If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Isle of Wight Steam Railway Carriage and Wagon updates

Discussion in 'Heritage Rolling Stock' started by gwalkeriow, Jul 28, 2011.

1. stephenvane

stephenvane Member

Despite never running on the island itself, other identical coaches did so 2403 is still very appropriate for the railway.

Yes that is the main appeal of the IOWSR to me, it has such an interesting and historical correct collection of coaches. It's a breath of fresh air from riding in yet another MK1 like you find at most other railways.

2. gwalkeriow

gwalkeriow Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Thank you for your kind comments. The 2 coaches that were identical to 2403 were rebuilt before coming to the island with angle trussed underframes so the bogie B underframe looks correct. Unforetunatly the standard SR bogies don't quite match the Fox pattern bogies that it should carry.

Projects that are still to come are the original Oldbury built coaches from 1864 onwards, they are only about 22' in length! A train of 6 would be approximatly the same length as 2 MK 1 coaches. Incidently 2 Newport and Cowes coaches from 1862 still exsist, they would be nice to add to the Oldbury set. We are exploring the possibility of new wooden underframes for the Oldburys, they would probably have to run as a set and not be mixed with steel underframed stock.

Just wish we had a bigger workshop and a bigger budget, one day perhaps.

3. OldChap

OldChap Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Gary - Thanks again for the information.

So after the next 4 wheeler the LCDR bogies are next?

I know they lasted until 1948/9 in service so I wonder if they were the last wooden underframed coaches in service with BR?

4. gwalkeriow

Retired.
    It should be the first of the LCDR brakes after the 4 wheeler not sure which one, we will have to do a detailed assesment first.
    Not sure if they were the last wooden underframed coaches in service, I wonder who would know?

5. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

A bit of a special case, but the GN Directors' Saloon (currently based at the Bluebell), witha wooden underframe, was not withdrawn until 1969. Admittedly that was essentially a departmental vehicle, rather than one in public service.

Tom

6. OldChap

OldChap Member

Gary - What is the process on the IOW to shorten a u/f? do you remove material from one end or both? how do you shorten the angle trussing so it remains centered etc

7. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Don't know about the IoW, but the Bluebell, who have done similar conversions, have used two different methods:

- Chop the required length out of the middle (staggering the cuts through the four main frame members), then weld the remaining ends together.
    - Remove the horn guides and buffer beam, couplings etc from one end, chop the required length from that end, put new holes in the residual frames and bolt the horn guides, buffer beam back on.

As I understand it, the second method (shortening from one end, with all the palaver of repositioning one set of running gear) is more work, but is now the preferred method at the Bluebell. Stroudley brake 949 (currently under overhaul) has had its underframe prepared using that method.

Tom

8. gwalkeriow

Retired.
    The method that we use to shorten PMV underframes is to remove a short section from each end just inboard of the wheelsets. The most common reduction is to remove 2' 3'' from each end to accomodate a 28' body. This method requires very little in the way of further alterations. Other modifications are to exchange the 9 leaf springs for softer 7 leaf springs and for us the need to change the brake system to air from vacuum.

The first bogie underframe modification may require a new approach, it may be possible to use the same method. We have not studied the possibilities in any great detail as yet.

9. OldChap

OldChap Member

Gary thanks again for the update.

10. cav1975

cav1975 Member

11. gwalkeriow

Retired.
    Very nice to see the photographs of 2403 in the sunshine taken on Monday - Well done Gary & the team.

Thanks Nick I will pass that on to the team. Still a few jobs to do but definatly getting near to completion, I would estimate early autumn.
    Incidentley we have made a start on the next 4-wheel underframe for LBSCR brake 3rd 4115 so that the team cannot rest for too long on their laurels!

12. gwalkeriow

Retired.
  13. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

I saw a short bogie vehicle (? baggage van) on a very long low loader in Portsmouth this week. Presumably this was heading in the direction of the Isle of Wight ferry.

Can anyone enlighten me please?

Paul H.

14. gwalkeriow

Retired.
    Paul

It was the first of the two ex-Horsham vans that have been stored by the Mid Hants Railway for the IOWSR. The original delivery attempt had to be aborted due to the van and lowloader being too tall for the ferry. A different trailer had to be used to meet the height restriction.

The second van is due to be delivered this coming Tuesday. Fingers crossed.

15. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

Much obliged,

Paul

16. Buckeye

Buckeye New Member

A few questions on the IOW line if anyone can answer please.

I noticed yesterday that none of the brake hoses were held on dummy couplings when not in use - was this an island thing?

Where do you get your air brake equipment from i.e. application handles, Westinghouse pumps etc? The one on Ajax looked to be an older type drivers handle.

On Friday there was one Ivatt tank in the loco shed - what no. was it? The 2-6-0 was visible on the new sidings but where is the other 2-6-2T? I'd not seen the new sidings before, mind you it turns out its 15 years since I was over on the island!

Have to say I was very impressed with the line, esp. in view of the long time since a past visit. Everything looked clean & tidy and no wrecks awaiting restoration visible like at so many other lines. Makes a pleasant change not to have Mk1's and to have air brakes and not vacuum - just love to hear the pump panting away. Even better was the fact that I can get privs on the boat and steam train, so made the visit even more attractive. Will have to come back again soon.

17. gwalkeriow

Retired.
    The air brake hoses do not need to be on dummy couplings as they are sealed in the closed position by the "end cocks" every locomotive and fitted vehicle is equipped with "end cocks" Not sure if this practice was confined to the island

The air brake equipment has come from a number of sources, but was in the main obtained at the end of steam on the island by a number of very far sighted people. LBSCR 8 comp 3rd 2403 which is our present project has an air brake cylinder that was aquired at that time

Both the Ivatt tanks are in fact in the Locomotive shed, one behind the other.

I must admit that we do have our share of wrecks but I think we may be better than some at screening them from public view. It is rather easier to hide grounded bodies.

18. gwalkeriow

Retired.
  19. gwalkeriow

Retired.
    View attachment 4938

STOP PRESS

LBSCR 5 Plank open wagon 27834 on a full line test earlier today, passed with flying colours! This wagon has a totally new oak underframe as the old one had actually collapsed. Picture A Summers

20. gwalkeriow

Retired.