If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Halls - unloved, unsung?

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by John Petley, Dec 16, 2013.

1. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

Oh for two tanks.....

2. threelinkdave

threelinkdave Well-Known Member

Retired
    Stratford-upon-Avon or in a brake KD to BH
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I am leaving - I'll get my at and bara

dampflok likes this.
  3. dampflok

dampflok Member

Nurse,Qualified Ward Manager now retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Don't forget those home on the grange at Llangollen .

4. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

Apparently 7931 was to be Ibeatem Hall

5. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    7903 is very much 2807's "shedmate" and will be missed on the GWSR whilst its being overhauled (it already sports a new copper cap to its chimney) and, in my view, this class of locomotive (in both Collett and Hawksworth form) best represents the traditional type of motive power seen on the "Honeybourne Line", particularly during BR days. Halls were common on fast fitted freights, cross country trains and even deputised for "Castles" on the Cornishman at times. I personally find them to be well-proportioned locomotives (although the "Saint" 2999 will take some beating in the looks department) and I was disappointed when Owsden Hall left the GWSR for the Swindon & Cricklade Railway (however, there has been some progress in the loco's restoration since as noted by others on this forum). Owsden Hall at times could have been renamed "Millstone Hall" as its owner has had to face many trials and tribulations over the years if some of the stories (and they might be just that of course) are correct. Nevertheless, a Modified Hall like Owsden Hall will be an excellent loco to see running; whether the Swindon & Cricklade is the best line to run on for a loco of this size is another matter but it will be looked after.
    I remember seeing 6990 in BR lined black from the GCR on a visit to the GWSR and it looked, and sounded, great. I await its second return to service on the GCR again with anticipation.
    In summary, Manors are super for heritage lines and 7820 will be much in demand on the GWSR when it arrives soon I'm sure, but Halls, yes, lets have more than one at the GWSR!

flying scotsman123 likes this.
  6. threelinkdave

threelinkdave Well-Known Member

Retired
    Stratford-upon-Avon or in a brake KD to BH
    OK Flower I am off to Badminton to get Converted

7. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

completely agree, I always enjoyed watching 7903 chuffing past, the only thing to make it better would be in GWR livery. In fact, I like all the locos on the GWSR strangely, on other railways have have favourites, or at least locos I don't like as much, but whatever comes round chicken curve first thing in the morning, I'm always pleased to see it :D

Halls did brilliant work, and as has been mentioned, stepped in on the Cornishman a few times. In fact I think 7903 has done on a previous occasion, holding some sort of speed record for it post-war (not sure on the details) LONG LIVE THE HALLS!!!

8. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Keep it up with the puns, I aberdare you.

9. Skimpot Flyer

Skimpot Flyer New Member

Electronics Engineer
    I had a very good run behind 4930 Hagley Hall in 1985 hauling the GWR 150th Anniversary Specials between Gloucester and Swindon. The loco just seemed perfect for the 7 coach load it was hauling. Since then I have enjoyed haulage behind 6960 Ravingham Hall and more recently 7903 Foremark Hall at the GWSR also 4953 Pitchford Hall at the GCR somehow these locos seem just perfect for these 2 railways.

10. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

I would if only people didn't try and keep dragging this discussion back to the land of sensible posts. Its enough to give someone a pannier in the .....

11. Andy B

Andy B Member

From experience on the mainline and heritage railways (4936 and 7903) I'm slightly biased! The modified halls have a deserved reputation for fast free running and I know a few people that would like to see one out on the mainline. Ok they might not a ideally suited to today's mainline trips,but they did sterling work in the West Country with heavy trains where high speed isn't allowed. Indeed the trip with kinlet and Nunney in 2001 Taunton to Penzance (and return a week later) was superb. I'm looking forward to getting onto 7820 next season and seeing the difference.

12. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

? "Entrance Hall", "Bless'em Hall" or even, dare it be said, "B****r Hall". There comes a time when a tradition has to be laid gently to rest.

PH

13. 21B

21B Part of the furniture

What about "Deck the Hall" ? Well 'tis the season "After Hall"

14. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
    Some of the ones you may have missed
    Beanham Hall, Seenham Hall. Dunhem Hall
    (I also bought the T shirt)
    Then there was the one that was very rough riding over the joints, Feltham Hall
    The under powered version that couldn't pull, Fork Hall
    The thirsty version, Downham Hall
    The Corporal Jones version, Uppham Hall

I am still stuck in the days when Albert Hall was preserved at Tyseley, I even bought the Hornby version which had pride of place in my collection only to discover it was a fake.

15. mike1522

mike1522 Long Time Member Friend

I really like 6960 a lot. She really put on a Fantastic show with Vintage Train's rake when 5043 made a visit to West Somerset. Did anyone go on that one?

16. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    FS123: 7903 was one of a batch built between 1948 and 1950 so never carried GWR livery. Indeed, when the first "Modified" Halls were built in 1944, they were un-named and turned out in GWR wartime black. Some early survivors, such as 6990, just made the GWR ownership livery that we are used to seeing on the earlier pre-War Collett examples whilst others built around Nationalisation had the "British Railways" logo on the tender but in GWR serif. Anyway, when I remember them first time round on the Honeybourne Line they all appeared to be rusty and black to me!
    No 6989 Wightwick Hall at the Bucks Rly Centre is close to completion now and this has been a slow but steady restoration. Well done to the team working on it and let's hope it soon sees some action, hopefully in 2014.

17. Richard Roper

Richard Roper Well-Known Member

Librarian
    Absolutely. Fookham Hall!:)

Richard.

18. mrKnowwun

mrKnowwun Part of the furniture

Retired
    What you all moaning about, I can get out any day almost anywhere on the network and see a Heavy Hall.

19. La Duchesse

La Duchesse New Member

Signalling Client Logistics.
    I think that we are endowing the Great British Public with a knowledge of steam locos that they don't really have. The majority of visitors to Heritage Railways are not 'steam buffs' (there was a survey, don't ask me for details) so most people are happy to see anything steaming that isn't the kettle. Watching a Hall reach the heady speed of 25mph isn't much more impressive than watching a small industrial loco doing the same thing.

'That's Hall, Folks!"

20. Stu in Torbay

Stu in Torbay Part of the furniture

GPS Navigation Engineer
    Lord help us Hall!!