If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Isle of Wight Steam Railway Loco updates

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by gwalkeriow, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Islander

Islander Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The latest edition of Locomotive Operating News has now been published on the IWSR site. It covers all of the high season period, which this year extended up to the middle of September, link below.

This year the railway ran for 83 consecutive days between June and September, of which 42 required a 2-train service. A far cry from the 70s and 80s when the July/August high season running was Sunday (first train 10.30) and Thursday afternoon - can't remember the first train time but it was after we had eaten our sausage and chips! We did actually run for a whole week leading up to the August Bank Holiday Steam Show, we really thought we were running a proper railway then!

http://www.iwsteamrailway.co.uk/news/locomotive-operating-news-november-2014-146.aspx

2. gwalkeriow

gwalkeriow Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Excellent update Tony, even I didn't realise that we only have 14 Drivers! How on earth all the turns are covered amazes me :)

3. Islander

Islander Member

I've just done a quick recount and can't get the number any higher!

4. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Only 14 drivers is staggering! I wonder how that compares with other railways who mount similar operations?

5. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Don't know about similar operations but I've just checked and the NYMR currently has 49 steam drivers to cover 4-6 turns/day. It's no easy task!

6. Islander

Islander Member

The latest Locomotive Engineering News has just been published on the IWSR Website. Barclay 0-6-0T has now finished its 10-year boiler ticket and is out of service. The boiler for WD198 'Royal Engineer' is now out of the frames and awaiting final assessment of the repair work needed, 198 was withdrawn from service early in the 2014 season after developing a steam leak on the outer firebox. Work continues on the fitting out of Ivatt 41298, the installation of a Westinghouse brake system remains the most significant outstanding job.

All things being equal, the IWSR will start the next season with W24, W8, W11 and WD192 fit for service.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  7. kieranhardy

kieranhardy Well-Known Member

I gather you mean WD192 not WD198! ;)

8. Islander

Islander Member

9. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    As someone keen to photograph both Terriers in action is there any dates currently known when such will happen ? As I am currently trying to organise "holidays" for 2015 a known date might swing particular venues before too many plans are made and confirmed.

10. Islander

Islander Member

I can't help with that detail at this stage, I've had a look at the IWSR website events page and nothing stands out that would require two Terriers in service together. If Ivatt 41298 enters traffic this year I am guessing that there might be some sort of special event, but its not in the calendar yet.

If loco availability is as I suggest above, whenever there is a Red timetable day (two trains) there will be at least one Island engine in service. W24 or the Austerity will normally be on duty one (bogie set) and a Terrier on duty two (4 wheelers). That is the general plan, although sometimes things get a bit mixed up due to washout and maintenance requirements, and also availability of carriages; last year we were down to three bogie coaches, so mixed bogie and 4-wheel trains were operated. last year I had a few Austerity days on the 4-wheel set (only 4 vehicles as the others were strengthening the bogie set, train weighs less than the engine!) with W24 on the bogies.

Its unlikely that two Terriers will be out together on a normal Red day, a Terrier is limited to 3 bogies wheras the O2 or Austerity can take the full five-coach set. Red days are when it is predicted that the railway will be busy, so any reduction in set availablity is to be avoided. I think we did have a two Terrier day at least once last year, that was down to nescessity rather than pre-planning.

11. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    Thanks for the reply - last year was a special event day when a Terrier was on freight duty and t'other on passenger but I was unable to visit due to to time factors (viz I hadn't got enough available !) hence was looking to visit this year.

12. Avonside1563

Avonside1563 Well-Known Member

Bolton's Sidings, just behind the running shed!
    I've noticed that Ajax has an extended stop fitted to the regulator handle to prevent it being opened too far. I wondered why this was done and if any of the other Island locos are so fitted?

13. Islander

Islander Member

No need for big valve on Ajax! Big cylinders, small wheels, very powerful - 1st valve is more than enough for our purposes. I think there were issues with the regulator valve persistently blowing by and it was a means of overcoming it.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
    Avonside1563 likes this.
  14. Islander

Islander Member

There is a report on Ajax in the last edition of Locomotive Operating News on the IWSR website which adds a little more context to my last post.

15. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    An interesting read. I was surprised to see the photo of Ajax shunting in the 'train Story' building and get the impression it is a regular happening. Doesn't that create problems with the steam in the modern building as there doesn't appear to be any vents?
    Also surprised at the small number of footplate crews that you have to operate with and run on about 200 days/year and (I reckon) some 275 turns, assuming you don't have split shifts. You must have some busy volunteers!

16. Islander

Islander Member

No problems experienced with steam or smoke in train story so far. We are usually in and out fairly quickly and there is a set time that the building has to be manned following such a visit, I don't know if the doors have to remain open during that time although it would make sense.

As far as footplate turns go, there are only a few split shift days, when trains run on into the evening. Generally it's book on at 0730hrs and book off between 1630hrs and 1730hrs, depending on the duty. The crew prepare, work and dispose of their engine on the majority of duties.

17. Islander

Islander Member

The latest edition of Locomotive Operating News is now on the IWSR website. There's a summary of winter operations, a look forward to the 2015 operating season (starts 15th March) and details of an upgrade to the Enginemen's changing facilities.

It seems that we will be starting the season with W11, W24 and WD192 available for service. W8 needs a new set of tubes and will hopefully be available later on in the year.

18. pete12000

pete12000 Member

The Locomotive Operating News above mentions "There remains the possibility of Ivatt 41298 coming on stream later on."

If, there's a launch event planned I'm keen to visit........ a bit more patience required I think, I'm saving a couple of days holiday from work in the hope of something happening this year....?

19. Islander

Islander Member

Work on 41298 is ongoing, the installation of the braking system remains the most significant work package to complete. No date is being set for a return to service, I am sure that all will become clearer as the year progresses.

20. pete12000

pete12000 Member

There's a mention in the new Heritage Railway of 41298 working a private charter in October, hopefully there may be an opportunity for us all to visit and take a ride this year?