If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Issue 125

Discussion in 'Heritage Railway' started by Swan Age, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Rumpole

Rumpole Part of the furniture

Tea-Maker
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Now presuming you are referring to Swanage and the end of Southern steam galas, I got the impression Chris was referring to a completely different railway in the south of England, one which could be seen as more 'central' (division).

Am I correct?

2. cct man

cct man Part of the furniture

CONSTRUCTION
    Very observant of you Mr Rumpole, and yes you are correct.

Regards
    Chris

3. buzby2

buzby2 Well-Known Member

Mr Stevens, Even if your supposition about cct man's posting had been correct then HR would have been somewhat stupid in not maximising it's revenue by supporting a different gala that occurred on the same weekend "....after their publishing rivals SR threw their weight behind.......". It would be a publishing miracle if all magazines supported the same gala. Positive coverage usually means plenty of new, or newsworthy, events/occurrences. "Favouritism" can move around and, certainly, should not be relied upon for consistent reporting. However, from the tone of your posting, as you like SR supporting MHR galas but don't seem to like HR supporting other galas I presume you won't be taking out an HR subscription any time soon :-k

4. Swan Age

Swan Age Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Peter, i have no problem HR supporting another railways gala at all.

It was just that at the time that the two events were planned, the MHR`s gala was publicly announced earlier than the Swanage Rly event, albeit if my memory serves me correct only slightly. What came across to me was that HR were trying a classic "Spoiler" by giving lots of attention to the Swanage event and hardly mentioning the MHR event.

However in the end both railways gala`s complemented each others rather well and both mags covered their respective supported event in detail, even giving a bit of coverage to their rivals too.

For the record, when Nigel Harris was at the helm of SR, i thought it was too pro GCR and not giving an even coverage of the whole preservation movement. Now under Danny Hopkins things are a little better.

I used to have a subscription with SR but cancelled it, as supporting my local newsagent is more worthwhile.

You are correct in me not taking out a HR subcription, however not because of any percieved bias, more to do with my other reason. I have bought every issue from no1 onwards although sometimes i do wonder why!

Diesel Preservation news seems to have shrunk to miniscule proportions, and thats one of the things that used to mark it out from SR.

5. Rumpole

Rumpole Part of the furniture

Tea-Maker
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Not strictly true. At the time of first considering the gala and putting initial feelers out to loco owners/press the SR were told that the MHR were not planning a serious gala for the event. The SR's initial publicity was considerably earlier than the MHR's, which only seemed to take off once the magazine became involved.

But that's simply a correction, I don't want to rake over the pages of waffle that ensued.
    Agreed. :smt002