If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Isle Of Man Steam Railway

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by David Bigcheeseplant, Jun 11, 2016.

1. estwdjhn

estwdjhn Member

Boilermaker
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    SVR boilers are all the same barrel diameter, however the last one will have a shorter and deeper firebox (same as the newly repaired boiler for no4).

marshall5 likes this.
  2. pmh_74

pmh_74 Member

So which one is that last one destined for? (Wondering if one of the 'long term stored' ones might get a look in!)

3. meeee

meeee Member

As much as we'd all like to see No5 run again. I expect it is more likely a long term replacement for the Hunslet boiler on No4.

Tim

GHWood, 30854 and marshall5 like this.
  4. marshall5

marshall5 Well-Known Member

The core fleet is 4,8,10-13 and 15. The previous Director of Transport publicly stated that there was only a need for one small boilered loco which was why the decision was made to only cosmetically restore No1. At the same time he stated that there was a need for a larger loco for the heaviest trains which is why No 16 is to be removed from the museum this winter for assessment for eventual restoration to working order. I suspect that this will be the only one of the long - stored locos to be brought back in to traffic in the foreseeable future and that the boiler referred to above will eventually go on No4.
    Ray.

pete2hogs, ross, banburysaint and 4 others like this.
  5. marshall5

marshall5 Well-Known Member

6. lostlogin

lostlogin New Member

I would suggest that stating that the Horse Trams runs for a mile and a half along the prom before putting in a small footnote that at best they will only run as far as Broadway this year is a tad misleading

7. 5944

5944 Well-Known Member

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    No I do not currently volunteer
  8. 30854

30854 Part of the furniture

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
  9. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Part of the furniture Staff Member Moderator

many years ago on a visit a number of us were in a taxi . As we crossed the fairy bridge we said our hello apart from one who said hello duckies . The next few days were a joy on the railway and on the last morning we were treated to the most stunning light . This was in the era of film and much film was exposed

Unbeknown to our unfortunate individual a frame at the beginning only partially wound on and on processing the slide mounting machine did its very worst, slicing each beautiful image in half . The fairies had cast their spell