If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Isle of Wight Steam Railway Carriage and Wagon updates

Discussion in 'Heritage Rolling Stock' started by gwalkeriow, Jul 28, 2011.

1. gwalkeriow

gwalkeriow Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The latest C & W update is now online

The Isle of Wight Steam Railway - Carriage & Wagon News - August 2012

2. gwalkeriow

Retired.
  3. gwalkeriow

Retired.
  4. gwalkeriow

Retired.
    I have started to update my flickr site on a fairly regular basis, so it is possible to keep up to date with happenings in the C & W at Havenstreet.

Flickr: gwalkeriow's Photostream

5. Corbs

Corbs Well-Known Member

I just looked back through your entire flickr photostream. Lots of inspiring stuff, the wooden stock on the IoWSR is a joy to behold. Amazing how you had the PMV in the car park for loading as well!

6. gwalkeriow

Retired.
    I have been very very lucky, 20+ years at the Severn valley, with 8 of those years full time in C&W, 10+ years with BR and the Midland Metro and into my 7th year as C&W Supervisor at IOWSR.

The PMV in the car park was only last Saturday, putting 6 1/2 tons of Oak into it was quite a challenge. The Oak will provide the next 4 wooden underframes for our historic wagons. It is the second time that we have had a PMV in the car park, the first one was taken for a trundle to turn it round. Some times you have to use your imagination to do things with the minimum of expenditure!

7. Corbs

Corbs Well-Known Member

Indeed! Was that using a crane or 'persuasion'?
    Great to see you've got a plan for the oak and a method of keeping it to avoid delivery delaying a rebuild, the transformations from a pile of metal bolted to rot, to a fully restored wagon pictured in your album were extremely impressive.

8. gwalkeriow

Retired.
    A little gentle persuasion was used, we enlisted the help of a Maniscopic fork lift.

The Oak is for the next four wagon underframes, 3 LBSCR open wagons and the LSWR match truck that goes with the Midland railway 1864 hand crane. The Oak is green so will require a few years drying out. It has been supplied as complete kits, so it will only require a little trimming and the mortise and tenon joints.

9. Peter Hall

Peter Hall Guest

This is in no way meant as a criticism. As a 'rivet counter' I am scratching my head over certain details regarding the 'Southern Woodies' as I refer to the SR B, CCT, GUV & PMV that are in use in some form or other on the railway. I am sure though that someone reading this can clarify and amend the 'Stock List' details on the railways website accordingly.

Thus my queries are:-

1) The text for the restored 4-wheel carriages is inconstitent in sometimes the number of the donor underframe is given but on other occasions it is not. It would be very useful for the likes of me if it was always quoted.

2) A discrepency exists over which way around the donor underframes were used for 2515 and 6378. The text for 2515 implies 1783 but the stocklist gives 1947 with 1783 used for 6378. This in turn raises another discrepency on the Stock List as I believe 1947 should read 1497.

3) The Stock List is inconsistent in that it refers to these vans with and without suffix and sometimes by first number and other times by last.

4) It is not possible to identify from the Stock List how many CCT/PMV bodies are grounded on the railway in use as stores etc. I believe that only those of PMV 1617 and CCT 1750 at Havenstreet now survives with that of 1497 at Wotton having been scrapped a year or so ago. Is this still correct?

Any clarifications very much welcomed.

10. gwalkeriow

Retired.
    I am afraid most of the restorations are from before my time with the IOWSR, so I am a little confused as well! It may well be worth looking at the VCT site that may have more information.

I can confirm that there are just two intact bodies at Havenstreet which I would assume are the two that you list. The current conversion for use under a 4 wheeler is 1669, very little was left of the body, what remained was indeed scrapped.

I will consult with minds greater than mine when I return to work after the Easter break.

11. gwalkeriow

Retired.
    As far as I can tell the bodies and underframes are as follows

2515 = 1497
    4112 = 1720
    6369 = 1533
    2343 = 1617
    4115 = 1669
    6378 = 1783
    6336 = 1750

There are actually three PMV bodies at Havenstreet, two are loco stores and one an S&T store, I will have to do a little more detective work!

12. Peter Hall

Peter Hall Guest

Thanks for your detective work so far.

Your listing of which body is with which underframe agrees with mine and the VCT website so just needs the IOW website to be corrected.

Re-check of my records does indeed show three PMV bodies at Havenstreet, 1617, 1750, 1783 which is also shown on the VCT website. I presume some clearly carry their numbers but if not it might be worth applying in the correct position and style to aid future identification.

13. gwalkeriow

Retired.
  14. Corbs

Corbs Well-Known Member

Always love an update, and I must say that the site on the whole is great to use with lots of info - only gripe would be non-clickable thumbnails on the info pages (e.g. of the locomotives)

15. Islander

Islander Member

The majority of the pictures on the site were originaly uploaded as enlargable thumbnails. Some months ago they all stopped working (software glitch?); although the current site is only three or four years old its replacement is in an advanced stage of development, so watch out for an improved service in the near future!

Corbs likes this.
  16. gwalkeriow

Retired.
  17. Islander

Islander Member

The September C&W news has just been published on the IWSR website (link below), the headlines this issue are:

• LBSCR Third 2403 has entered passenger traffic.
    • LBSCR 3 Compartment Brake Third 4115 is now on its new underframe, the restoration of the bodywork is already underway. This is the next 4-wheeler for our Victorian train which will number 7 vehicles when 4115 is ready for service in a few years time.
    • Rapid progress is being made on the re-build of LBSCR 10 Ton Van 3713 and preparations are underway for the next wagon project, LBSCR 10 Ton Open 27766 - the C&W team are making superb progress on rebuilding our wooden framed wagons, is any other railway doing as well?
    • The first vehicles to be moved into the 'Changing Trains' storage and display building, constructed with the assistance of the Heritage Lottery Fund, was a set of four restored LBSCR wagons.
    I was privileged to be able to drive both 'Freshwater' and 'Calbourne' during our August Bank Holiday Steam Show; With the 'Terrier' on the 4-wheelers and the O2 at the head of 4 Brighton bogies everything was exactly as it should be - just perfect!

http://www.iwsteamrailway.co.uk/new...391-carriage-a-wagon-news-september-2013.html

paulhitch and gwalkeriow like this.
  18. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

19. gwalkeriow

Retired.
    Three of the wooden framed wagons will be in use over the Gala weekend in October, two from the LBSCR and one from the LSWR. they will run in combination with two steel framed SR wagons. All are in Southern livery.
    It is the ambition of a few of our members to create an authentic I.O.W coal train, about 5 LBSCR 5 plank wagons and the LSWR Road van. We are making quite significant progress, with all of the funding coming from donations! Of course sometime in the future we will have the E1 Yarmouth to complete the scene.

20. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Ahem!

http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/pic2/wagons/lbsc_box.html
    http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/pics/3346.html

And, very close to completion, http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/pics/270.html. Not to mention the GNR Directors' Saloon. There may be other examples as well.

Still, kudos to the IoWSR, who achieve what they do on what must be significantly smaller resources than many lines.

Tom