If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Hindlow (not steam): 9/06/18

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by MellishR, Mar 11, 2018.

1. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Having cancelled my booking on RTC's High Peak Explorer because the revised route was no longer interesting enough (for me) to justify the two nights away that it would have needed, I have been considering Pathfinder's Peak District Explorer http://www.pathfindertours.co.uk/in...er/events/the-peak-district-explorer.520.html for a visit to Hindlow. The itinerary as advertised includes reaching Buxton via Dove Holes and returning via Peak Forest and Chesterfield. In between one option is to stay in Buxton and the other is to ride on a "single track freight only branch that serves a quarry located within the National Park" (which I take to be Hindlow) then back to Buxton for a while before departure for home. So the train will arrive at Buxton, depart for the quarry, return to Buxton and depart for Peak Forest. Given the layout at Buxton, by my reckoning this will involve six reversals, so I would expect top-and-tailed locos, but the description indicates "a Colas Class 56" for the northern parts of the trip, which implies a single locomotive.

Any thoughts about this?

BTW, for anyone wondering whether I've posted this in the right place, it was determined a while ago that What's Going on is not restricted to steam operations.