If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

GWSR General Discussion and Operations

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by michaelh, Aug 25, 2013.

1. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Oh well that answers that question, it's now red timetable instead of green post-Christmas so the DMU is filling the third diagram. Ah well, can't have it all I suppose, at least there will be heating!

2. Mark Thompson

Mark Thompson Well-Known Member

No I do not currently volunteer
  3. Breva

Breva Well-Known Member

The shot was melancholy, but we were not. Just cold. We are making steady progress with the footbridge. After that, it's the canopy extension of P1 to the footbridge bottom, then the same on P2, linking to the P2 building which is currently at the design stage. There is definitely a will to get on with it. A kind sponsor has already offered to pay for the spearhead fencing from the southern end of P2 to0 the end of the future P2 building. It's a generous gift!

4. Andy B

Andy B Member

Let’s hope the post Christmas trains have some sunshine, certainly a chance to get something like this with a train in

5. Breva

Breva Well-Known Member

If I am not mistaken, only the DMU will go to Broadway, and even then it will stop short, with the station unstaffed.

If you want a glint shot, you need a special on a winter's day. With sun.

6. flying scotsman123

Those are for the Santa trains, not the post-Christmas services. The full line is open as normal every day from Boxing day to new year, a combination of purple (2 steam) and red (2 steam and DMU) timetables, so there's a few opportunities.
    The last weekend or two of the normal season is probably good enough too depending on where half term and subsequent running dates fall, certainly this year I distinctly remember getting the lamps out for the last trip up to Broadway and back to Toddington with 9466 on the last weekend of October.
    So it can be done with normal services, you just need to be lucky! :)

7. Breva

Breva Well-Known Member

I shall watch the weather like a hawk :)

flying scotsman123 likes this.
  8. Mark Thompson

Mark Thompson Well-Known Member

Thats a lot of fencing. A positive Zulu war of spears! Its great to know that the will is there, and things are moving. I look forward to seeing the plans for P2.

9. banburysaint

banburysaint Member

A lovely day yesterday on the Gwr Santa service. Thank you to all the team who helped organise and deliver the event. It was a magical and relaxing experience with excellent presents from Santa for our 6 year old, who even got a extra from Santa but we aren't allowed to say what it is...... But we can hear it ring...

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
  10. Breva

Breva Well-Known Member

You must have been on one of these trains, which passed us by on the track in the morning:

IMG_20191221_120448489.jpg

We had a quick repair job to do, and were just waiting for the train to pass and give us 20 minutes.

11. Andy B

Andy B Member

ABCD8AAA-AF18-4C51-8B4D-4302E6A2F3FF.jpeg It’s not only broadway that gets the low sun! The whole line is pretty good, with large parts on embankments. Took these this afternoon during my driving turn on 7820 6E2F799B-FDD9-430D-8895-FC9C92DD1A39.jpeg

12. flying scotsman123

We should definitely do more operating in the dark, everyone seems to enjoy it. Overnight running for the gala next year? ;) Hopefully you'll have at least one willing guard by then, any excuse to try out my new oil lamp. :)

jnc likes this.
  13. NathanP

NathanP Member

An enjoyable day on the railway today, with both Dinmore Manor and 9466 in service. One minor setback early afternoon when 9466 got some broken springs and was taken out of service, replaced by a Class 47 diesel.

I was very surprised by how busy the first train from Cheltenham to Broadway was, far busier than any other train. Most people getting on at Cheltenham seemed to be going to Broadway for the day.
    It just goes to show that, with the extension to Broadway, GWSR is no longer just attracting visitors who want to spend all day riding the trains, but is now also attracting regular daytrippers using the railway as a genuine form of transport.

14. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    A steady drive through the stunning Cotswold countryside to Cheltenham Racecourse, a steam train journey through to Broadway, a gentle walk to the beautiful village, followed by lunch.

What is there not to like? <BJ>

15. Andy B

Andy B Member

It’s nothing too serious with 9466, it’s unfortunate- I was supposed to be on it tomorrow. 7820 will now stay in traffic and be joined by 2807 operating its last two steamings before heavy general overhaul.

flying scotsman123 likes this.
  16. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    Yes, tomorrow marks the last day in service (pending any last-minute snags etc) for 2807 before it is withdrawn for its 1st major overhaul since being restored from Barry condition in 2010. Regrettably, I'm unable to be there tomorrow to witness it for myself but I look forward to the photos which I'm sure will appear! We've really enjoyed looking after this, the oldest locomotive ever to "grace" Barry Scrapyard, and there is a cunning plan to return it to service as soon as possible, both in terms of the practical and the financial aspects. That said, we all know that steam locomotives have a habit of throwing problems and emptying wallets so I would urge people to support us in order to get 2807 back on track as soon as possible. It was a rather more daunting project that faced us in 1977 as the photo (taken at Barry in 1977) shows.
    19770000-2807 Barry Scrapyard 1977.jpg

Andy B, 35B, AndyY and 5 others like this.
  17. Adam Tandy

Adam Tandy Member

My footage of 2807 on her penultimate day before being withdrawn for overhaul.

Andy B and Mark Thompson like this.
  18. JJJ

JJJ New Member

Any ideas what the railway is going to do with the garden centre building and associated land.

Perfect as a shop and or a cafe but not sure if thats the 1st thing you'll want to see when you arrive. On the positive, as it's outside sites security line at present and has 60 car parking spaces, it could be open independent of the main site, out of season and on non running days.

Could also free up the original station waiting room that was converted to the shop many years ago, to be restored to its former glory.

19. flying scotsman123

So far, a larger shop and more car parking seem to be in the picture, possibly more. And yes, moving the shop out of the station at Toddington will permit the restoration of the first class waiting room and inside booking office, that's already in @Breva 's crosshairs! :)

20. Breva

Breva Well-Known Member

With funding from the GWRT we were already able to buy a pair of original crowd barrier posts in anticipation.

The idea is to redevelop the entire Toddington yard space, north of the loco sheds. Give it a bottom up review.
    The garden centre car park is already being used.
    The building is pencilled in to be replaced by a more permanent, heritage sympathetic structure incorporating both cafe and shop, with the turntable nearby.

Also pencilled in were a 5 year redevelopment time line, and a separate fundraiser. The plc's finances are currently heavily committed to the Isbourne bank repairs, the viaduct work, paying for Churchward house and dealing with the two slips at Winchcombe and Gotherington.