If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

GWSR General Discussion and Operations

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by michaelh, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer

5944 likes this.
  2. Adam Tandy

Adam Tandy Member

7903 Foremarke Hall in action along the GWSR this morning -

flying scotsman123 likes this.
  3. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
    ghost and jnc like this.
  4. Dunfanaghy Road

Dunfanaghy Road Well-Known Member

Retired
    I've just had a look. Very nice.
    I didn't know how to add a comment concerning Peter Bennett's health. Having had that diagnosis myself I sympathise. Here's hoping he can get over it, and in the meantime KBO ((c) W. Churchill).
    Pat

5. flying scotsman123

Thank you! I've just given up trying to figure out the code needed to do what I want to do for a stocklist, and passed it onto a colleague. Once he's given me a hand I'll start populating those pages, carriages first, it'll be a while!
    Yes, we're all hoping for some positive news for Peter. We've had several volunteers with prostate cancer who have all recovered. To leave a comment just click "[X] comments" or "post a comment" at the bottom of the post and enter your comment.

6. Monkey Magic

Monkey Magic Part of the furniture

Under the photo of Peter Bennett and his wife, it says ‘by Alex’ 2 comments, click on the speech bubble, click where it says enter your comment.

Good work, a comment and not a criticism, I quite like how the NNR carriage blog is laid out with the different projects and updates on them, but that is more a weekly round up blog, but you can follow a project along over several months or even years. Obviously, every blogger has their own style.

Always good to see the stuff about bogies, much more interesting than interiors or paintwork :)

jnc likes this.
  7. Breva

Breva Well-Known Member

Good news for us this morning, we have received a £318.000 grant from the Culture Recovery Fund.

The Dinmore Manor Loco Group got £26.100 too! It's to be used on 3850, the one with the new cylinders.

If I'm not mistaken, this is the first time ever the GWSR successfully applied for a grant. Result! I'm over the moon.

Here's a nice picture from Wednesday to celebrate:
    IMG_20201007_112527203.jpg

We're still running as you can see, so do come and visit us.

8. daveannjon

daveannjon Well-Known Member

Thought you might like to hear what my friend Bob thought about his Glos Warks experience last week, very positive :) He is a carriage volunteer so his comment about the Mk1 moquette is not about its condition, just the appearance, possibly NSE?

My only heritage rail journey of the year, and its taken until October to do it. Needless to say the G &W gave an enjoyable afternoon out in these sanitised times . Boarded the train at Toddington ,which has the engineering facilities, before going to Cheltenham Racecourse and up to the new extension at Broadway. They might not have many paid staff, which is a good thing, but volunteers in uniforms were in abundance, which started from turning into the the station approach and being greeted with information on parking the car , toilets ,cafe and boarding the train . The cafe had 3 staff serving and a fourth by the entrance door to remind any one without a mask, and also how to exit by an end door . Having checked in 20 minutes before departure the platform had at least 8 staff showing people to the entry coach door and explaining to leave by the end doors . The BR Mk 1 coach in chocolate and cream was only let down by the appalling moquette, which I noticed was on several other coaches so they must have bought a cheap job lot. Each compartment had a refuse bag on the seat for use by the occupants which would save time and handling by the cleaning staff.
    No on board catering facilities but I had pre-ordered my lunch which was brought to my seat at Winchcombe station. Toilets not in use but in an emergency the staff would unlock one. At the racecourse a temporary snack bar was erected on the platform which needless to say did a roaring trade whilst the loco ran round . All staff smiling and in uniform, not a hi-vis jacket to be seen, , all pots and planters well tended and all signs cleaned. Not big things, not even expensive, but just gives a professional and cared for look.
    Not only is Broadway village one of the most attractive in the area but so also is the new station complex, a replica of the original. I hadn't realised that Winchcombe station isn't original either, but one moved from somewhere near Newport, Mons.
    Most of the wow factor is of course only if you like GWR. Not as good as the SVR but a very close second, and full marks for getting the railway running and giving people the best experience possible in these Covid times.

Well done GWSR.
    Dave

9. flying scotsman123

Thanks for passing that on! :) Yes, some of our moquette is sadly NSE I think. It tends to be in some of the compartment coaches we don't use as often, up until this year that is. We managed to do some quick repaints on these carriages where required but re-upholstering what is essentially in good condition is a bit beyond wat was likely to be achieved. I'd like to think as it becomes life expired it will be replaced by something more appropriate. We're quite keen on this red chainlink moquette at the moment, which I'm sure you'll agree is much more appropriate and has been used more recently.

[​IMG]

(picture courtesy of the Bluebell, for convenience)

10. Monkey Magic

Monkey Magic Part of the furniture

Don't mock the moquette

11. Penrhynfan

Penrhynfan New Member

[QUOTE="

My only heritage rail journey of the year, and its taken until October to do it. Needless to say the G &W gave an enjoyable afternoon out in these sanitised times .

Snip...

Well done GWSR.
    Dave[/QUOTE]

I had a very similar experience 3 weeks ago. I was unsure as whether the extra necessary restrictions would spoil the enjoyment and relaxation of a visit and ride. I needn't have been concerned as the staff were smart, pleasant and efficient in a non-fussy way.
    Full credit must go to everyone involved.

12. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

13. flying scotsman123

14. Adam Tandy

Adam Tandy Member

My video showing 4270 and 35006 crossing paths at Toddington this afternoon -

15. Leafent

Leafent New Member

Does anyone know if there is anything happening with Peckett 1976 'John?'

16. flying scotsman123

It's privately owned by a volunteer, who is working on overhauling it to full working condition as and when time permits.

17. Andy B

Andy B Member

The chassis is largely complete. Looked like work was starting on the boiler with a new smoke box being built. There were a handful of volunteers helping out regularly on the project.

18. jnc

jnc Well-Known Member

The Carriage and Wagon blog has an interesting post here, with pictures of the trackbed north of Broadway, etc.

Looking at the distant pictures of Broadway station, it's a bit hard to recall that not too many years ago, there was absolutely nothing there. It's a fine memorial to those we've since lost, who all worked so hard to bring it to us (not to forget those are thankfully still with us, of course).

Noel

19. flying scotsman123

There's another one here with some pics of the Honeybourne to Stratford section. During the November lockdown I also had a chance to scan a few old photos in from a large collection held by C&W here and here. I've yet to upload some of the as then unoccupied trackbed between Toddington and Broadway, including the missing bridge!

Seeing as I'm here and it took a fair amount of effort, I also got round to sorting out a comprehensive wagon list for the blog. A few of us are trying to get wagon restoration going again with a more focused approach, inspired by the likes of the GCR, Nene Valley and others. We have the makings of a magnificent freight train or 3 (yes!) with a bit of effort. We have the stock, the labour, and the resources, just need some organisation, logistics and a starting pistol!

20. audlin2

audlin2 New Member

Good effort on the wagon list!

Looking forward to the freight gala with three freights ...

flying scotsman123 likes this.