If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Isle Of Man Steam Railway

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by David Bigcheeseplant, Jun 11, 2016.

1. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Gravity workings and unfitted trains on the Ffesterbahn and Corris certainly still do. Must admit, haven't noticed whether any remaining unfitted trains elsewhere on the NG do (the hell with coming down Golfa by gravity!!).

Q for @Mike Buttell is the IMR rule on (heritage) goods stock due to it being only through piped?

2. Mike Buttell

Mike Buttell Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Q for Mike Buttell is the IMR rule on (heritage) goods stock due to it being only through piped?

Yes that’s it. That’s why most of the modern photo charters have the goods stock within the train, usually next to the loco.

30854 likes this.
  3. 30854

Retired
    Thanks Mike, though in that case .... how official are today's demonstrations of 'fly shunting' managed? Maybe best to ignore that question!!

So ..... if the situation ever arises where I find myself able to fund a recreated 'K' wagon (rowdy sprogs for the carriage of), it'll need to be a fitted "K" wagon. Okey dokey ..... :)

4. Mike Buttell

Mike Buttell Member

I heard a rumour that the iomsrsa were considering fitting their rebuilt G1 with brake gear, it’s gone quiet recently, but I’m not in that loop so maybe it’s still being thought.
    The privately restored Cleminson is also just through piped.

5. Mike Buttell

Mike Buttell Member

Here’s one of my favourite old pics, from 1953, No4 Loch in charge of a couple of carriages including the ubiquitous half brake and a string of wagons as tail stock. Classic IMR
    Railway Museum Collection (Fraser)
    FB4008D4-76B7-4273-9C3C-96862D653C65.jpeg

6. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Do you mean "fly" shunting? Or do you mean "loose" shunting? They are completely different moves (*); and whereas loose shunting may be allowed, fly shunting has always (I believe) been banned, or at least strongly discouraged.

Our rule book, which is based on the BR 1950 rule book, allows loose shunting under certain tightly specified conditions. It makes no mention of "fly" shunting but the inference is, with no described procedure to carry it out, it is not allowed. I strongly suspect that was inherited from BR and probably from much earlier. Double shunting is expressly prohibited.

(*) For clarity:
    • "Loose shunting" is a propelling move. The loco pushes the wagons, which are split into two or more groups. At the right moment the loco brakes momentarily and the uncoupled set run forward on their own into a siding, with a shunter walking alongside to control their speed and stopping point.
    • "Double shunting" is like "loose" shunting, except it leads towards a set of facing points; after the first cut of wagons has gone one way over the points, they are changed and the second cut goes the other way over the points, for example into a different siding.
    • By contrast, "fly" shunting is a hauling move, rather than a propelling one. The loco accelerates with the wagons; eases slightly to bunch the couplings up, the cut of wagons is uncoupled and the engine and front of the train then accelerates away over a set of points, which are then changed behind and the detached wagons roll the other way over the points. It has always been considered dangerous.
    Tom

Last edited: Nov 1, 2022
    Steve likes this.
  7. marshall5

marshall5 Well-Known Member

On my first visit to the IoM in August 1967 South line trains were only running as far as Castletown due to the installation of a gas main along the trackbed beyond C'town. The photo below not only shows IMR No.5, which has just run round, displaying one of the Ailsa period discs but a last vehicle 'target' on the brake van.
    Ray.
    32 No 5 at Castletown 24 Aug 1967.jpg

8. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

Tom, thanks for that, I must admit I for one had this confused. I've often thought I had seen an example of fly shunting (in Berlin in 1997!) but I now realise it was loose shunting. Still fascinating to watch and still looks dangerous!

Back on topic, thanks for the replies re IOM headcodes (or lack of) and discs, that was more interesting than I expected.

Mike Buttell and Jamessquared like this.
  9. 30854

Retired
    I've seen periodic announcements of 'demonstrations of fly shunting' on the IMR, a practice I know has long been forbidden in the UK. Whether what was announced is in fact "loose shunting" is another matter. The danger you refer to is clear enough. Recall the accident at Brynglas on the TR, many tears ago now, caused by points being prematurely changed under a moving train?

