If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Industrial Loco Updates

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by AlistairS, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Tonyboy

Tonyboy New Member

Engineer
    Well we done A/B '2157 a few years back which tends to help you when you strip and repair a loco of the same type. However 'Victory' is a lot better condition thankfully! Yes '2199' is a 12" version for the other fella who asked the question after you.
    We hope to add a few new extras on her during the restoration which should improve her appearance and useability once conplete. I'll keep you posted as an when.
    Cheers chaps Tonyboy.

2. cavickboy

cavickboy New Member

Dear All

The constituent parts of Hunslet Austerity 3193 have started to arrive at its new Norfolk base. Purchased from the Lavender Line and previously numbered 68012 the loco will be restored and hopefully put to work on the Mid Norfolk Railway.

For more comprehensive details goto :-

http://www.norfolksteamloco.co.uk/index.asp

=D>

Andrew M

3. Avonside1563

Avonside1563 Well-Known Member

Bolton's Sidings, just behind the running shed!
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Good to hear, but please tell us you'll be putting it back into a more suitable livery than sudo BR black? [-o< The Public don't care what colour engines are as long as they look nice and make the right noises!

4. THE MELTER

THE MELTER Member

ENGINEER
    Hi Guys
    Does anyone know where i can get a vacuum ejector,non return and drip valve from and what should i expect to pay?

The melter

5. 32110

32110 Member

Retired from full time paid work
  6. 3155

3155 New Member

loco owner
    Hi,

There are basically two types of vacuum ejector, the ex BR type & the Industrial use type, contact me for details.

Dave W
    GH4 & Others

7. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    South Coast Steam can supply you with a very good ejector that will pull sufficient vacuum for 7-8 coaches and not use too much steam in the process. Expect the price to have several noughts on the end. Alternatively, you can fit a Penberthy ejector which, depending on size, will produce sufficient vacuum for 2-8 coaches but use a bit more steam. Expect the price to have less noughts on the end. These are available from Green & Boulding, amongst other suppliers. We use these exclusively at Middleton, the size varying with the size of loco. They work best at lower steam pressures and we generally fit a pressure reducing valve but you can simply throttle the steam on the shut off valve. Non-return valves can be had from the likes of BSS or any reputable supplier. We never bother with a drip valve. Just get your pipework design right and they aren't necessary but you can soon make something up if you want.
    Can't help with prices as we have a stock of them and haven't bought any for a long time.

8. 3155

3155 New Member

loco owner
    Hi Melter,

The largest Pemberty from Green & Boulding is the No 6, the Jan 2009 price was £315 inclusive of vat & delivery.

Tel No 02083 122600

dave W

GH4 & others

9. hunslet24

hunslet24 New Member

Propulsion/Airframe tech in the RAF
    WoW this has slipped well down the pecking order!! Sorry Foxfield for missing your gala I must beat myself with big sticks!! Antway we have been busy at our little railway on Tommy Royden, 1931 and the steam sentinal. All receiving TLC recently, below is 1931 and will post some more pics when I get some good ones!! Tommy has had the boiler jacked to get at the inside motion and the rest of the parts gathered together. When we have a chance the outside motion is to go on. The steam sentinal is getting a new coat of paint at the same time so should get that finished and back in service soon! Happy Industrial Steaming!!

10. daz47

daz47 New Member

Spa Valley Railway "Fonmon"

Another special event has been added to this year's calendar.

The railway's much loved 0-6-0ST Peckett "Fonmon" is due to be withdrawn from service for a ten year major overhaul at the end of September. Fonmon has been in service for around 12 years now, having received extensive repairs in the early years, and has been a regular performer on the railway ever since. In the early years, she was the only steam engine available to haul passenger trains and on more than one occasion was the difference between trains running and not running. In the last 18 months, with the arrival of bigger engines, Fonmon has taken a back seat in proceedings, appearing only for special events.

The railway is committed to overhauling this gallant old engine but this will have to wait some time whilst over projects are completed. The overhaul will require the engine being stripped down and a number of repairs carried out to its motion and boiler. This is likely to take some time and is therefore not expected to commence for some years.

Therefore the railway has organised a special event over Fonmon's last weekend in traffic that should see her bow out with a bang. Each day the engine will haul all the service trains, including the first train of the day on its own. The rest of the day will see Fonmon double head with one of the other steam engines. Her final day will also include a few surprises leading up to her final trips along the line.

11. conireland

conireland Member

East Lancashire Railway - 2183

2183 has recently been running at the East Lancashire Railway and is shown to be running on the following dates...

26/27/28th August

She ran last weekend also

12. craiggluyas

craiggluyas Member

Industrialisation Engineer
    And she's running in the week too. She sounds fantastic up the drag to Heywood, can hear her all the way up whilst I'm sat in my office at Pilsworth!

13. 68077

68077 New Member

Bus Driver (unfortunately)!
    RSH 'Ugly' which is based at the spa valley railway had its left hand big end remetaled, machined, and scraped in and is now fitted back on the locomotive, the loco was barred a full revolution to ensure it didnt bind up, i was then shunted onto 4 road in the shed under tha gantry crane where the LHS cylinder cover can now be refitted along with the valve chest cover. the cab has been moved so it is now accessible and painting will commence as soon as the frames are finished. the boiler has passed a hydraulic andhas been in steam once with no apparent problems so re assembly will start soon with the aim toreturn it to operation next year.

14. ady

ady Well-Known Member

Post office
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Will the 'Ugy' be alright to go to Eridge?

15. 68077

68077 New Member

Bus Driver (unfortunately)!
    as far as i am aware its route availability is very similar to the J94 which is fine

16. hunslet24

hunslet24 New Member

Propulsion/Airframe tech in the RAF
    A picture of the regulars from Rutland having just finished off painting the steam sentinal and enjoying some light refreshment

Attached Files:

17. BoilerPrimedAgain

BoilerPrimedAgain New Member

&quot;Somewhere in the SE of England :-)&quot;
    KESR Steam Update:

#25 'Northiam' was withdrawn from service in circa December 2008, for its 10-year overhaul. The engine was dismantled a matter of days ago.

#14 'Charwelton' recently started running tests, following an overhaul. The engine's distinctive whistle is one of my favourites! Expect to see #14 in action later this year .....

18. sleepermonster

sleepermonster Member

Bagnall 2746

I am organising a certain amount of conservation work on this loco, an Austerity 0-6-0 at Peak Rail sometimes known as "The Duke". One thing it will require is a new chimney. Does anyone know of any being cast as a batch, or the whereabouts of a pattern?

Tim

19. Bestieboy

Bestieboy Member

20. have a look at the austerity locomotives owners association in google