If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Handy Hints

Discussion in 'Model Railways' started by Martin Perry, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    image.jpeg Not sure if this is common knowledge.
    I recently bought some N Gauge Dapol Autotrailers (very cheap) that had been hand painted in Gloss Enamel, see the top two in the photo.
    I soaked one in Tesco's Lemon multi surface cleaner for about 24 hours and it brought just about all the enamel off while leaving the original livery more or less intact (some slight fading of the Crimson areas, nothing that a bit of weathering won't fix)
    Not saying that it will work for everything but it did for me.

Feel free to post any other handy hints :)

2. K14

K14 Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Many moons ago I stripped enamel paint from a Ratio kit using Flash Liquid. Think that might have been lemon flavoured, but the Tesco option sounds a lot cheaper. Antiseptic (e.g. Dettol) is often cited for similar purposes, although the Poundland 2 for £1 option is probably the best value there.

Odds are it'll work on 'crispy' paint brushes too, but I'd try it on an old one first. For synthetic-bristle brushes, caustic soda will definitely get all the yuck out of them.

Martin Perry likes this.
  3. class8mikado

class8mikado Part of the furniture

Print Estimator/ Repository of Useless Informatio.
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Pity it didn't Lighten up Dapols particularly Strong 'Custard 'colour. !

(some slight fading of the Crimson areas, nothing that a bit of weathering won't fix)

Speaking of which, any advice on subtle DIY weathering ?
    I have about 20 pristine coaches That could do with a v light weathering( touch of smutt on the roof and brown rather than gloss black on the underframes and bogies)
    Really cant afford / loath to pay hundreds to get this done 'professionally' but don't really know where to start...