If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Isle Of Man Steam Railway

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by David Bigcheeseplant, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Mike Buttell

Mike Buttell Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    1982 to 89.

2. Chrisw77

Chrisw77 New Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    we were there is 88 and 89, possibly 87

3. Mike Buttell

Mike Buttell Member

Before and after.
    No 8 (and 9 ) were both stored in the shed at Port Erin, at the time the operational loco shed had been transferred to the old goods shed, now part of the museum. Both locos had been sold to the IOM Railway Society, along with No5 and the frames of No7. After removal of the name and makers plates all three engines were left untouched, and fell into dreadful condition.
    The Royal Coach, saloon F36 had been removed from the museum, I think for the visit of Princess Alexandra, though I could be mistaken, it might have been merely for the Governor to travel. As luck would have it there was a good quantity of green paint left over from the repainting of the Port Erin Station Building, and I put this to use to tidy up No8 to display standard and had it shunted into the museum. All in all a very satisfying project and one that took about three weeks to complete. The loco stayed in the museum for a short while until the Royal Coach was returned. This was completely at my own instigation, no official support from the operators or supporters organisations was required. Although not maybe to exhibition standards, the engine looked considerably smarter and drew great interest from visitors to the museum. A couple of years later No9 received similar treatment from the chap who took my place and a team of young helpers. By that time I had moved on to another job 1C4DE227-1269-4F29-AB59-044AC3D35228.jpeg FE2E92FD-9590-4137-BB37-F861B70BCC16.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 11, 2022
    30854, MuzTrem, banburysaint and 5 others like this.
  4. Mike Buttell

Mike Buttell Member

Here’s a picture taken by my friend Charles Faragher of myself putting the finishing touches to the brass work on No8 prior to it going into the museum for a short time 47D0745C-D9BE-4B93-B595-3A1AF0DEEA07.jpeg

MuzTrem, banburysaint, 30854 and 4 others like this.
  5. Ploughman

Ploughman Part of the furniture

Ex a lot of things.
    Some photo's of Port Erin back in 1975.
    May be reversed.

Attached Files:

6. Mike Buttell

Mike Buttell Member

They are all the right way round. The first one is interesting, not many times you see three locomotives at the station at the same time, although if it’s 1975 the short section working would have meant the three were all based there

30854 likes this.
  7. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    Dark days, those. For a few years there, what with bonfires and track lifting, it seemed the line was barely clinging on by a coupling hook. At least, that was the impression a teenager living at the far end of the next island east had.

8. Mike Buttell

Mike Buttell Member

Dark days indeed.
    A couple of years ago the former Railway Manager told me some very interesting stories of the cloak and dagger skullduggery that went on to enable the full line to reopen in 1977. In 75 the trains only ran Port Erin to Castletown and the following year extended to Ballasalla. The Ballasalla extension was primarily to safeguard the level crossing over the arterial road into Douglas from the south, he said. Had this gone I don’t think we would have any steam services now and the only reminders of the railway would have been the museum

30854 and Bluenosejohn like this.
  9. 30854

Retired
    I never knew it was all that close run a thing 45 years ago.. Definitely one of those times you can say, hand on heart, "Thank Bob for such bloody-minded individuals". :)

10. marshall5

marshall5 Well-Known Member

Douglas station was the location for today's 'big shunt' on the IMR. No.11 Maitland, now partially lined, was pulled out of the paintshop by No.18 (aka "The Zanussi") and can be seen with a recently repainted 'large F' and F27 (ii), the service car from the dining set on road 0. F27 has been receiving attention to a leak in the roof and other repairs ahead of, hopefully, another busy season. No.13 Kissack was in steam in the running shed ahead of tomorrow's steam test (with No.4) for the boiler inspector. MNR No.4's wheels are still in the lathe but it will undergo its dry inspection. Privately owned and restored MNR Cleminson No.6, now fully lettered and back on all its wheels was parked on the mainline alongside the workshops. There are just a few weeks to go before the season opens on Fri. 4th March. First 2 photos courtesy of Heritage Railway Volunteers https://www.facebook.com/hrviom/ FWIW I think I have got to the bottom of the apparent shade differences in the "Ailsa Green" used recently and that used from 1967. The paint recently used on No.11 and previously on No.10 was LNER Apple Green whilst the shade specified by Lord Ailsa was actually 'Spring Green'.
    Ray.
    IMR No.11 Douglas Stn. 15.2.22 HRV.jpg Shunting at Douglas 15.2.22 HRV.jpg IMG_2285a.JPG

Last edited: Feb 15, 2022
  11. Johann Marsbar

Johann Marsbar Well-Known Member

This online presentation from last month by Ian Longworth for the Pennsylvania Trolley Museum on the subject of Isle of Man Transport might be of interest....

