If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Industrial Loco Updates

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by AlistairS, Apr 17, 2008.

1. clinker

clinker Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer

Not sure that I should 'Like' this post, but I've no doubt that it is true. As an aside I believe that when 'Gervase' was recovered from Rolvenden the engine was 'Missing' so what had happened to it? and where did the present engine in 'Gervase' come from? I do know of a few Sentinel road wagons that have engines owing there origin to railway loco's.

2. mikehartuk

mikehartuk New Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    You are right. When I acquired Gervase around about 16 years ago its power unit was missing and its boiler beyond repair. I managed to secure the power unit from a dismantled late 1940's standard Sentinel industrial loco and that have since served the loco well. The outer boiler shell came from Telford Railway with the inner box kindly provided by Middleton Railway. All being well by year end Gervase 10 yearly boiler and general overhaul should be finished and this rather fun loco back in service. Mike Hart

clinker, ykin01, Johnme101 and 13 others like this.
  3. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Looking at the cover photo of that edition of the Tenterden Terrier serves to remind me how young most of the volunteers were back then. It was not just with the KESR but on heritage railways generally. I was a 12 year old when I first got involved and that wasn't unusual.

Miff, marshall5 and ragl like this.
  4. Fireline

Fireline Well-Known Member

The less said about what happened to the original engine, the better....

5. marshall5

marshall5 Well-Known Member

The latter 'gentleman' accounted for at least two that I know of - a Bagnall B2178 at Embsay and one of the Avonside B3's at Middleton. He was the 'Arthur Daley' of preservation. Some years ago I drew up a list of locos once thought to be preserved but later scrapped - if anyone is interested I'll attach it below. I know there are errors and omissions in it. Maybe it's a good time to fill in any gaps?
    Ray.
    p.s. I now believe HL2449 Salmond was owned by a group of Merseyside MRC members and taken to West Bank Widnes where it was later scrapped. Derelict S9529 & P830 were scrapped at Lytham Motive Power Museum by Wards in exchange for ex Preston Docks 'Princess'.

Attached Files:

6. Bluenosejohn

Bluenosejohn New Member

There is a picture from 1956 of Coalbrookdale No 5 in Railway Bylines July 2021 with detailed notes from Nick Deacon.

It was one of six 0-4-0ST built by the Darby family's Coalbookdale Iron Company between 1864 and 1866. Two went to another branch of the family business in Ebbw Vale and two more to their business at Horsehay ( where the Telford Steam Railway are now ). Numbers 5 and 6 were retained at Coalbrookdale.

The original locomotives had launch-type boilers favoured by the Royal Navy at the time but less effective on rail due to restricted flow of air into the firebox.

No 5 received a new boiler in 1924 from the nearby Lilleshall Company at Oakengates and was sold for scrap to the Victoria Colliery Company in Wellington. Instead of being cut up it was found to be of further use and was loaned to the Netherseal Colliery in Derbyshire until 1934. It then ended up at Bardon Hill Granite Quarry near Coalville, Leicestershire but by 1956 was sheeted up out of use as in the aforementioned photograph.

In 1959 with the Coalbrookdale Works Museum being prepared for opening, the manager Mr G.F. Williams was advised of the continuing survival of the engine in Leicestershire and he was able to negotiate a long term loan of the locomotive in time for the opening of the Museum in October of that year.

As outlined in another post the reference to the Sentinel being rebuilt on the chassis of No 5 is presumably an error for No 6 as supported by the IRS Handbook for the County.

Steve and 84H like this.
  7. Fireline

Fireline Well-Known Member

As we've already established, Dom had left the KESR before scrapping. I don't think we've ever scrapped a steam engine, though it has been close!

burnham-t, clinker and Miff like this.
  8. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Thanks for producing this. If I may correct one thing, AE 1569 ‘Swansea was not cut up at or by Middleton but was sold to Keith Rose and left the railway. It was understood to be going to Embsay but whether it actually went there I can’t say. I believe he did this with at least one other loco. AE 1671 had only ever been bought as a source of spares for 1569, which had lost all its non-ferrous bits and, once they and a few other things were removed, the remains were scrapped.

marshall5 likes this.
  9. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Thanks for that - that's pretty much what the information panel adjacent to the loco at the museum said. The entry on Preserved British Locomotives has a little more detail and, given it was provided by the museum itself, I am sure is accurate. https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/coalbrookdale-no-5/

What had flummoxed me a bit though was the same site also claiming the same loco had formed the basis of a Sentinel! From @Steve's notes, it seems that it was No. 6 whose mortal remains ended up there, not No. 5.

