If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Hornby/Bachmann 2010. Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Model Railways' started by Bulleid Pacific, Oct 30, 2009.

1. David-Haggar

David-Haggar Member

Water Meter Reader
    Apparently in Bluebell News Russell Pearce writes in the Retail Report Shop section that Stepney set models have sold well in advance but so far are slightly under the break-even point. No figures are given but as I've said before there is no way I'm shelling out £150 for the set. Don't get me wrong, it was a brilliant idea to bring a Bluebell50 Ltd edition set out of Stepney in black with one Blue Maunsell Brake but the price tag is ridiculas. I think for about £20-30 more you can get a T9 pack with 3 Maunsells or a Schools pack with 3 carriages, so this demostrates just how over priced the Bluebell pack is. For me a price tag of about £75 is a fair price for the Stepney set.

2. Dan Hamblin

Dan Hamblin Part of the furniture

Rolling Stock Engineer
    A bit of an over reaction don't you think?

Regards,

Dan

3. David-Haggar

David-Haggar Member

Water Meter Reader
    Agreed a little OTT reaction, but understandable, the price tag is double what it really should be for the Stepney pack.

4. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I am afraid it is a fact of life that "Collector" targeted model railway products fetch prices beyond the general worth of the models concerned. Before the collapse of Lima, they issued many "Limited Editions" via UK retailers which charged a premium price over teh unlimited (yet still restricted) runs of the same basic model.

In more recent years, whatever the premium price for Limited Editions, as soin as they are sold out, they start changing hands on E-bay for considerably more than the original price!

There were some very pertinent comments from James May on one of the first programmes on toys/models about the "collecting" effect on the world and pricing of nodel railways! Sadly, many models are only for collecting not operation these days. The new model of City of Truro appears to be ibn this category.

Steven

5. LN850

LN850 Member

I hope u realise i was only joking about strangling people. I just find it hard to believe that there are idiots out there willing to pay £150 for a terrier and a maunsell coach.

I for one will certainly NOT buy one unless it is priced a lot lower.

6. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Yes I am an active volunteer
    But don't you see that the purpose isn't just to get a model of a terrier and carriage; it's to help fund various restoration aand development projects at the Bluebell! So would you feel better if you paid, say, £100 for the set and then donated £50 to the railway, which in effect is what you are doing?

Personally, I don't care what they cost; the only correct answer to "what is the right price?" is "whatever level maximises profits for the railway". Now in this case, if most people think £150 is a bit steep and some remain unsold, then they probably haven't achieved that end - but that's nothing to do with how much it might cost to produce, and everything to do with the collective perception of all the potential buyers of the item.

Tom

7. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

8. Dan Hamblin

Dan Hamblin Part of the furniture

Rolling Stock Engineer
    Hmm, I'm going down to the Bluebell again before the New Year to use up the last of my shareholder tickets, might make up for it by buying the pack to help boost the coffers.

Regards,

Dan

9. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    I'm going to own up and say I just about 20 minutes picked mine up. I've had a look inside the set and the models are detailed very well and love it though I do admit the £150 is steep but at least its going to a good local cause for me.

10. LN850

LN850 Member

Well, i know its to donate to the bluebell, but why dont they just knock some of the price off and ask for a donation? i know it sounds stupid, but i dont want to have to donate that much money at this stage in my life.

Maybe i would be happy to donate £500 later in my life, but not now.

11. Back on topic The L1 will be nice but other wise nothing really stupendously exiting theres no lner mougul!

12. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    The only three that are really going to threaten my wallet are 34107 'Blandford Forum' (I love the name!), 'Owen Glendower' (because I live in Wales) and 'Winchester'. Add to that one of the Clans (so that I right a historical wrong in putting one on a Southern-based layout), then I have a lot of purchasing to do this year. However, 34107 has kind of made the year for me, as I have been after a late-liveried unrebuilt West Country class complete with coat of arms since I couldn't get hold of 34092 'Weymouth' in 2003. Happy Christmas, anyway, and let's hope Bachmann will do something else for the Southern in terms of steam outline (like a U class) next year!

13. Pannier Man

Pannier Man Member

Network Rail - Retired
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    We've had some great dealings with Bachmann this year who produced 3650 in Stephenson Clarke Blue for the collectors club.
    If I could afford it and could chose the right model, I'd pay for a limited run (they do them as 250 or 500 runs). Several of the well known model shops have done it, as well as the NRM for the City.
    For me, I'd like to see an 8750 pannier with roundel, and maybe even a Kahki 53,... but there again, I am biased!

14. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    Just noticed that the GWR fraternity are quite lucky in that not only are they getting a re-tooled Churchward 28xx class, but are also being treated to the Collett 2884 class with cab side windows. In that respect, the GWR get two new locomotive classes, and the LNER get two.

15. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

Been online - probably good to see Hornby being maybe a bit cautious - practically all the established European manufacturers have gone bust in the past 5 years and I suspect the number of new models of often obscure prototypes (necessary to avoid duplication, of which there is also a lot!) may have been a factor.

That said, while it is difficult to tell from the online pictures the 28XX/2884 class is certainly a major retoling in quite possibly a completely new model, as may be the 61XX (although I am nore doubtful with that), so that is at least 3 all new or practically all new locos and a full range of new coaches, as well as a Southern EMU. Not bad for "cautious" - and the L1 has been one of my "wants" for a while!

Now, all I am waiting for is some differnt numbers on the 4MT, Schools and Castle!

Steven

16. 34014

34014 Member

Retired
    34107 the only thing that will be on my order list for 2010 until I see what Bachmann have to offer. I hope the rumours of an S&D 7f are correct.

17. David-Haggar

David-Haggar Member

Water Meter Reader
    Yes 34107 looks superb with the coat of arms, so will definately have to buy this. Bit of a pity though that there's no SECR H class or Adams Radial Tanks as I'm sure they would be hugely popular.

18. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    I think we'll have to look to a special commission from Dapol if we are to see an Adams Radial Tank at all. If there is enough interest, they seem amiable in undertaking niche, limited-run products. Take for example the Beattie Well Tank for Kernow Model Centre. Its a bit steep at £89.99 for what is 'just' a 2-4-0 locomotive, but there will be enough people who want an rtr version for their Southern/LSWR layout. I'm seriously tempted to get 30585 in late livery. However, there are so many locomotive that I'd like for my layout, it would cost at least £600 to get the lot! Add to that a few railtours, galas and the upkeep for my car and you reach madness levels of expenditure. I think I'll have to be a bit more selective about what I purchase over the next year, although I really do want a 'Clan' for my otherwise Southern layout, and I have my eye on 72008 'Clan Macleod'. I've also been meaning to get 76069 with the BR1B tender for the last two years...

19. tobes3803

tobes3803 Member

Il be purchasing a Br black 2884 for sure probably renumbering it too 3803

20. LN850

LN850 Member

intrigued by the LBSC 0-4-0 shunter. Just a normal train painted other colours. rest of range is of no interest to me. Hopefully bachmann come up with something good.