If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Hornby 2013 - Duke Of Gloucester

Discussion in 'Model Railways' started by black5, Dec 17, 2012.

1. melp

melp New Member

Will it also be weak - climbing the banks - as the Staniers were ????:D

2. 84A

84A New Member

You must be the first person I have come across to hold such an opinion. The fixed truck is by far better in my opinion. Not only does it allow for a more detailed model, but the haulage of many models has increased no end. For instance, on a scale 1 in 40 incline, I could only get about 4 Bachmann Mk1's out of my City of Carlisle. I have since re-chassied it with one off a newer model, and it hauls 8 on the incline with ease! The main issue with the old chassis is that it is effecively 'sprung' in two places, and its a delicate balancing act to ensure all the drivers stay on the track. The newer chassis does away with this issue and behaves very much like a 4-6-0.

For a 'direct' comparison, try comparing the haulage capabilities of the Merchant Navy and the rebuilt BoB's - the latter, in my option, is probably perfection as Hornby models go, as it was one of the last to be built without the DCC incumberence.

Regarding the new 71000 and P2, I am looking forward to both. However, i'm not yet sold on the design clever concept, and if they are turned out like Tornado I think that will be disappointing. It will just leave the door open for Bachmann to do definitive versions at a later date, with free marketing figures obtained as a result of Hornby's experimental model. Given the choice, i'm definetly in the camp of 'i'd rather pay the extra for a Bachmann A1 over a Hornby A1'.

3. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    I'm a bit wary of the so-called 'design clever' concept, too. Hornby had taken the lead in terms of detailing, and now they risk regressing back to 'toy trains' in their main range. I'm afraid 71000 with moulded-on pipework is going to look a bit out of place next to the 'Clans', 'Britannias' and the Bachmann 9Fs with their separately-fitted pipe runs, so I may pass on this. I also think the Hornby rebuilt Bulleid 'Light Pacifics' are excellent haulers of carriages, and all four of my examples are the most consistent runners of my fleet of c.24 locomotives (I can't remember how many I have anymore!).

4. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

I wouldn't be too picky on what Hornby produces in regard to 71000, the model is a considerable production risk, even more so now the original is out of the public eye for a few years. I still wouldn't rule out this to be postponed or delayed. As for holding out for someone else to make a competing version... That could be a long lonely wait at that bus stop.

Despite Bachmanns UK credentials, Hornby is still the dominant force when it comes to both the high street reach, and international sales of UK models, so are best fit to make a model such as 71000 work. Indeed that is demonstrated by there confidence in replicating some of Bachmanns range, 60163 is a good example, had Hornby have made it first.. There wouldn't be a Bachmann variant.

I believe when it's made, it will be sufficient quality to stand the test of at least 20 years in their range.

5. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    Each to their own, but I stick to my statement.

6. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Just got a copy of Hornby Magazine (June issue). Reading the magazine 71000 Duke should be released in July with a retail price of £119.99 and the Railroad model selling for £82.99. The pre production model was received at Margate in April.