A question occurs (usual caveat .... apologies if it's a daft one), but did slip operations invariably involve the 'slipped' carriage coming to rest in a platform line previously passed by the through train from which it detached .... and only ever that line?

10. Mike Buttell

Mike Buttell Member

Having brought in the first of the November Weekend Only services, MNR No4 Caledonia soaks up the liquid sunshine at Port Erin water tower BA42951A-E466-4D74-8314-F70F4228991B.jpeg

11. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

No need to stop at the water tower - just open the tank fillers and let the sky do its thing! ;)

Tom

5944 likes this.
  12. Mike Buttell

Mike Buttell Member

Yes it was a bit like that this morning alright. Beautiful day here now though :)

13. Mike Buttell

Mike Buttell Member

No11 Maitland at Port Erin shed
    5A236529-3700-47BF-A0E4-055783E4C758.jpeg

14. marshall5

Throughout November a one-train weekends only service is in operation and the 13.50 ex Douglas was photographed departing Port St.Mary in the low afternoon sun earlier today. In the adjacent goods shed the cosmetic restoration of loco No.5 Mona, built for the opening of the South line in 1874, continues with the first top coats of Ailsa green being applied. As soon as the damaged left hand cylinder cladding has been repaired and re-fitted the pony truck can go back in ready for the boiler to be lifted back, hopefully before Christmas. A full programme of events is scheduled for December with the Santa Express 3-4/12 and 10-11/12, Polar Express 17, 19-22/12 with a very full dining car schedule which can be viewed here https://www.iombusandrail.im/media/2614/steam-into-christmas-2022.pdf .
    Ray.
    IMG_2520 (2)a.JPG IMG_2523a.JPG

15. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

No.5 is looking good... out of interest, apart from the obvious boiler overhaul/replacement, how much work would actually be required to restore it to working order? (I realise this is unlikely, but having stripped it to this extent I imagine its condition will be well known, at least.)

weltrol and 30854 like this.
  16. marshall5

Unfortunately No.5 was thoroughly worn out when it was withdrawn in 1968. It could be restored, at a cost, but I think that it would be difficult to make a business case for it and there are other locos in better condition ahead of it in the overhaul queue. However...... if someone wished to sponsor its overhaul......
    Ray.

pmh_74 and weltrol like this.
  17. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

Ah, shame. Well, maybe one day... I was lucky enough that No.1 was in steam for my one trip to the IOM (yes, it was that long ago) so never say never, I suppose.

18. marshall5

Although this weekend's trains are the last of the 2022 timetable Santa trains and Festive Diner trains will run almost daily from the 2nd Dec. (Commuter train) until 4th Jan. The 2023 timetable will commence on 3rd. March.
    The photo below (courtesy IoMSRSA) is a rather different view of Port Erin railway museum as some maintenance work commences. Loco No.1 Sutherland and F75 'Governor's coach' are under the blue tarps while No.6 Peveril, F36 'The Royal Saloon' and the 2 wagons have been moved into P.E. carriage shed for temporary storage. When the museum was revamped in the 90's the track on the left was laid with round 'pole' sleepers (as in 1873) . Unfortunately the woodworm must have found the sap wood tasty and the infestation has spread from there so treatment is now required.
    Ray.
    IMR P.E. Museum works 23.11.22 IoMSRSA.jpg

19. marshall5

A recent video featuring the work being done in the SVR's boilershop can be viewed here
    So what has this got to do with the IMR? In several shots IMR No.12 Hutchinson's boiler and frames can be seen. As I reported a while ago the washout plug holes in the new boiler didn't quite line up with the holes in the frame so remedial work is being done before the boiler/frame unit returns to the Island for the overhaul to be completed. The nearly all-new boiler for No.16 Mannin also appears. This is different to the previously supplied boilers having a larger barrel dia. of 3'6" as against 3'3" for the 'medium' locos.
    Hope you enjoy the video - I certainly did.
    Ray.

Kempenfelt 82e and 30854 like this.
  20. paullad1984

paullad1984 Member

So mannin will return? Blimey.