If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

In Days Of Old

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by KentYeti, Jul 6, 2010.

1. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Looking at my notes at what I did 46 years ago today!

I was on the third day of a 7 day SR Rover. The 20th July was the Monday.

Standard 5 down to Basing on the 07.20 to pick up Salisbury's Fred Hoare and Pete Allen on the 07.49 ex Salisbury with 34036. Light load but under 47 mins net to Waterloo, 80 max.

Then 35019 on the down ACE with Fred and Pete. 12 cars and just over 81 mins to Salisbury, (83.7 miles), with a signal check to circa 30 mph at Worting and a long slow tsr past Allington Box. Max around 88 mph though Andover. Net circa 76 mins, schedule 80 mins. Slowest net time of the week to come!

Back on the up ACE with Hill/Bacon and a badly steaming 35013. 81 mins unchecked with an 80 max.

Then 35001 plus 12 on the down Wessex with driver Rowe of Nine Elms. Very slow start then some very fast running, (over 80 at Byfleet), saw us stopped outside Woking in just over 26 mins! Another check at Winchy Junction but we still kept time to the Winchester stop. 62 mins net from Waterloo for the 66.6 miles.

Finally a very mediocre run, (but I'd settle for it today!), with 35026, ("Nut and Bolt Line" as we used to call that loco!), on the up Club Train, 19.15 Southampton- Waterloo. Net time of 85 mins was the schedule, but we lost almost three mins due to a sig check at Eastleigh. Looked like another loco short of steam as well fell to 48 over Roundwood and never really got going after Worting.

Those were the days!