If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Industrial Loco Updates

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by AlistairS, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Jonno854

Jonno854 New Member

Land Manager
    RSH 7416 'Agecroft No.1' has arrived at the NRM and appears to be their working loco for the summer, 31178 having gone back to the Bluebell. Steam works at weekends and every day during the school holidays, subject to staffing, boiler wash outs etc. This weekend was without steam as she needed steam test etc before taking up her duties.

HY_4273 likes this.
  2. northernsteam

northernsteam Member

Used to be in civil engineering, highway bridges.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Post retracted as not fully accurate and possibly misleading, sorry folks.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  3. estwdjhn

estwdjhn New Member

Boilermaker
    Err,what happened? Your description makes it sound like the smokebox tubeplate has "come off" the angle ring, but that's not a usual failure mode (and would, even in light steam, result in a fairly spectacular explosion).

4. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    The statement is intriguing me, as well. Is it simply a leak between the template and the angle ring which a bit of caulking would cure?

5. MichaelDNTR

MichaelDNTR New Member

I’d just like to weigh in here and clear a few things up as some of the above information isn’t quite correct. I was on site shortly afterwards so feel like I’m well placed to comment. A.No.5 developed a leak on the lap joint between the firebox crown and the tube plate whilst the locomotive was in steam. The crew failed the engine, filled the boiler and threw out the fire to be on the safe side. It certainly wasn’t a catastrophic separation of boiler plates! We still are unsure as to the exact cause of the leak but we think there could be some corrosion of a handful of rivets, we’ll only know after the boiler inspector has had a look but she’s laid up for the time being.

Bluenosejohn, 30854, Steve and 2 others like this.