If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Hollycombe

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by City of truro fan, Apr 9, 2020.

1. City of truro fan

City of truro fan Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Hello I was wondering what is happening at the hollycombe museum with railways as it’s a long time since I been and there’s not much about it. Is the standard gage railway line ever being put back as this was a good bit but years ago when I went it wasn’t working and had bits missing

2. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Standard gauge is out of action, as is the only standard gauge loco that used to run it. Can't see it restarting. The narrow gauge circuit is alive and well as are most of the steam rides including, notably, the horse carousel. The miniature steam railway also runs when they are busy.

The main entrance and reception area (since 2005) still has a large image of a rather special Merchant Navy Pacific on the wall.

https://www.hollycombe.co.uk/

3. Alan Kebby

Alan Kebby Well-Known Member

I went there a couple of years ago for the first time in a long time.

Sadly it did seem a bit of a shadow of its former self. Rides out of action, three rides being operated by one operator on rotation, no fairground organs working no traction engine rides. I guess it suffers the same problems as heritage railways, lack of money and volunteers.

Having said that the new (ish) visitor centre is a vast improvement on the old shop, cafe, and toilet facilities.

Regarding the standard gauge line, it’s been out of action for years. Commander B needs major boiler work which they can’t afford. I believe Chatham Historic Dockyard made an approach to buy back Commander B (aka Newcastle) at one point, but it remains at Hollycombe.

The narrow gauge line is still going and well worth a ride. Jerry M seems to be the main loco. In my 10 or so visits over the years, I have never once seen Caledonia in use.

MuzTrem likes this.
  4. City of truro fan

City of truro fan Member

That’s good that the narrow gauge is doing well. Is not so good the standard gauge doesn’t work still that was the best part. Are parts of the track still missing as sometimes network rail would donate some old parts and it would be good if they could get enough to put it back down and there are lots of industrials that someone might want to run there if they had a line that worked. I hope it starts up again soon