If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Isle of Wight Steam Railway Diesel gala 2017

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Newington, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Newington

Newington New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Martin,
    If the owners were prepared to pay the transport costs and it could be done during the winter, Why not? Summer season the railway is pushed for space but winter time all the toys are in their boxes,except one loco used on Santa trains.

2. AnthonyTrains2017

AnthonyTrains2017 Well-Known Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    I so can't wait for this gala... :)

3. Newington

Newington New Member

The class 05 will also be moving about during the event,hope it will be doing brakevan shuttles. It will not be out on the running line as it is vacuum only.

4. AnthonyTrains2017

Are the island rover tickets valid on gala days where you can travel on island line and steam railway all day one price.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  5. Newington

Newington New Member

Anthony,
    I asked the question and the reply was yes the rover will be valid on the gala days.

6. Newington

Newington New Member

Bit of an update from information received at the weekend. A way has been found for 33 202 to work one train a day from Smallbrook to Wootton throughout . It will not work the return, that will be the 03. 33 202 will follow and work the train onward to Smallbrook. This will mean a gap in the timetable, but I hope we have pleased some of our visitors. This will happen each of the 3 days
    The next big thing is that the owner and the railway are working permitting cab rides on the 33 on October 2nd&3rd . This will comprise of one round trip over the line in the cab (not driving as we not ready for that yet!) There will be two booked people in the cab for each run. The price is yet to established, but a steam experience is £80 doubt if it will be any more than that. Booking will be essential. First come gets the best time slot. We hope to start the experiences at 0845 and then every 45 minutes or so. If there is any interest in this then please contact the railway to book a place.

7. AnthonyTrains2017

thank you, lucky to be staying in shanklin so ideal to travel by rail.

8. AnthonyTrains2017

Sounds brilliant, hope you get the turn out for gala. Is there a poster for gala to spread on social media?

9. Newington

Newington New Member

Anthony,
    One is being produced and should be around soon. With luck most of the magazines will have advertising in them in the coming months.

10. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    I'm dying to see how our resident IoWSR flag waver explains the authenticity of a Crompton on the Isalnd. :)

Matt37401 likes this.
  11. Newington

Newington New Member

12. Newington

Newington New Member

There can be no authenticity , but then the resident diesel locomotives did not work passenger trains on the Island either. We just felt as last years anniversary event was well supported we would try another one. We also realise that there is a declining number of people that remember steam from the sixties or before , their place is being taken by those who recall the BR blue era. Our line will always be mainly steam ,but for one weekend a year we try to encourage a different group of visitors to our line,ones with no interest in steam at all maybe.
    I can understand the purists looking aghast ,we are deeply into preserving the Islands railway heritage but the cash has to come from somewhere. I never thought I would see a Deltic day on the Bluebell but it happened and very successful it was to. We must evolve to preserve what we have, yet not lose sight of our aims. The 33 will only be there for a short time and then steam will reign supreme until next October!

30854, Romsey, cav1975 and 2 others like this.
  13. Newington

Newington New Member

Bit of an update.
    The 33 will be hauling our 4 bogie coaches . The first train from Havenstreet departs to Smallbrook at 09:30 leaving Smallbrook at 10:05 after the arrival of the Island line services. One major change is the 33 hauled train going right through to Wootton is now the 13:17 from Smallbrook (12:58 ex Havenstreet ) We think this is better than leaving it until the last rain of the day as was originally planned.Also on the Monday and Tuesday after the event the railway are offering a round trip in the cab of 33 202 for £80. Timetable was completed this morning so should be on the railway website soon.

gwalkeriow, paulhitch and 30854 like this.
  14. AnthonyTrains2017

Can't wait for this

15. Spamcan81

Training moles
    No need to explain the reasoning to me. If it brings in the punters then more power to your elbow. Sometimes you have to have a bit of fun in this game and if a Crompton floats your boat then fair enough

16. Newington

Newington New Member

Thanks for the comment, The Isle of Wight railway is a bit behind most other railways regarding diesel events. The standard day to day product is very good and there was no need to change a winning formula,however some of us realised that there is a whole new generation out there who need entertaining. The 40 somethings in the 1970-80s who recall everyday steam have moved on one way or another and I think there is a market for those of us who grew up during the BR blue era.Maybe we are now the ones with disposable income for a visit to a railway. Just my thoughts not the railways!
    We are still awaiting confirmation of the transport arrangements. The railways loading gauge is very restrictive so 33/2 seems ideal. The visit will be short looks like it may be departing on Tuesday night as it going to another railway.

17. Spamcan81

Training moles
    Those of us who remember steam pre-1968 are retired/coming up to retirement probably have more disposable income than 30/40 years ago. Mortgage paid, kids have long flown the nest and loads of spare time in which to enjoy ourselves. That certainly seems to be the case with main line tours with "senior citizens" making up a fair percentage of the passengers.
    If it was up to me, I'd picket the ferry terminal and prevent the 33 from crossing the Solent but it's not my railway so not my call.

18. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    You horrible man you! I really think this is great, some of us couldn't quite believe it that 3 migrated north of the border to Aberdeen 15 or so years ago, for one to cross the Solent, well for a loco type nearly 60 years old to break new ground, thats rather wonderful. I just hope it's well supported.

19. Newington

Newington New Member

The timetable is now on the website, go to events then Diesel gala. The loco is due to come over on Wednesday 28th . High tide is at 1700 so the movement will be around that time. This has not been confirmed yet as there is a new trailer coming into the country that may make the move much easier. Just hope the weather holds for the Gala!

30854 likes this.
  20. AnthonyTrains2017

Good luck on what will be fantastic gala