If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Iraq 8F Repatriation

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Thompson1706, Mar 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saltydog

saltydog Part of the furniture

Retired
    Looks like we should all emigrate to Greece and take our bank accounts with us.
    Wonder if there is a Greek equivalent of Dai Woodham?

2. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Don't think there are any 8F's there.

3. m0rris

m0rris New Member

Don't think there are any 8F's there.[/quote:3hri8drq]
    ..But there are 3 or so unrestored but largely complete 2-10-0s begging to be brought back to their place of birth. One thing I would say though as a note of caution is that these actions might cause some resentment amongst Greeks, not necessarily just rail enthusiasts as we are taking THEIR history away and then most likely painting it so that it appears to be part of our own (i.e. BR Black with none of the greek modifications), think of the emotions/feelings that would be "spread" if the americans decided to buy and repatriate some of our yankee tanks or S160s or in the future because of a lack of care at the time no euro class 66s are preserved and we are left with around 3 but find 2 of them have been bought to be converted into euro spec class 66s on preserved railways in germany, france, belguim, holland etc!
    Whilst I for one would love to see more and more working preserved steam locos in this country we still have a few barry locos left to have their first restoration! And if these austerities (or the 8f) were to be brought back and simply dumped, waiting in a long queue behind other locos leading to their eventual rusting into oblivion not only have we lost a project but a part of another railway culture is gone forever! Another fact we must remember is that they are NOT unique to our preserved scene, we already have the austerities and 8fs!
    m0rris

4. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

It was rumoured that the Greek Railways would not release any more of the WD 2-10-0's as they wanted to keep them for spares for their two operational ones.

5. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

I did some internet research a couple of months ago when the subject of repatriating 8Fs came up, and came to the conclusion from a document I saw that there are up to six 8Fs in Turkey. I didn't bookmark the info I found, but got the impression that the group looking to do the deal were connected to the Glos-Warks, but I may be mistaken.
    The latest comment suggested that the people involved are the company now involved at Barry, with "Cambrian" in their title? .

How many of these engines are in any way complete and restorable, I just dont know.

Edit: The document I have mentioned is there on the internet if you look, dated September 2008 and mentions the Churchill 8F Company as having surveyed the remaining engines, and bidding for four of them, with two to remain preserved in Turkey, namely 45161, NBL 24670/1940 and 45168, NBL 25640/1941.

Make of it what you will, and we await developments.

6. THE MELTER

THE MELTER Member

ENGINEER
    think of the emotions/feelings that would be "spread" if the americans decided to buy and repatriate some of our yankee tanks or S160s

We could always swap a couple of them yankee tanks for a bigger engine.
    An English one the number escapes me for the moment "Dwight D something"
    Then every one would be happy,Wouldn't they?

The melter :-k

7. m0rris

m0rris New Member

Actually tbh that would be a good set up! Anyways, with so many 8fs potentially ending up on our shores would some remain in native condition? (i.e. lamps, bells, cowcatchers etc...!)?
    m0rris

8. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Are they really begging? If I recall correctly there wasn't exactly a mad rush when the NYMR group put one of theirs up for sale a few years back. It eventually ended up on the NNR, but I would guess that they aren't exactly the most suitable locos for preserved lines. It will be interesting to see how quickly the NNR put it through the works when it's overhaul falls due.

Keith

9. houghtonga

houghtonga Member

Chartered Engineer
    "Dwight D Eissenhower" and "Dominion of Canada" were state gifts from the UK Government to the US and Canadian Governments. They are on loan to the respective museums as it the country who own them. Selling or giving away a gift would be considered an insult to the UK so is politically out of the question.

10. THE MELTER

THE MELTER Member

ENGINEER
    Well the Americans have voted for change so thats OK with them ( no one said what the change would be)
    Has anyone told the French Or Germans that you should not politicaly insult People or countries.
    If insulting us in the UK is giving something back that we gave away then they can insult me even more by giving the whole country back,But still i suppose we should start here and get our own back from the beurocrats first.
    What do they want an engine with buffers for anyway.

The Melter [-X

11. agalpin

agalpin Member

Got nothing to do with the NNR. It is owned by the M&GN Society who have invested a lot of money in bringing it up to their standard.
    As for how long it takes to overhaul, that is dependant on many things. It is realistic that it will not be rushed through as the J15 is due out nine months later and deserves to be overhauled first. This would also enable the M&GN society to stagger when the overhauls are due etc. and make the scheduling much more sustainable for the future.

12. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

I think you have missed the point I was making...

Keith

13. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

How many WD 2-10-0's are there in the UK ?

I recall 3672, and 600, 601 (MHR) - did this become 90775 ?

14. 60 007

60 007 New Member

I think that an Iraqi 8F would be nice, however with all due respect there are enough 8F's preserved in the country as it is. We only have one ROD, why not consider bringing one of Australia's 3 back here?!?

15. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

Perhaps because they wouldn't be prepared to sell us one?

16. arthur maunsell

arthur maunsell Well-Known Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Heritage items dont necessarily all need to be drawn into the already over-provided UK scene

Let me ask you how you would react if you heard that an Irish group had bought an N or U class mogul and were going to take it to ireland and re-gauge it to 5'3" to represent the locos of this type bought by the MGWR and GSR here.

17. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

I'd love it :)

How long before the weak pound attracts a German or Swiss musuem to make a bid on a british locomotive. It's quite common in Europe for locomotives to cross borders into different museum collections, by all regards we are quite poorly represented in steam museums of Europe, and to be honest... If a German musuem owned a British locomotive they may show us a thing or two in operating it.

18. arthur maunsell

arthur maunsell Well-Known Member

No I do not currently volunteer

I'd love it :)

me too....IIRC there were two sizes of driving wheels on our Moguls....approximating to both N and U classes...so either would do, although as you have three Us, maybe one of them would do us... (and hopw about rebuilding another into the LT 2-6-4t version?

19. admin

admin Founder Administrator

Founder National Preservation
    I have been asked by the group involved for this topic to be locked.

Please PM me if you have any problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.