If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Harz Narrow Gauge - HSB

Discussion in 'International Heritage Railways/Tramways' started by Fred Kerr, Feb 12, 2017.

1. worldsteam

worldsteam Member

From webcam, 99.222 has been the most likely loco recently on the Traditionszug, although if a very short train I dare say 99.5901 might be used. 99.5902 is in works. There's also 99.5906 that did a photo charter out of Gernrode a week or so ago, but is not doing much otherwise. Despite the snow on higher ground, Wernigerode has been surprisingly clear of snow until today and the webcam there shows a good sprinkling of snow arrived overnight. One weather tip re Brocken is to check the wind - it is freezing up there, but it is the wind that makes life miserable!

The webcams are useful but rather old technology, only grabbing a shot every 10 minutes, so can miss as much as they catch. The NYMR Grosmont webcam shows how it can be done!

Bean-counter likes this.
  2. NGChrisW

NGChrisW New Member

Well I will be there in 2 days time and there should be Tradionszug's running on the 7th and 10th so I will see what they produce. Currently in Dresden and travelled on the Weiberitztalbahn today and was suitability glad of the typically excellent steam heating found on German NG as it was snowy and freezing here too! Definitely mostly locals and families providing the quite reasonable levels of patronage for the two earlier trains of the day although on the last return trip from Kipsdorf I had a coach to myself for the whole journey and I'd guess that less than a dozen people got off when we got back to Freital at 18:47.
    A promise of sunshine may take me back there tomorrow, although with only 3 trains to play with, linesiding by train/on foot needs a lot of patience and doesn't' exactly give you a lot of opportunities!
    Chris

nanstallon and Bean-counter like this.
  3. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Been up the Brocken today - boy, was it cold! Absolutely clear when we left Wernigerode by coach for Nordhausen but inside a cloud by the time we got there. Sure that the timetable has been thinned out compared with a couple of years ago, but it is currently school holidays and locally and trains were packed.

Some pictures here: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005937948972&sk=photos&pnref=lhc

Can anyone tell me when the Friends photo charters are this year, and, if there are any in the next few days, approximate timings?

Many thanks

Steven

4. worldsteam

worldsteam Member

There is an impressive looking HSB phot w/e tomorrow and Sunday (10/11th) with a Mallet and 95.027 on Ruebelandbahn (although looks to be from Halberstadt). As it is for paying punters I see no precise data in the public domain. I would have assumed any organised group there at this time would be on board?

5. Bean-counter

Many thanks. We are travelling through Halberstadt en route by train to the Selketalbahn this morning - let's see what we may see!

Steven

6. worldsteam

worldsteam Member

The webcams are so difficult to see, but it looked like steam was in Wernigerode STANDARD gauge around 0845. I presume 95.027? There was a diesel in the consist though. Later, looking at the 'organised' photo line up, all photters were at Drei Annen photting 0855 regular train.

7. Bean-counter

Definitely at Wernigerode!

DSC_2079.JPG DSC_2068.JPG DSC_2059.JPG DSC_2079.JPG DSC_2068.JPG DSC_2059.JPG

Steven

8. Brockenman

Brockenman New Member

Nice photos thats a good start to the day, last time i saw and photographed a Ludmilla in Wernigerode was back in the 1990s on a freight to Ilsenburg.Havent thrashed the Brocken for about 5 years,its still one of the best steam thrashes in Europe.On one of the mornings it was -14 plus wind chill but totally clear for many kms.
    It was a bit misty for the guys on the summit earlier.

9. Monkey Magic

Monkey Magic Part of the furniture

Looks fun if cold. Enjoy the fasching donuts as well. Carnival is always fun.

10. NGChrisW

NGChrisW New Member

Our paths may have been very close this morning as I seem to have some very similar looking shots of 95-027!
    As I was travelling back to Dresden this afternoon I contented myself with a quick trip to DAH and back to get a few shots in that area. The Tradionszug was in the hands of one of the regular 2-10-2's today as 97-222 was passed yesterday at Sorge heading south on a short empty stock train presumably heading off to participate in the weekend events.
    I can echo the sentiment re temperatures at the top of the Brocken yesterday. Despite many layers of clothing, that wind went straight through pretty much all of them, and with the likelihood of any sunshine seeming non existent, I cut my losses and went down and off to Eisfelder for a bit of thrash there and back. Did manage a couple of decent shots at the top of the Brocken on Wednesday afternoon however when against the odds there was a brief window of sunshine for the last couple of trains of the day.
    Doing the historic train hopefully with a IVk on the Lobnitzgrundbahn tomorrow for the Radebeul carnival to finish off my trip.
    Chris

Bean-counter likes this.
  11. 7143

7143 New Member

Engineer
    I can vouch for the cold and mist as well. The summit at Brocken on 15th November 1994 and 99 7240-7 arriving with the 14.00 from Wernigerode.

94-11-15 Brocken Harzer Schmalspur Bahnen 99 7240-7 arrives with 14.00 from Wernigerode.jpg

Bean-counter and RLinkinS like this.
  12. worldsteam

worldsteam Member

It looks like the HarzTourCard survives! Fares went up slightly on 1st March and HTC is still valid on HSB. The German discussion group that first raised this has deleted its report on the threat. Note the new 'off-peak' fare to Brocken.

marshall5 likes this.
  13. marshall5

marshall5 Well-Known Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    That really is good news David and thanks for your help. I never did get a reply to my enquiry to Wernigerode tourist office. Looking forward to our 'escape the TT' trip to the Harz in June.
    Ray.

14. worldsteam

worldsteam Member

https://www.hsb-wr.de/news/news-details/artikel//aenderungen-bei-selkebahnticket-und-harztourcard/

There are some changes to HarzTourCard from May. Bit of a jump in price, but still good value. You need to read the small print re use on HSB, but in essence it looks to be no change for most of us. However, not on the HSB site but stated elsewhere is that the card ticket is NOT valid on HSB and you need to exchange at booking office for free HSB ticket for each journey. I can see that is a useful way HSB can identify the real use of the HTC, but I watch with interest as more information is published on this.

15. worldsteam

worldsteam Member

The HarzTourCard does look to be next to worthless. Wording of validity has been tweaked on websites and confirmation by e-mail indicates you can only use HSB to a TOTAL value of Euro 26 over three days. How this is controlled is unclear.

16. worldsteam

worldsteam Member

Now know how HTC is controlled. With the card you get a sheet of paper. The train gripper or booking office writes on the sheet your journey and fare. Once the total fare reaches Euro 26, you then pay the full normal fare. A return Wernigerode - Sorge = 26 Euro and that's your lot on a 3-day ticket.

17. acw71000

acw71000 Member Friend

Thank you for that information. Going over for a week, next Friday so will avoid the HTC this time. It was good while it lasted!

18. garth manor

garth manor Well-Known Member

The standard 3 and 5 day HSB full network cards still represent excellent value without restrictions, compare say WHR return fare.

19. marshall5

marshall5 Well-Known Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Thanks for the information David. I can't help feeling that the HSB are trying to 'kill off' the Tour Card and, as you say, is now next to useless. Whilst the HSB cards may be excellent value if one wants to spend all day, every day riding the trains but it is of limited use to those of us who liked to combine the HSB with the local HEX/DB and the buses out of the Hatix zone. I've already booked to go in 3 weeks but, with this and the loss of the 2nd steam turn on the Selketal, I'll probably give it a miss next year.
    Ray.

20. acw71000

acw71000 Member Friend

A fine display from 99 7239 leaving Eisfelder Talmuhle with the 14.08 to Drei Annen Hohne on 21st. May. (still frame from video) photo_1526920247092.jpg