It is an interesting survivor.

Tom

10. marshall5

Like I said the list was drawn up many years ago - before that new information came to light. By putting the 'draft' list out there we might, collectively, be able to correct any other queries/inaccuracies.
    Ray.

11. clinker

clinker Member

I really can't 'Like' this post but I thank You for producing it, I do however notice that Dom's scrapping is unfortunately still attributed to the KESR

12. marshall5

The list I posted was a first draft, made up some years ago as a Word document, in the hope that it could be corrected/updated through the collective wisdom of Nat.Pres. . It was converted into a PDF to post here. To update it I have to go back to the original Word document. I understand your concern and once it appears that no more corrections/further information is likely I will do all the corrections at one go.
    Ray.

clinker likes this.
  13. Jonno854

Jonno854 New Member

Land Manager
    Ray

I've been working on similar myself for sometime. I'll cross reference and come back to you. Jonathan

marshall5 likes this.
  14. alexl102

alexl102 Member

15. brennan

brennan Member

Ex Devonport Dockyard No 19 currently in store at the Bodmin and Wenford has been open to offers for over a year but with little or no interest. Although complete and in good mechanical condition the work required to the boiler is extensive. Anyone interested should contact the railway. It would look nice in a museum display.

16. sleepermonster

sleepermonster Member

Bagnall 2746 The Duke

Bringing old machinery back into use after long storage can lead to problems and after the half term holiday half of a very large bolt was found down the line and handed in by the PW dept. This turned out to be the bottom half of the Glut Bolt from the right hand big end.

This item screws into tapered glut block, which works against a matching taper on the inner half of the bearing and holds it up tight to the big end itself. Examination revealed that the bolt had sheared cleanly right across, but the fracture was blackened with age and had evidently been growing for a long time.

We thought we had better replace both to be sure and an emergency request to LMS at Loughborough produced two gleaming replacements machined by CAD from EN16T within about a week, by Simon Hunter in his day job, with the design subtly improved with a radius of 1/8" introduced at the sharp change in section which probably induced the fracture. These have now been fitted by Simon Scott.

Now the design exists on CAD I dare say it can be duplicated very quickly for anyone else who needs one. Picture by Simon Hunter.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2024
    clinker, Johnme101, marshall5 and 3 others like this.
  17. estwdjhn

estwdjhn Member

Boilermaker

Attached Files:

18. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

Sad to see it go, it was the GCRN's first steam loco (possibly even first loco) on site way back in the early 90s. But hopefully a brighter future awaits.

19. sleepermonster

sleepermonster Member

Bagnall 2746 The Duke

Another stage in the re-commissioning. Up to now all its normal working has been top and tailing with a diesel due to the landslip at Duffield. Last Sunday the P.W Dept had possession of the line south of Shottle for shunting engineers wagons in connection with the landslip deviation, so when the first train got to Shottle the diesel came off and went South, and The Duke operated the five coach train on its own, which it clearly preferred. The exhaust was crisp and even, without engaging second valve, and the penberthy ejector maintained the vacuum, which was something we had doubts about as it didn't seem to do it when there was a diesel on the back, even whent the diesel was "helping". The trick seems to be to brake early and not drop below 15". Perhaps the locomotive simply does not like sharing with diesels. At some point the regulator valve will need adjusting as it is difficult to get the locomotive into second valve, not that it seems to need it much.

I now have time to take stock in the stores and there are a few things which will not be needed. I have a two feed wakefield displacement lubricat0r and an unused new small 3" steam pressure gauge reading up to 60 psi threaded about 1/2". Also a selection of 1" x 3/8" brass dome headed bolts and butterfly nuts in 1/2" and 5/8" (tank lid catches?).

Tim

Last edited: Apr 22, 2024
  20. alexl102

alexl102 Member

Update from https://www.vintagecarriagestrust.org/news.htm