If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Industrial Loco Updates

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by AlistairS, Apr 17, 2008.

1. PVRC&WSUPT

PVRC&WSUPT New Member

Not mentioned on here before, but on the Plym Valley Railway today, Andrew Barclay 0-4-0ST ALBERT works no 2248 of 1948 was having its boiler filled today ready for its next test. She/he ? passed its dry inspection a couple of weeks ago. If all goes well, will be back in steam for Easter 2009. Still has 8 and a bit years left on its ticket. Meanwhile Bagnall 0-6-0ST Byfield No 2, works no WB2655 of 1942 was being prepared for its boiler lift. Tank and cab etc removed earlier in February. This loco was formerly on the Battlefield Line and after that the Glos Warks from where we purchased her.

2. bhallett

bhallett Well-Known Member

I always remember 2248 when she was at the NVR and numbered 90432, as a young lad I spent many a day on her footplate.

3. PVRC&WSUPT

PVRC&WSUPT New Member

Yes ALBERT is a good strong engine, and well liked by our crews. Has a lovely bark when a load is on and she is opened up, will try and get some photos attached for you of our two industrials =P~

4. Stewie Griffin

Stewie Griffin Member

Good to hear that work has started on Byfield, that's a useful looking beast. I guess the plan would be for that to be the mainstay loco when the time comes to open all the way to Plym Bridge?

5. PVRC&WSUPT

PVRC&WSUPT New Member

Should be at Plym Bridge by end of 2010, currently busy at the old Lee Moor Tramway crossing site where 4'6" went across 4'8& a half" diagonally. The Lee Moor tramway line is now a popular cycle path and is often busy. We have just constructed a proper gated crossing, level crossing style and are currently finishing off the two access ramps, then its onwards to Plym Bridge. Back to Byfield and she isn't really needed for another 3 to 4 years at least. Restoration is being done mostly in house apart from the boiler, and the wheelsets. She will be more than capable of what we need, eventually running three coach train sets. Albert, the Andrew Barclay, can also handle that with ease being the biggest tractive effort 0-4-0ST that the company built. Steam on our line is always likely to be industrials apart from maybe the odd appropriate guest engine in the future.

6. Stewie Griffin

Stewie Griffin Member

Are you likely to construct a replica of the old crossing box that used to exist there (obviously allowing for the cycle path being on its original site) to go with the gates? I guess if the cyclepath is that busy then you're probably looking at a stop, close the gates for road/cycle traffic and then proceed type of operation? If so it should be a bit raucous pulling away from there!

Returning to Byfield, you say the wheelsets will be one of the bits not being done in-house; are they being re-tyred? I've got a faint memory that they tyres were a bit thin on that one.

7. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Good to see Plym Valley having the prospect of two working engines in the not too distant future. Meanwhile, I'm always glad to see a Barclay - nice chunky look and happy memories of no.10 at Waterside which looked very similar if my memory serves me well. Good luck with the new acquisition.

John

8. PVRC&WSUPT

PVRC&WSUPT New Member

Thanks for your supportive comments guys. Re the Lee Moor Crossing, as Stewie says we will probably have to stop shut the gates to pedestrians/cyclists etc then proceed. All depends on what the ORR say we can or cannot do. Probably have a crossing keeper/lookout here during running days. As for the orginal hut or a replica, sadly it would likely to get vandalised. The crossing area is flat so pulling away will not be as dramatic as from Marsh Mills or the climb up into the cutting which is the steepest part of the line.
    Re Byfields tyres, they are thin and we are having profiles checked and thickness to see if we would get a couple of seasons out of them or whether we have to raid the piggy bank for a new set, bearing in mind we are looking at a two year turn around from ordering to fitting!

9. Avonside1563

Avonside1563 Well-Known Member

Bolton's Sidings, just behind the running shed!
    Byfield should be a very capable engine for you guys, having experienced it's sister engine Cranford at Foxfield for a visit I am sure it will be more than capable of 3 coaches, particularly as Florence No.2 has taken 2 coaches at 68 tons up our 1 in 19 in the rain without getting out of first valve.

