If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

How bad is the volunteer crisis?

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Tim Light, Nov 22, 2016.

1. threelinkdave

threelinkdave Well-Known Member

Retired
    Stratford-upon-Avon or in a brake KD to BH
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    You are correct that the guard coupling up is not a regular ocurence but happens from time to time. Adding or cutting off an obo saloon is the most common. Guards are however expected to retain competence in all aspects of coach shunting . Freight shunting and working is a separate discipline which established passenger guards can aquire

Wenlock and paulhitch like this.
  2. threelinkdave

Retired
    What I should have added is that whilst coupling/uncoupling may not be needed shunting a rake between the engine lines and a platform or vice versa is quite common. For these shunts radio is used so radio protocols have to be learnt as well as judging shunting speeds and stopping distances

3. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Not a rule but the convention is that the fireman couples the loco to the train, the guard couples everything else. If it is a single manned diesel, the guard couples that, too.

The subject of guards duties can provide an interesting discussion. On one of the railways I work on, we had a new volunteer who wanted to be a guard. He had just retired from being a guard on the big railway. It soon became obvious that his guarding duties on the big railway did not qualify him in any way to undertake guards duties on the heritage railway. He knew how to give the R.A; he knew how to check tickets and interact with passengers; he knew how to carry out emergency protection but had never, ever coupled stock, operated a point lever, shunted, done a brake test or any of the many other tasks we usually require of guards. However, this does beg the question, do guards actually have to do all this or could the shunting tasks be adequately done by a fireman on most heritage railways? This would reduce the training necessary and, perhaps importantly, allow people who are not as physically fit to undertake guards duties. Many railways struggle to fill the guards roster and it may be a way to overcome the shortage.

Wenlock and michaelh like this.
  4. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

On the Bluebell at least, coupling between a loco and a carriage, or between two locos, is the responsibility of the loco crew; but coupling between carriages within the train is the responsibility of the guard or shunter. I suspect that is because coupling between carriages may involve Buckeye couplings; may involve correct fastening / unfastening of corridor connections; and certainly involves making / breaking electrical connections for the carriage lighting, so there is additional competence required that isn't part of the loco crew requirement. In addition, when making / breaking Buckeyes, you may need the fireman on the footplate to relay the shunter's hand signals to the driver if the shunter happens to be on the other side of the train, so it would be impractical for the fireman to do the job: his place is on the footplate - since, unlike with screw couplings, coupling to Buckeyes requires movement of the engine and part of the train.

Similarly when we run freight trains, all coupling is the responsibility of the guard / shunter, I assume because coupling is generally done with a shunters' pole, so again requires a competence that is not a requirement for loco crew.

I believe that division of responsibility mirrors the original division that would have been practised on the mainline railway in the steam era.

Tom

Wenlock likes this.
  5. threelinkdave

Retired
    Simple answer to your question re physical ability. It is a wild wet windy night and the unthinkable happens. The guard needs to be physically competent to deal with the incident Splitting a set may be necessary, especially if on fire. Getting up and down into a train from ground level is an absolute physical competence. You need the fireman on the loco to relay hand signals.

As to your example of a big railway guard
    Tthe big railway have AWS TPWS - heritage lones have a guard
    Multiple units have different brake test requirements - heritage lines have hauled stock and brake tests are similar on big railway.

I am 66 and would feel I was not doing the job properly if I didnt undertake the guards traditional role

Jamessquared likes this.
  6. richards

richards Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer
    Can't see the benefit in this at all. Unfortunately few volunteers have experience in recruitment (especially of volunteers) and the wide range of reasons which people offer their time. As a result, potential and new volunteers may not get the best or most relevant reception.

7. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

Hmm. I thought life with automatic couplings was supposed to be easier! This division of responsibilities does not sit all that well with the battle against dirt that is (should be) fought on all steam powered tourist lines.

PH

8. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Who told you Buckeye's were an automatic coupler? They provide a near-rigid coupling between carriages, which gives a smoother ride; helps prevent over-riding of vehicles in a crash etc. But they aren't automatic, not least because brake and other connections still have to be made manually.

If you want automatic coupling, look at the joining / splitting of sets between class 159s and other such units. But I don't think we want them!

Tom

9. threelinkdave

Retired
    Paul - Buckeyes are easier just heavy to lift/drop - I use a gadget.

Procedure when prepping a train. Sign on in best uniform. Go to brake, check handbrake. Get into dirty slop -orange- ish. Climb down on non platform side and do a visual exam of whole train pulling strings as I go and checking couplings - usually an 8 car rake. When loco arrives do a application / release brake test etc etc

10. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

11. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

What else are they then? They just don't do everything but are an integral part of the Pullman (H.H. Sessions) vestibule system.

PH

12. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

When I first passed out as a guard (OK, over 25 years ago!), the railway I used to be involved with barely had a single location where a full train set (as required certainly by peak traffic) could be stabled, so it was a case of 'first find your train!' - shunt two bits together before the first departure, add more coaches at the other terminus, split the set again at the end of the day (that didn't end well on my first turn thanks to some 'assistance' from others that I didn't know they were going to give!)

Later, coaches would be taken off and horded at one end to strengthen an afternoon departure to the required (up to 10) length.

We loved it - it was all properly worked out and planned, and being busy, and having a full shift, made the job. Every weekend and a week holiday during the peak season was a highlight of the year.

