If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Isle Of Man Steam Railway

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by David Bigcheeseplant, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Mike Buttell

Mike Buttell Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    About 20 to 30 on board at a guess, the weather wasn’t too clever and with covid etc.
    More pics on our fb page @hrviom

Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
    30854 likes this.
  2. marshall5

marshall5 Well-Known Member

In between frequent heavy hailstorms I managed to get a few pics of the last Douglas bound train of the 2021 season .... the 2022 season starts on 4th March.
    IMR No4 Loch (BP 1874) takes water at Castletown before preparing to take the 'Silver Dream Lunch Train' back to Douglas. At Douglas No4 ran up to the buffers on road 3 for the passengers to disembark then set back, ran round and, finally, set the carriages back to the end of the road to make it easier for the catering staff who now have to prepare for the final train at 17.45. The lunchtime train was, at best, half full. Apparently quite a few bookings had been cancelled due to Covid, particularly from corporate parties.
    Elsewhere No12's chassis and boiler have gone to the SVR for rectification of the washout plug misalignment problem.
    For those hoping to visit us in 2022 and get the best deals by booking early the 2 main special events are:
    RUSH HOUR ON THE RAILWAYS EASTER WEEKEND
    FRIDAY 15TH – MONDAY 18TH APRIL 2022
    MANX HERITAGE TRANSPORT FESTIVAL
    WEDNESDAY 27TH – SUNDAY 31ST JULY 2022
    Plans and ideas for IMR 150 in 2023 are currently being discussed.
    Cheers,
    Ray.
    IMG_2273a.JPG IMG_2275a.JPG IMG_2278a.JPG IMG_2284a.JPG

3. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    FB page bookmarked. Cheers Mike.

Looking ar Ray's post, I sincerely hope the comment "Elsewhere No12's chassis and boiler have gone to the SVR for rectification of the washout plug misalignment problem" doesn't carry the sort of connotations I could all too readily envisage!

The covid concerns are a concern (obviously). Is the IoM not as effectively locked down against this damned 'Omicron variant'?

4. Mike Buttell

Mike Buttell Member

In short (re:covid) there has been no lockdown or borders closed this time. Good percentage of population have been double/triple jabbed so govt. direction is to advise common sense and caution.

5. marshall5

Hi Howard,
    Re the washout plug problem. This first emerged on No4's heavily rebuilt boiler but has, unfortunately, re-occurred on the new SVR built boilers. It is not a huge problem really just a time consuming nuisance. The bosses on the front corner of the throatplate are just too far around the corner to line up with the holes in the frame so you can't get the plugs in and out. Judging by the hacking about of No12's frame this has happened at least once before......even part of the adjacent horn cheek has been carved away!
    With No4 the bosses were cut out and moved on Island as we have a coded welder but we couldn't get it NDT'd (due to Covid restrictions) without sending it on a quick out and back trip to Heysham for inspection there. No10's frame was sent to Bridgnorth a while back and now No12's have joined it so both boilers can be sorted once and for all.
    As Mike says we have had a good jab take-up but Covid is circulating in the schools here and the kids are taking it home to Mum & Dad (or Grans) so we have just had a 175% increase in the last 7 days. At present mask wearing is only compulsory on public transport and in health facilities but a lot of shops etc. are refusing to allow entry without one.
    Hope this answers your concerns.
    Ray.

Bluenosejohn, 30854 and Mike Buttell like this.
  6. Chrisw77

Chrisw77 New Member

Anyone who follows the Isle of Man heritage railways volunteers - steam railway check out the pic of Maitland on a low loader ready to be shipped home, she looks great, will look amazing when the finishing touches are done

Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
    Mike Buttell and 30854 like this.
  7. 30854

Retired
    To my mind the colour looks a lot more 'Ailsa/Boston Green' in natural light. As if it doesn't already, Maitland is going to look outright magnificent with all the finery applied.

8. Chrisw77

Chrisw77 New Member

most definitely, once lined out and nameplate applied it’s going to look amazing, can’t wait to see it, I was hoping chimney numerals may be re-applied but seems they won’t

9. marshall5

.... and here she is. As always updates can be found at https://www.facebook.com/hrviom/
    Ray.
    IMR No11 ready to return 5.1.22 HRV.jpg

Goldie, banburysaint, 242A1 and 4 others like this.
  10. Mike Buttell

Mike Buttell Member

No11 is now back home, pics at https://www.facebook.com/hrviom/
    It’s an open page, no need to sign in or join up, glad to have you in the group though if you wish to keep up with the news as we get it

Chrisw77, 30854 and Paul42 like this.
  11. Mike Buttell

Mike Buttell Member

Chrisw77, marshall5, Miff and 2 others like this.
  12. marshall5

One of the 'forgotten' IMR locos is about to get a long overdue cosmetic restoration if the appeal by the Isle of Man Steam Railway Supporters' Association is successful https://www.iomsrsa.org/projects/no5-mona
    IMR No5 Mona was built for the opening of the Douglas to Port Erin line in 1874 and was withdrawn in 1968 after the closure of the Peel and Ramsey lines and has been in store ever since. Some cosmetic work has already been carried out on No.5's boiler in Port Erin carriage shed and it is hoped that the loco can be completed in time for IMR 150 in 2023. The photo below, courtesy of IMR Online, shows No.5 about to depart from Ramsey station during the Ailsa era.
    Ray.
    IMR No.5 Ramsey  IMR Online.jpg

13. Chrisw77

Chrisw77 New Member

this is great news, will be great to see her cosmetically restored after so many years, hope no.9 will also get some attention too

14. 30854

Retired
    And a smokebox door! :)

Mike Buttell likes this.
  15. Selsig

Selsig Member

My IoMSRSA magazine received today suggests that if the Mona appeal is successful that they will be moving straight onto doing the same to Douglas. I'm not quite sure where they're going to put all of these shiny restored locos, but top marks for doing it!

John

MuzTrem and 30854 like this.
  16. Chris86

Chris86 Well-Known Member

Safety, Technical and Offroad Driver Trainer
    I can't help but think that sending one of the non-runners out on tour round the UK would be good move- similar to what the FR have done with Velinheli and a couple of other locos previously.

What better way to generate interest to visit than have a Manx Peacock do the rounds at galas on wagon as part of a freight formation- or securely displayed at Liverpool Docks near the IOM ferry terminal for a short time- a visit to the NRM alongside Livingston Thompson to tell the story of the IOM railways..

17. Chrisw77

Chrisw77 New Member

haha,
    Interesting, I would say a third loco in the museum would be good (I imagine a third loco in spring green so all liveries are represented in the museum) and then a static display loco in Douglas would be nice, this would mean then that all non serviceable locos are in a presentable condition rather than looking neglected as Mona was. I can't wait top see how she looks, I remember seeing her in the late 80s in the back of the old carriage shed with Peveril and they were in a sorry state back then. I seen that Peveril is now just waiting on lining out so is nearly done, had Peveril had the same cosmetic restoration as the appeal for Mona or is Mona's a more in depth restoration?

18. Chrisw77

Chrisw77 New Member

I wonder what the plan for Fenella is as she is currently the running shed, am I right in thinking that there are no current plans for her? With 2-4 more locos potentially being in service I wouldn't imagine them needing a ninth

19. Chrisw77

Chrisw77 New Member

Being from Liverpool, it would be lovely to see one visit the docks, but can't wait to come over to the Isle of Man to see the railway again, it's been so long since I've been

Chris86 likes this.
  20. Mike Buttell

Mike Buttell Member

I’ll be watching the appeals with interest