On a slight aside a funny tale was related to me at the weekend: Firefly776 and A.E1764 were visiting Cheddleton on the occasion of their recent winter gala and, whilst watching Ring Haw being prepared in the yard, were discussing the relative merits of industrial over mainline with a photographer who said he had never been to Foxfield and why should he as we only have silly little industrials which are no interest and would be no good on a line like Churnet. Well our two intrepid adventurers came back with the comment that actually Ring Haw was a lovely machine and more than capable and it was the funny mainline thing next to it that was a waste of time. Whilst this banter was going back and forth the loco supt from Foxfield, who happened to be driving Ring Haw that weekend, appeared on his way to prepare the loco and made the comment to our two hero's that all these big black things in the yard were pointless and the day before he had taken a 6 coach set with Ring Haw for a full round trip, kept time and never got out of first valve. Exit photographer stage left looking deflated!

10. hunslet24

hunslet24 New Member

Propulsion/Airframe tech in the RAF
    Good work boys, that will teach em! =D> \:D/ =D>

11. PVRC&WSUPT

PVRC&WSUPT New Member

Re Byfields sister engine Cranfield, where is she normally based and is she in ticket? =P~

12. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Why two years? Six months should be easily achievable. I've just had a set done in about that; ordered July 2008, fitted and returned Feb 2009.

13. Avonside1563

Cranford is now at Rutland and out of ticket. One of the Rutland lads can give more info I'm sure

14. PVRC&WSUPT

PVRC&WSUPT New Member

Hmmm thats interesting news, who supplied and where were they fitted? Will let the Byfield crew know :-k

15. hunslet24

hunslet24 New Member

Propulsion/Airframe tech in the RAF
    Cranfield? We have Cranford No2 at our place, she is due a boiler inspection when the owners have their Barclay in traffic. Will give more info when thats done.

16. Avonside1563

Quite right, it's Cranford No.2 that I was referring to (post altered accordingly) and presumably PVRC&WSUPT also. Really shouldn't try posting at 6.30am when I'm not really awake! #-o

17. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    The contract to supply was with Railway Wheelset & Brake Ltd. Baguley Engineering did the actual re-tyring/machining. They can only handle up to 3'-6", which is usually OK for industrials. Baguley's had four sets of wheels being retyred when I visited, two for steam locos and two for diesels. They can also press wheels off axles, if required. I've no connection with either firm but was entirely satisfied with what I got and a good bit cheaper than the last set I had done through another well known organisation! If you're wanting larger wheels there are several other organisations who can do the job.

18. Hunslets Finest

Hunslets Finest Well-Known Member

19. PVRC&WSUPT

PVRC&WSUPT New Member

Yes, agree with Hunslets finest. Colin Girle restores his locos to a very high standard. The Cattewater Esso liveried sentinel used to work on the Cattewater branch, which is probably no more than 3 - 4 miles away from the Plym Valley at Marsh Mills. They also had another loco which they were using up until the Esso facility closed Early in 2008. This was black? and possibly it was a sentinel too? Can anybody shed any more light on it and where it went? The only industrial locos still being used in the Plymouth area now apart from our Thomas Hill Vanguard 0-4-0DH No 125V ex Blue Circle cement at Plymstock, are the trio? of Planets in Devonport Dockyard, kept for moving the nuclear flask train in the dockyard. Need to be 0-4-0s due to the tight radius trackwork. Sole steam survivor from the dockyard is the Bagnall 0-4-0ST no 19, normally at Bodmin, but currently at The Pontypool & Blanaervon railway. The Plym Valley has a fully operational ex devonport dockyard Smith Rodney diesel rail crane which is unsprung and weighs in at 50 tons (outside this thread so I won't say anymore about it!), except its a beast! 8-[

20. Stewie Griffin

Stewie Griffin Member

I thought there was another survivor up at the Dean Forest, possibly a Barclay? Unfortunately I'm quite a few miles away from my copy of Paul Burkhalter's excellent book on the Devonport Dockyard system but I'm sure there is a photo of it in there in a dismantled state.