As the years past, developments meant that 'full' sets could be stabled (I always preferred adding and taking coaches to shuting full sets into dead-end sidings!), shunting became less and grumbles started when it was necessary. Tragedy made shunting become a 'no-no' unless avoidable, but in theory, the need remains and guards must be capable of doing it.

A key to having sufficient people at any operational grade is a well organised and quality training system - I have seen the effect this can have on the number of signalmen - always a shortage transformed into almost a surplus thanks to the work of one or two people with a passion for both signalling and teaching (one was their hobby and the other their vocation).

When there was a problem with firemen, who have passed on rules and regs and could guard ECS and goods movements, being unable to get sufficient turns due to the sheer number of them, I suggested they be offered conversion training to be able to guard as well. This prompted a long list of why not, the 'excess' firemen drifted away and the relative shortage of guards continued.

Sadly, family circumstances mean my guard's ticket lapsed and subseuqent events mean I don't see myself renewing it any time soon, certainly where I did hold it, but it would be fair to say I miss it and, whilst there is a level of fitness needed, I don't see why the role is not more attractive. Yes, it is responsible - but surely part of the pleasure of volunteering is doing a job worth doing well as part of a good team. You get to ride the trains (a lot of peoples' aim), you meet the public and are the face of your railway. It is a good way to keep fit and is very fulfilling, or at least I found it so! I had some great experiences as a guard, memories that no one can take away no matter how hard they try - meeting Royalty and celebrities but above all lots of great people, seeing lots of people enjoying their day, being involved with the making of TV programmes (how film and TV are made are other interests of mine) and being part of something I was proud of.

Steven

13. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    Its worth making the point of course that a number of lines have gone on to greater things from very modest beginnings - often not entirely smoothly, others have not got very far or stagnated.

Management and the ability to attract & retain volunteers must have a lot to do with a lines success or failure

Shrink Proof likes this.
  14. Forestpines

Forestpines Well-Known Member

Oh indeed Paul - in my case the chap in question clearly thought I was a random member of the public when he first confronted me. For all he knew I could have been the editor of the local paper; and of course any TripAdvisor user can be influential in their own way. It's almost like something out of a folk tale!

Wenlock and paulhitch like this.
  15. paullad1984

paullad1984 Member

The attitude seemed to be you had to prove yourself first!

Bean-counter likes this.
  16. Bean-counter

@threelinkdave's signature perhaps - buckeyes are very advanced for the GWR! :);):Nailbiting::Muted: (Sorry Dave - you can ask Malcolm to beat me up for you next time he sees me!)

Seriously, the coupling is automatic - once you have lifted the coupling head into place! :Inpain: Like Dave, I tended to use a 'device' to gain leverage in my latter years of guarding (although such 'devices' are the 'deeds of the Devil' to many older railwaymen!), although the Chief Guard who was one of those who instructed did tell me when I was training that 'you'll be all right with buckeyes - you can get it part way and then rest it on your belly like I do!' But is doesn't mean all the other 'bits' are automatic. The advantage of buckeyes is the rigidity and resultant safety they offer rather than particualrly greater ease of coupling - trying to get them to take on a curve can be a total b*gg*r! (Not that screw coupling are imune but you can usually extend them enough to couple, drag the vehicle out and then tighten the coupling.

Steven

Wenlock likes this.
  17. Bean-counter

Or even sometimes when you have been there for years but someone else hasn't!

Steven

18. threelinkdave

Retired
    Lets look at what you need to do to couple std gangway stock then compare to buckeye

1. shunt stock together and confirm with driver going between
    2. Drop vac bags off both dummys - If the brake is accidently created the brakes will not release
    3. Drop the most convinient coupling over the opposite hook and tighten
    4. Climb up on to buffer housing as best you can - GWR stock often has no convinient step and unhook gangways from stowed position
    5. Climb back down duck under coupling and climb up other side and unhook gangways from stowed position
    6. Pull gangways together balancing on buffer housings and fit clip.
    7. Drop back down to ground level connect lighting jumper then duck under coupling and climb up on to buffer housing again
    8. pull that side of gangways toigether and fit clip
    9. Drop back to ground level and couple lighting jumpers
    10. connect steam heat open non loco side valve then couple vacuum
    11. On way out from between open loco side steam heat cock - if there is a big leak you are well away from it by the time pressure builds
    1. On the coaches to which the attachment is to be made at a convinient time raise buckeye and shorten buffers - if no loco to warn going between get bobby to block the line you are on
    2. Fetch the coach/s to be added and stop a safe distance short of stationery stock and confirm with driver going between
    3. Remove vac bag from dummy. Lift buckeye and shorten buffers
    4. Replace vac bag and get driver to create. Pull most convinient release chain - readily achievable from outside the stock
    5. Signal to driver to set back slowly and gently but firmly press the two coaches together and watch for the release pin to drop
    6. Signal to driver to move away slowly - pull off test to confirm coupling has lockrd
    7. Loco to destroy vac and confirm with driver Going between - remove vac bag from dummy
    8. Couple steam heat together - open non loco side valve and couple lighting jumpers
    9. Couple vac bags and open loco side steam cock as you come out and all done from ground level

Wenlock likes this.
  19. michaelh

michaelh Part of the furniture

Very comfortably early retired
    I was taught (in 1966) to lift the buckeye with flat of a brake stick between the jaws and then rest the stick on my shoulder whilst I inserted the pin.

20. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    Some Teeth!!