. GWR Man.

GWR Man. Well-Known Member

Sound like they should have just built a bus stop shelter then, against doing a proper job.

13. frazoulaswak

frazoulaswak Member

Retired (at last!)
    What does the local planning authority have to say about this change? Were architectural drawings submitted in support of the planning application, and if so, did these show a GWR style canopy?

14. Thompson1706

Thompson1706 Part of the furniture

Retired
    They should have the heritage police chasing them !
    Once it's built that's it for ever . It should be easy to reproduce the original from the photographs available.
    They'll be using upper quadrant signals next.

Bob.

15. nigelss

nigelss Member

I have been following the efforts of the BAG via their blog over the years and have been amazed by their dedication to the cause and the excellent job they have done so far. I am very disappointed to hear that the ship may now be spoilt for a ha'porth of tar. The difference in costs needs to be specified by the board to the membership. I just looked at a picture of the Toddington canopy earlier in this thread (#37) and cannot believe that anyone would think it acceptable to replace the bright airy space above with a solid mass. As a shareholder I'll try to write and let the board know what I think about it. If others do the same it might trigger a rethink.

16. michaelh

michaelh Part of the furniture

Very comfortably early retired
    As a shareholder I wrote and protested about the designs of the signal boxes at Cheltenham and Gotherington. I did not even get the courtesy of a reply.

17. flying scotsman123

Maybe I'm a little naive, but why would the board choose to go for a non'heritage canopy rather than a heritage one based merely an a whim? There must be some rationale including rough estimates somewhere? I can't believe that the board don't care at all about heritage aspects, although this of course has to be weighed up against cost. You say you haven't seen any evidence of differences in cost, but equally have you seen any evidence showing they are near enough the same? Have the "number of the active volunteers" presented their idea of a kit canopy to the board with a rough estimate (presumably won't need to be to the nearest penny but some idea of scope), or has it just been conversations over tea break?

I feel like I ought to know more before agreeing with one side or the other, I'm quite prepared to agree with either depending on the facts.

On a separate note, has heritage lottery funding been looked at, perhaps for this in particular rather than just for the general rebuilding of Broadway station?

18. andyc

andyc New Member

I'm guessing it is something that could maybe built separately so surely the powers that be could just ring fence the money to be spent on it and the BAG raise the additional funds needed and build it at a later date. Yes it may make the station look unfinished to start with but surely better in the long term rather than something that could stand out like a sore thumb.

19. JMJR1000

JMJR1000 Member

If all this is true then it's terrible to think that all of BAG's efforts to make it the best authentic GWR station around could be ruined by the board's supposedly cost saving plan.
    The signal boxes I can understand the reasoning at the time to an extent, but after all the sweat and tears of the effort being put into this, this surely cannot stand!

Shareholders must be made aware of this and the grave consequence it'll bring, in turn forcing these folks at the top to answer for themselves and have their senses knocked back in order. So riled has this potential plan got me going, I'd go so far to put on a full pelt protest, akin to the movement for the WSR ownership and SVR Bridgnorth redevelopment dispute. I'd even be so bold as to suggest that perhaps the BAG people, who are no doubt not happy about this news to say the least, halt their progress on the project all together and refuse to continue till this issue is resolved. Extreme I know, but far too often things like this are allowed to happen with only a few grumbles that far too easily let these things just happen, it should not be permitted to happen on this case.

Yorkshireman and std tank like this.
  20. flying scotsman123

I think you're being somewhat hasty there. All we have heard is comments from one member of the BAG; absolutely nothing official, nothing even from the chairman. I'd like to know a bit more about the board's decision before making one of my own.