If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

how much is an out of ticket engine worth

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by martin butler, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Lewisb06

Lewisb06 Member

Work for Big railway
    Me thinks from my humble knowledge is that Swanage cant have made that many queer decisions over the years. They started from nowt and are now one of the top 5 railways in the country

How can they give away 35022 when they didnt even own it!

OK.....back of a fag packet calculation.....to buy a loco with a 10 year boiler ticket.....say £500,000?
    And lets say the loco requirements for Swanage are for 5 steam locos....?

So Swanage will need to find £2,500,000.........

Simples.....squeak....

2. Fireline

Fireline Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I thought it was our friend Mr Waterman, talking about Scots Guardsman. I believe the gentlemen that own the BB in question are rather more acutely aware of the restoration cost of an ex-Barry BB, and pitched their price accordingly.

3. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

I guess for 34073 using this formula idea:

It's value is probably based on Scrap + Parts alone, the boiler, engineering work etc all remains to be done.

ie.
    £ 20,000 Scrap value
    £200,000 parts

Thats assuming it has a nice set of ferrous parts plus rods etc to go with it, then the price may be good..
    but it's soley a box and boiler all with a layer of rust and nothing but a good story to jack the price... then maybe not so.
    Dont forget someone has the nice job of building a tender which will certainly add to the overhaul cost.

4. twr12

twr12 Well-Known Member

And I am personally not surprised to be reading such inflamatory statements on this forum.

Please explain where the sale offer from SLL exists.

5. Ann Clark

Ann Clark Member

I have to say I agree with twr12. Where is your evidence that SLL have offered a standard tank for sale?

I would also like to know why Swanage should follow in the steps of MHR. We have a different set up and work in a different way. I know that the loco agreements are very different to the ones that were the norm at MHR. I do not know what the current loco agreements are there. There is an old saying if it aint broke don't fix it. So why should Swanage fix it?

Ann

6. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Why would any organization want to sell an 80xxx tank for? This must be one of the most sort after class of locos in preservation. It must be one of the most economical locos to have on a preserved railway in running costs and overhaul costs. There must also be a big demand from other railways to hire 80xxx in. So for those reasons alone why sell a 80xxx for?

7. Lewisb06

Lewisb06 Member

Work for Big railway
    Gee Wizz.....

This goes on and on and on.

Pure speculation. Thats all it is.

Usual railway rumours.....

And unfortunatly from the usual culprits...

8. Jimc

Jimc Part of the furniture

Once computers, now part time writer I suppose.
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Please attempt to avoid the flamings, as I'll freely admit I know nothing about Heritage railway finance, but it seems to me that about the only thing that the places I've been to have an ample supply of is unrestored or out of ticket locomotives. Therefore the logic of supply and demand suggests to me that they aren't the most valuable or desirable of commodities.

9. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

I do have to agree here, there are dozens of engines out there unrestored, however the cost of restoring them keeps them in the sidings.
    As a result those that have made it to running status at some point command a higher value as their cheaper than the alternative.

However as Tornado shows' were approaching the point where new ones are cheaper than older ones... with Tank engines I think we will pass this gap sooner than later, and it'll be a bit of a landslide when it does...

I'd put a guess when we reach the £1mn each mark for a batch of class 2 / 3 / 4P tanks, and the preserved lines that dont have debts, good business management / profitable books and can secure loans / mortgages on their assets then the older tanks in Barry condition may not be so attractive any more, neither will hiring them in.

Lets say £1mn to buy, £1.8mn with interest repayments over 25 years.
    Then add £750k for maintenace takes us to around £2.5mn for 30 years.
    Run it 100 days a year works out £800 a steaming or thereabouts.

For lines like NYMR thats not too fare from attractive, especially allowing for future inflation and assuming they pay all that debt interest, without this.. it's only £580 a day.

10. Forevagrey

Forevagrey New Member

Rumour Mill.

If there is no evidence to show us then why should we discuss how the diffrent railways manage things as it obviously isnt true

11. cct man

cct man Part of the furniture

CONSTRUCTION
    Define "obviously" please as it would appear that you know something we don,t.

Regards
    Chris

12. Maunsell man

Maunsell man Well-Known Member

Senior Finance Auditor
    Err - this is an internet forum for discussion. Surely much of the discussion is based on rumour. Therefore the reason behind visiting this site is to discuss rumour? How can you bring evidence to a discussion forum - scan invoices, record conversations between Owners and Directors? Another post that rattles on about 'do not discuss because I like to know and don't want to share it'. Too many times people post you musn't discuss this as negotiations are delicate / could upset things blah blah blah. Truth is nobody with any power to do anything is really bothered what a load of arm chair warriors and spotty teenagers rattle on about in an internet forum (unless you count lazy journos' from the railway gutter press who can't be bothered to carry out their own investigations).

If you don't want rumour don't come in!

13. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Often the people "in the vortex" do sometimes like to come in here and share their news or read peoples opinions, then share information at the appropriate time, whilst others also ask the mod's to stop discussions where it could cause undue concern should someone take that news and act on it outside the forum.

Others who want to "do something" might often test the water with a post in here for the reaction before decieding if to proceed.

Rumour Mill.. absolutely .. often there is no smoke without a fire, wet matches dont light and dont forget the fire extinguishers... it's all in here.

14. Forevagrey

Forevagrey New Member

this is the thing i dont know anything about this but there isnt any evidence yet ](*,)

15. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Are your trying to tease out discussion about the "other" engine that is "rumoured" to be for sale recently.

Based upon rumour I asked someone I know, who then popped the question last week.. and the response was it has been discussed but it's not really decieded, especially as the price was very high considering it's in the middle of it's ticket, and maybe not quite what they need, plus they will have something similar soon anyway.. therefore a deal on it isnt certain, it will probably be a few months before a decision is reached.

As far as I know it's owner has not said anything publically yet therefore...therefore it's all rumour until someone posts facts and I guess it's owner isnt going to do that until he's sold it or decieded to keep it.

16. Forevagrey

Forevagrey New Member

im not trying to tease out disscusion ](*,)

17. 5967

5967 New Member

[quote="Fireline]
    The reality is that an engine is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. You only have to look at the price Scotsman commanded to realise that. Does anyone know how much the Pontypool and Blaenavon engines sold for?[/quote]

This is very true it is exactly what someone is willing to pay and the owner(s) willing to accept - as is true of most things in life. Prices of engines are not generally bandied around precisely because it is between those involved and only those involved. I am quite happy and it was an amicable deal - all there is to know really.

18. Fireline

Fireline Well-Known Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Well said 5967. And while you're here, congratulations on having the desire to take on Bickmarsh!

19. Pmorgan_cym

Pmorgan_cym Member

Granted but I assume both sides must have something to base their expectations on.