If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Isle of Wight Steam Railway Diesel gala 2017

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Newington, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Really hope this goes well for you @Newington. Bloody Hell! A 33 on the Isle of Wight! :eek::Saywhat:

gwalkeriow likes this.
  2. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
  3. cav1975

cav1975 Member

4. 30854

Retired
    So there is a difference with the mobile version! (The first link was posted from my android). Must be weird for staff hearing a Slim Jim growling off up the line to Wooton.

Pointless speculation of the evening: Wonder if they'd have been rostered for 'The Tourist' if history had been kinder to the Island network?

5. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Pointless speculation of course, but a small sub group such as the 33-2 if the tunnels on the Hastings line been singled sooner and there had been no electrification on the island, with the main routes being open, but my money would have been on Hastings DEMUS WITH 33-2 on works and freight .

30854 likes this.
  6. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

The thought had occurred to me but whether the pier and the Newport bridge would stand the weight of this equipment is uncertain. Esplanade curve is a bit of a "killer" as well.

Both the 33-2s and the DEMUs were itemsof some capital value. The fact has to be faced that for most of the C20th. the IOW system was a money pit and so it remains.

Paul H

30854 and nine elms fan like this.
  7. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

i thought the 6S were short underframe versions , So may well have been an possible option if that was ever an option it would be far to expensive to ship over the hastings unit to find out

8. 30854

Retired
    ....as indeed most of it was for the last 38 years of the 19th century!
    Aah.... freight.... Guess that would still have been toast even if passenger numbers had been higher. So that's just 1 or 2 'Slim Jims' then.

Assuming for a moment Paul isn't as correct as I suspect he is about Ryde Pier and Newort Bridge (better add Calbourne and Mill Pond Viaducts to the list too), the idea of "cut & shut" Hastings DEMU stock (to clear curves) has an odd appeal!! It'd make for a great railway modelling "What If?". One for a different forum though!

gwalkeriow likes this.
  9. AnthonyTrains2017

AnthonyTrains2017 Well-Known Member

Made plans to visit 2moro but shame that first train from smallbrook misses connections on island line being that they don't stop. Was really looking forward to see the 33 aswell

10. 30854

Retired
    Quite a few Sunday buses. Hope this helps:
    http://islandbuses.info/servicelisting.shtml

11. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

If you do go by bus there are two variants of service 9 (Ryde-Newport). It is the one going via Staplers which serves Wootton station. The service advertised via Fairlee leaves you with a fair walk.

PH

30854 likes this.
  12. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

Correct me if I'm wrong but the timetable below shows Island Line services calling at 9:53 (Up) and 9:58 (Down), connecting with the first IWSR departure at 10:05 - I gather extra stops at Smallbrook are arranged locally, so won't show up on national timetables and journey planners.

http://www.iwsteamrailway.co.uk/files/documents/final-diesel-gala-wtt-sept-2017pdf.pdf

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
  13. Newington

Newington New Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Sad it is all over! Finished gauging at 09:20 on Friday morning. First train out just after 09:30 a close run thing you bet. Thanks for the support.Shame about the weather on Sunday, think that put a lot of people off. some good contacts made .Planning 2018 has already started ! Massive thanks to Stewart and his team for going above and beyond the call of duty and to All the staff on duty at the railway for making this happen. Some times its not about the money!

14. burmister

burmister Member

Thank you and all at the railway for making me very very welcome yesterday, I had a most enjoyable day and listening to the LDA rumble at full revs under the long skew bridge was good. The 05 was an 'indescribable' experience as well.

Weather was bit grim in the afternoon but I thought numbers were good considering the fairly dire forecasts for the day when people were planning the weekend. I noticed a fair number of passengers were 'normals' so hopefully you met your targets, the event must have boosted your numbers and the local economy in the off peak season when travel, restaurants, accommodation and ferries are factored in. I travelled on the St Clare both ways yesterday in the evening it was full but use of the high low ramps now make loading and unloading very quick, the Sulzer derived engines make a nice burble. Fishbourne departure to Chichester arrival in under one hour is good going, actual crossing time under way was under 30mins.

Brian

15. Newington

Newington New Member

Brian,
    Thanks for your help and we look forward to next years event The number crunching has not been done yet, so I hope for the best.
    Glad you enjoyed Fred, he has gone away now whilst we steady our nerves. He is not for the faint hearted, The saying is Fred is in charge! Have to come down and see you on your line one day.

paulhitch likes this.
  16. cav1975

cav1975 Member

From the webcam just now:-
    upload_2017-10-3_11-28-45.png

paulhitch and 30854 like this.
  17. AnthonyTrains2017

AnthonyTrains2017 Well-Known Member

Sadly I couldn't make it to the railway on planned Sunday Having been stuck down with a virus on Sunday morning, it was in bed I remained. I did see the 33 at smallbrook junction on Saturday. while passing on a island train to Ryde. Disappointed to have missed it, but well done to the railway. Hope it builds on the success.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  18. JS Rail Videos

JS Rail Videos New Member

Here's my offerings from a brilliant day on Friday. Full credit goes to everyone involved in making this event possible, I have to say it was strange to see a mainline diesel hauling the bogies! Must've turned a few heads in Portsmouth as well. Great to see the trains were well patronised as well!

Enjoy!

paulhitch and 30854 like this.
  19. Newington

Newington New Member

J.S
    Watching that made all the effort, struggle and frustration worthwhile. A superb video. Will it be available commercially? If not it should be! It captures the very essence of the event. It can be told now 33 202 had a slight fault could have been an injector or the load regulator either way the diesel engine revved up to full but traction power was low. Great for us who like the sound. Credit to Stewart and his team every evening after service they back in that engine room trying to sort it. That's why 202 sounded like it was on full bore all the time, however on this occasion noise did not equal speed! good though wasn't it!

20. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

Alan,

It sounds a bit like those audio devices fitted, so I gather, to certain motor cars to make them sound "sportier" than they are! This year will be a hard act to follow.

Paul