Covers the Steam Railway, Horse Trams, Snaefell and MER lines.

Paul42, clam1952, black5 and 2 others like this.
  12. MuzTrem

MuzTrem Member

That would make sense. Still, I reckon the difference will not be noticeable once the lining out is completed. Certainly, No. 11 looks much better now we are seeing photos of her outdoors and in good light, as opposed to the rather gloomy shots of her in the works at Statfold. It just goes to show how subjective colour perception is...

13. 30854

Retired
    A lot of fascinating stuff in that clip. Well worth watching. Many thanks to @Johann Marsbar for posting it.

T'would appear the (Manx) cat is well and truly out of the bag concerning Mannin. I'll say no more on that, except if you've not yet seen the clip .... do yourself a favour and sit down with a cuppa to watch it!

It was refreshing to hear Mr. Longworth speak of how well the dining trains are doing, most especially as it's developed such a strong local customer base. That confirms what I'd seen in every photo and clip I've seen over the past couple of years, as well as reports from our IoM based compadres. Mr Longworth mentioned that demand is at a level necessitating advanced (well advanced) booking. Nice problem for the IMR!

A thought occurs: That being the case, perhaps there's now a firm financial case to rehabilitate the second Empress for gainful employment? Mucking out dining carriages ready for the next sitting is one issue, cleaning and prepping the kitchen car is another thing entirely. Having a second kitchen vehicle "ready to go" might better place the railway to capitalise on demand, allowing a much faster turnaround (i.e. additional services!). If a representation of one in original form is desirable, might there not be enough bits'n'bobs left over to assemble a "display only" exhibit?

Away from the IMR, mention of extending MER services south, over the horse tramway (as per a plan from the 1890s) came as a surprise. Apropos nothing (honest!), in the Woolwich of yore, a tight tramway curve from Beresford Square into New Road, to join the line from Plumstead, involved some interesting interlaced trackwork .... and that was UK standard gauge.

Re: the contentious work to the horse tram buildings ... at least we now know there's a sound, if regrettable 90 year old reason for the work. BTW (any horsey types here?) If the tram horses are the result of cross-breeding Clydesdales and Shires, is there a case to be made for their descendents to be classified as the first new breed of heavy horse anywhere for very many moons (the "Douglas", perhaps?). Heavy horses have their specialty fan base, every much as narrow gauge electric trams and steam locos. Of all the equine family, I'm especially fond of these impressive, (generally) well tempered horses myself.

..... and what's all this stuff about roller bearings? Modernisation gone mad, I tell you! :Woot:

paullad1984 likes this.
  14. Mike Buttell

Mike Buttell Member

Just a quick point, the Empress van used as the kitchen car on the dining train is a replica, built from the patterns of the original F27 which was then dismantled, (the wooden frames remain) F28 the other original van still exists but is in pretty poor shape. They do have a new metal under frame in stock and there are rumours from time to time it will be put to use.

MuzTrem and 30854 like this.
  15. Chrisw77

Chrisw77 New Member

Thanks Johann Marsbar for posting, great news about Mannin, looking forward to see her in steam at some point

16. paullad1984

paullad1984 Member

Hooray for mannin!

17. marshall5

Mike Buttell likes this.
  18. marshall5

According to recent posts on the U.S. based Narrow Gauge Discussion Group https://ngdiscussion.net/phorum/read.php?1,435423 Motive Power & Equipment Solutions, manufacturer of IMR N0.21 (aka 'The Cabbage'), has filed for bankruptcy citing cash flow issues. If I understand correctly this has been precipitated by their failure to complete their contract with the 3' g. Durango & Silverton R.R. for the supply of 2 large diesel electric locos (converted from s,g.). At present the incomplete and unusable locos are in Durango yard - sounds familiar doesn't it???? Anyone want a pair of $3 million paperweights?
    Ray.

19. Llwyngwern

Llwyngwern Member

That is bad news for the Durango folk and let's hope they haven't paid a lot of money for two unusable locos.

Perhaps we should we should be wary of companies billing themselves as Solutions. Sloppy naming could reflect equally sloppy thinking and work.

20. Chrisw77

Chrisw77 New Member

Looking forward to seeing pics of Maitland along the line, been too long