If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

GWSR General Discussion and Operations

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by michaelh, Aug 25, 2013.

1. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Genuine question: could you please explain how a PA system at Broadway can help the gwsr to meet the requirements of the dda?
    Thanks

2. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

The interest of the management at too many railways now stops at money. I attribute that to the new generations of "professional" managers who seem to have no feel for heritage other than a way of bring in more money.

zigzag likes this.
  3. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

No I do not currently volunteer
    It would be the Equalities Act 2010, which replaced the DDA. And the answer to that is simple - it provides a means by which those who cannot read can hear essential information.

The more interesting question would be why a PA is considered essential to fulfil that legal duty of providing a reasonable adjustment to assist those passenger when the railway has presumably been fully legally compliant for the last 4 years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Bikermike

Bikermike Well-Known Member

Because there is a continuing duty to review and make reasonable adjustments. What was once compliant may no longer be.

5. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Thank you both.

Could it not be argued that a simple announcement by station staff would suffice? There must be many railways across the UK who don't use tannoys at their stations but who have never been accused of not being compliant with equality law?

6. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
    I would not have too much objection to a hidden tannoy speaker system hidden above the station building. Where I object is the use of such equipment for just blatant advertising. "Don't forget to look on the website and book your Santa Special" "Dining trains for those special moments" "On offer today in the restaurant is.." Before you know it the quiet day out to relieve the past becomes a nightmare.

7. Breva

Breva Well-Known Member

The station has operated quite happily for the last 4 years. It is a simple one, with just one platform and one train. The loudspeaker system is being sold as a convenience to customers, nothing about health & safety or legal obligations.

Recently a portable loud hailer was used, kept in the store room. That seems perfectly adequate. That said, the first (and only time so far) that I have heard it used was to advertise a rucksack that had been found.

It is the slow turn of the screw - first the security cameras, next the public address system, next....

Maybe this:
    IMG_3375 resize.jpg

That's a Toddington.
    There is currently no mechanism preventing the users from altering the station in any way they wish.

35B likes this.
  8. Sidmouth4me

Sidmouth4me Member

Retired
    Re Broadway; I’d say that when platform 2 becomes operational then a tannoy would become essential when ever a passenger train were to depart from there so as to advise passengers, as I otherwise could foresee passengers ever waiting on platform 1 as the train departs platform 2. So if it platform 2 were to become operational then one might as well install the tannoy sooner than later…

9. Breva

Breva Well-Known Member

Deltic 55019 ROYAL HIGHLAND FUSILIER was out on a test run to Winchcombe and back today.
    Here it is passing Hayles Abbey halt:

This loco will be in use during our 3 day gala this weekend, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
    It trundled past us rather calmly on a light engine run, but there will be more noise and clag when it gets its 7 coach consist! We listened to it idling by the loco shed, and you could feel your chest throb.

Johnme101 and MikeParkin65 like this.
  10. Adam Tandy

Adam Tandy Member

LMS Ivatt 2MT 2-6-0 No. 46521 putting in some cracking performances out on the GWSR yesterday afternoon.

Johnme101 and Andy B like this.
  11. Biermeister

Biermeister Member

Brewer
    Can anyone identify the bird whistling on this video? (Perhaps it is responding to the Deltic...)

12. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    Due to the lack of steam on the main line and heritage centres I decided to visit the GWRly for their heritage diesel gala. I have to admit that I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The star of the show was obviously Deltic 55.019, a reminder for me of Kings Cross in the 1970s, but the home fleet of 5081, 20.137, 37.215, 47.105, 47.376 and 45.149 ensured the visit was worthwhile.

The timetable worked well and all services ran to time. Let's hope that the railway made a healthy profit and will run another similar event. Well done to the GWRly for such an enjoyable day out. <BJ>

MattA, Copper-capped, Breva and 2 others like this.
  13. Breva

Breva Well-Known Member

I guess lots of people have pictures of the Deltic during the gala today(well we certainly saw lots of people) so here's a shot of that old Sulzer giving us a bit of clag:
    IMG_20220730_130727609 resize.jpg

The picture was taken from the back of the PWay Landie at Greet. 5081 slowed for the outer home by the tunnel, then saw the arm drop and gave it a bit of wellie.
    55019 was unbelievably smokey when out of sight (eg in Greet tunnel) but the evidence poured out a few minutes later. Far smokier than any steam engine I've ever seen come out of that!

Johnme101 and Matt37401 like this.
  14. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Smoke from diesels is probably worse than smoke from steam locos and certainly shouldn't be encouraged and photos of such not published.

Sheff, mdewell and used2be like this.
  15. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    Whilst not the best of photos as @Breva’s said it had slowed down and was then opened up, not the best way of treating a Sulzer power unit but it only has to be for 1/200th of a second to show off a load of black smoke.
    I’m guessing you’ve never been around a Class 50 on a cold start?

16. Lineisclear

Lineisclear Member

Revelling in the emission of diesel smoke and clag, especially publishing pictures and videos of it, puts the future of heritage diesel at risk.
    The emission of dark smoke is already an offence for which, perversely, the owner can be fined simply on the production of such evidence. There are limited exceptions, such as start up from cold but during normal operation failing to take all reasonable measures to avoid dark smoke could be an expensive mistake.
    Unlike steam locomotive emissions diesel emissions do not enjoy similar exclusions from air quality legislation. They are known to include carcinogens and sub two micron particulates. There is no specific allowance for heritage diesels built at a time when such technicalities were not considered. If air quality, when tested by a Local Authority falls below specified levels, it has no discretion under the legislation and must issue an Abatement Notice. If the problem persists they must issue a Prohibition Notice.
    The risk is greatest where heritage railways are near housing (even if built after the railway started operating).
    Any one encouraging or celebrating clag is potentially scoring an own goal.

17. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

I don't think anyone was revelling in it. The post preceding yours merelyexplained why such smoke was being produced at the time the photo was taken.

Matt37401 and Breva like this.
  18. Lineisclear

Lineisclear Member

Maybe not what Breva intended but it's hard to put any other interpretation on it.
    There are photos and video on social media that enthuse about the production of diesel smoke. If I recall correctly there was even one under the banner of "40 minutes of neighbour annoying clag".
    Those who want excellent diesel events, such as the GWSR Gala, to continue need to be mindful of legal controls on emissions. Those who see dark smoke as desirable, ( and the same can be true of steam enthusiasts as well) need to temper that enthusiasm for the good of the heritage railway movement

Sheff, Steve, 30854 and 2 others like this.
  19. Breva

Breva Well-Known Member

Nobody on here sees 'dark smoke as desirable'. That is an erroneous interpretation. Certainly not me.

I photographed several locomotives on this spot, and chose the one with a momentary puff of smoke as it had more life in it than the apparently stationary blue box.

35B and Matt37401 like this.
  20. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    There are also videos on YouTube with captions like ‘Britannia doing 100 Miles an hour’ You could argue that those posting videos like that are not being responsible too.