If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Industrial Loco Updates

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by AlistairS, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Victory2199

Victory2199 New Member

As little as poss for good wage!!
    Well Avonside 1972, reading your last post again it seems I read the post wrong! Just to let you and whoever, as of Saturday last weekend, noone has been seen near or far around barrington so we understand its most likely still up for sale, offers are still welcome! although I dont think it will be cheap? and yes I did asked the question. and I took a sharp breath when told. say no more:shocked:

2. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    UKLocos shows Elizabeth as being at Old Station, Rippindale, Lincolnshire. It is also mentioned that she carries works no 1868 in error (apparently it should be 1865/1922).

The same site shows Barrington still at the CVR but states the works no as 1875 of 1921 (contrary to the posting by 'Avonside1972' above).

If this information is correct then Avonside must have issued the works numbers out of sequence - can anyone confirm/deny that this is true? Does anyone know what the correct works nos/dates should be?

Not directly related to the sale or otherwise of these locos, but it's a little puzzling!

Keith

3. Avonside1972

Avonside1972 New Member

My Appologies Keith, you are correct Barrington is W/N 1975. As far as the numbers being out of sequence, I believe Avonsides practice was to issue the number when built but to give the date when the loco was sold. For instance AE1972 Stamford was made as a stock loco 1926 but wasnt sold until 1927. I would imagine the same occured with the Betteshanger pair AE1971 St Thomas being a stock loco whilst AE2004 St Dunstan must have been built and sold directly.

Well it looks like good news then for Elizabeth. I'm glad she has found a new home.

Thanks for the tip off.

Mark

4. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Thanks for the info Mark, you learn something new everyday!

Keith

5. Respite

Respite Member

Retired
    USC No.22 HE3844 is going to Embsay for 6 weeks from the Nene Valley.
    Cumbria has failed and as Darfield is under repair for around three weeks the railway only had its Thomas lookalike available. With a Thomas event coming up over the August bank holiday and a 1940s weekend in September another engine was required.

Apparently HE3844 can be spared because there is a steam ban on at the Nene Valley at present due to fire risk to crops.

6. 504

504 New Member

AGECROFT 1 at liverpool Rd Station Manchester (now MOSI) is progessing well, water has been put into the boiler to day for the first time and new fire bars fitted. cab is in under coat ready for another sand down and frames have been lined out. No finsh date has been set its ready when its ready. Once up and runing this will allow Planet to go out and about and visit other railways.

7. yec2521

yec2521 New Member

"The Welshamn" (Manning Wardle no 1207 of1890) has recieved a coat of red oxide today at Barrow Hill roundhouse and this should be finished on sunday before a final top coat is applied in the next few weeks.She's looking much better. YEC no 2521 has startedto haveits framesneedle gunned too and plans being made to remove wheelsets in not too distant future.

8. Drewry Car

Drewry Car Member

I understand that Austerity 22 may be leaving Embsay after this weekend. Can anyone confirm if it is likely to be on the passenger service on either Saturday or Sunday please?

9. Wansfordman

Wansfordman Member

Guard, Nene Valley Railway
    I heard 22 had failed unless someone can correct? I know its due to back to the NVR for the forthcoming Steam Gala.

10. Chris A

Chris A New Member

Down at the Ecclesborne Valley Railway, having completed Ferry Bridge No3, work has turned to the other, larger Barclay Henry Elison. This engine is in much better condition, although very very grimy. This is due to the method of preservation, which was to pour lorry sump oil over it. Will take some pictures for you industrial bashers (lol) on sunday.
    ;)
    Chris

11. Chris A

Chris A New Member

As promised pictures of the restoration... If they dont work, they are also located within my fotopic along with many other photos of the railway and its stock. (warning DMUs feature a bit too much! Lol) http://christopher.photoblog.co.uk/c1827494.html

Will try and keep you updated on the progress with this engine, that once built should be able to handle the 8.5 mile line.
    DSCN1568.JPG
    Buffers have been removed
    DSCN1569.JPG
    The cleaned up smokebox tubeplate ready for a retube
    DSCN1565.JPG
    The back end of the loco
    DSCN1567.JPG
    Wrong time of year... sorry springs
    DSCN1566.JPG
    The loco is currently being jacked up to remove the wheels to check the axle boxes.
    DSCN1570.JPG
    The sokebox tube plate ready for a retube

12. P&JR1854

P&JR1854 New Member

The People's Democratic Republic of the Causey Arc
    Sir Cecil A. Cochrane returned from its holiday at Beamish today just after Sir Berkeley arrived as the second visitor for our gala... I'm told W.S.T. is replacing Cochrane at Beamish for now.

13. 68077

68077 New Member

Bus Driver (unfortunately)!
    RSH 'Ugly' at the Spa Valley Railway is now completely in topcoat and looking very 'industrial' one more topcoat to follow (total of 3 already, 4 in some areas) the boiler fittings are nearly completed with just the injectors and vac ejector to refit after cleaning/refurbishment. the ashpan made of chromweld is still also to be finished with the main sections already welded with stainless wire just the doors and mechanisms to link up a boiler cert will then be sought looking to be running in towards the end of october!

14. yec2521

yec2521 New Member

work started on removing running plate on YEC 2521 last weekend with the majority from the firemans side now removed. needle gunning of the outside of the frames has started as has drilling out the studs which formerly held the firebox retaining plates on. quotes being obtianed for tyre turning and axlebox overhauls.. On Manning Wardle 1207 of 1890 "THE WELSHMAN" has been completely been red oxided today and had her chimney sealed up so as not to let the weather in and a cosmetic water tank filler cap made. ready for some nice glossy black top coat now.

15. steam81c

steam81c New Member

Fitter
    The Hawthorn Leslie 3837 Preservation society has just purchased 3837 from Mole Valley district council where she has been standing for over 25 years behind Leatherhead leisure centre. We are now in the process of moving her to her new home where she will be fully overhauled into full working order

Hawthorn Leslie 0-6-0 Saddle Tank
    Standard Gauge
    Works Number 3837
    Running Number 16
    Built 1934
    Weight 35t
    16in x 24in outside cylinders

16. Avonside1972

Avonside1972 New Member

17. Chris A

Chris A New Member

Henry Ellison is comming along fast. Tank and cab have been paintedp into grey primer and axle boxes removed for checking. Since this engine had an overhaul just 4 months before it came out of traffic, work is moving alon fast with it and hopes are to have it in traffic in the not too distant future, but this of course all depends on funding and people being available to do the work. There are no gurantees at this stage.

18. 32110

32110 Member

Retired from full time paid work
    Over the last year some of the major components of RSH 7609 (Boiler, new inner firebox, frames, bunker and wheels) have been transferred to the East Somerset Railway from Avon Valley Railway (the rest to follow) in order that its overhaul may be completed. The overhaul re-commenced 18 Sept and should complete within two years. I will try and keep you posted of progress.

19. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

if anyones around in east kent today look out for a red austerity tank on a low loader Antwerp is due to be delivered to selinge some time today, i did hear around 2,30, but this time is not confermed but she is defo heading south

20. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Look after her. Me and 'Twerp have a long association. Since Waterloo Main days, (c1965). Primdose Hill, through the overhaul at Allerton Bywater, then Wheldale and finally the NYMR.