If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Homes needed for 4cig and 4vop

Discussion in 'Diesel & Electric Traction' started by SR.Keoghoe, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    See here: http://www.semgonline.com/gallery/class423_01.html

Essentially it is an interior re-modelling of one carriage in the set. The fact that the difference is so slight is probably the evidence you need that, with a 4-VEP already in preservation, the historical significance of preserving a 4-VOP is pretty slight. Given limited resources, I'd suggest that there are more worthy vehicles (including EMUs) in need of support.

Tom

2. GWR Man.

GWR Man. Well-Known Member

A VOP is a VEP with the first class down graded to second class and the internal partitions removed with the O in the VOP meaning open. Also these sets have no toilets they will be of no use for longer railways, and the non driver coaches aren't able to be used as normal coaches as they are fixed coach formation.

3. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

No I do not currently volunteer
    Especially as the VOPs had a short life, there were few (19?) of them, and they were only used in a narrow area.

The challenge for EMU preservation, even more than sustaining what's there, will be ensuring that there is something representative of the PEP and Mk3 families of units. All of the drawbacks mentioned, without the couplings or the steam era looks.

4. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    My suggestion might be to add another two units to The Bluebells existing VEP and main line certify them. Then you might have a potential main line excursion set.

5. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

how on earth would you fill 12 cars? even once.....

michaelh likes this.
  6. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Just needs a railway with air braked locos to operate them. There are a few about, but its whether those who wish to preserve them are prepared to volunteer at said locations. Sadly not everything can be preserved on your doorstep.

7. richards

richards Part of the furniture

.. and whether that railways needs extra coaches, has the space to store them, wants emu's rather than loco-hauled stock, and wants to work with these external groups, etc etc. Having the right sort of locos to pull them is only part of the equation.

michaelh and Wenlock like this.
  8. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    The practical problems over preserving EMU's have been discussed on the EX 3 Cig thread

9. SR.Keoghoe

SR.Keoghoe New Member

10. Maximus

Maximus New Member

If EMU stock was presented nicely, and the Motor Vehicle wasn't in the rake they would be appealing to some heritage railways as decent coaching stock with a twist, the problem is the heat and light as other have mentioned, this could be easily rectified with modifications and silent running generators, not original I appreciate but makes the vehicles useable and haulable.

11. richards

"They would be appealing... "? Doesn't look like it so far.

michaelh likes this.
  12. Maximus

Maximus New Member

Possi
    Maybe because it's unrestored and I believe partly graffitied?

13. richards

Most railways have already got rows of unrestored vehicles to deal with. Having another set of four scruffy carriages which need to be kept together is a big ask.

Maybe a private site might be a more realistic (and safer) option until they are restored. Anyone got a few thousand square feet of warehouse space available for a few years?

Richard

Maximus likes this.
  14. pete2hogs

pete2hogs Member

I'm not sure I'm very happy with the sort of 'told you so' thing that goes on as yet more 40's/50's/60's EMU's are lost.

If we are supposed to be a heritage movement then we need to find some way of preserving what was for many people their daily (and only) experience of the railways for 40 years or more. The list of stuff that was preserved and has either been broken up or is steadily deteriorating to a beyond help condition is just plain embarrassing. I grew up in Essex and there is virtually nothing left of the hundreds of units that once plied out of Liverpool Street and Fenchurch Street on what were then still the most intensively used terminii in London. The situation for the SR is if anything even worse, as is the loss of most of the pre- BR units that at one time were saved.

This is a serious problem and some serious thinking about solutions is required. If we are only going to keep what is 'appealing' then we are not a heritage movement, we are in the theme park business.

15. The Green Howards

The Green Howards Nat Pres stalwart

Layabout
    I sympathise with the poster above; one thing has not been mentioned in connection with the above types of stock though and that's the A-word - asbestos.

Never mind the practicality of them ever running under their own power, unless they can be got to a main line and then you have all the fun of central locking, &c.

16. richards

I can't see any "told you so" going on - just reasons why it might be difficult to find a new home and some suggestions about alternatives.

"We need to find ways ..."
    "Just plain embarrassing ..."

Unless you set up your own heritage project (where you can choose what you preserve), you are tied to the host railway's objectives. Also, there simply isn't enough space (or volunteers) to preserve everything.

michaelh likes this.
  17. Reading General

to be blunt, almost no one cares about EMUs. They aren't particularly useful and are represented in most of their aspects by Mk1 coaches. DMUs are tolerated as useful (as are mk1s come to that) EMUs need only a couple of coaches preserved to tell their story, most of what there is currently existing has a bleak future. The problem really is where EMU groups try to piggy back on to Steam orientated lines, never going to work

michaelh likes this.
  18. flaman

flaman Well-Known Member

Semi-retired farmer, railway & museum owner
    The trouble with some of those who seem most insistent that EMUs "must" be preserved is that they appear to have little idea of just what does exist in preservation. For example, a complete set of LNER design 306 vehicles is preserved at the East Anglian Railway Museum and a pair if 302 driving trailers at Mangapps, the latter seeing fairly regular use. Not a lot I'll grant you, but rather more than "virtually nothing."

By the way, there's no need for any EMU enthusiast to be embarrassed about the alleged state of EMU preservation; if you're really keen to do something about preserving them, may I suggest that a good start would be to offer practical help to those organisations who are already committed to EMU preservation.

Forestpines, Maximus, RalphW and 4 others like this.
  19. mrKnowwun

mrKnowwun Part of the furniture

Retired
    I spent near on 30 years committing on the things, they were ruddy awful, ruddy awful journeys. Don't see any need to have them preserved.

20. Reading General

committing what? nuisance, armed robbery, suicide, bigamy ...we need to know(wun)

CH 19 and Wenlock like this.