If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

"Haynes Manual": Steam loco overhaul?

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by 46118, Feb 11, 2009.

1. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    That's what I thought - I always assumed that such books were essentially coffee table reading, i.e. this is how a Spitfire goes together, but would never be used for actually doing it - if nothing else I can't see the commercial sense of Haynes actually publishing such a book that would only have relevance for a handful of owners who actually own the thing if they weren't planning that 99% of buyers would be interested parties.

2. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

I agree, you are never going to overhaul a Lancaster bomber, or a steam loco from a "Haynes", but as others have suggested, as an interesting and fund raising item, then yes I think it has mileage. I would buy one.

On a more serious note, we still need to be aware of how we pass down the engineering skills inherent in overhauling and maintaining a steam locomotive. It is worrying when you see how many paid staff and volunteers in heritage railway workshops are chaps in their 60's and beyond.

Some locations no doubt are training younger people, but are we doing enough? Will we also get caught out by the contraction of our UK engineering capacity as well?

3. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    This whole issue of training is key and needs to be addressed sooner rather than later. On a national scale it could be a fantastic project perhaps overseen by the HRA or someone, lottery funding would be comparitively easy to obtain as well, as one area the HLF are trying to expand upon is heritage training skills.

I am presently involved in a couple of projects recording and expanding skills within the heritage construction sector promoted by English Heritage, I cannot see why this area of expertise should not be the same.

4. twr12

twr12 Well-Known Member

5. Muppet

Muppet Member

Sitting in Embsay's shed, alongside Beatrice, is John Beesley's version of the Haynes Manual for the Hunslet 16" locos... Whether it got to being more than a full colour cover is beyond me though. I'll have to have another look later!

Tim

6. 73096

73096 Member

I cant believe this I'm going to take it to the bulleid thread.

7. 34007

34007 Part of the furniture

So do you know differently?