If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Ivor the Engine

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by David R, Dec 23, 2015.

1. David R

David R Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    With the growth of Thomas I'd almost forgotten about Ivor the Engine

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-famous-children-s-favourite-Ivor-Engine.html

Interesting - especcially if you have follwed the recent sereis on TV about preserving Britain's Landmarks (the work of the Landmark Trust)

David R

2. MrC

MrC New Member

I read this article and I had always thought Ivor was standard gauge. Doesn't he go for a run out on the mainline when he needs repairing?

Wenlock likes this.
  3. Miff

Miff Part of the furniture Friend

The Merioneth & Llantisily Rail Traction Co. (address: 'somewhere in the top left-hand corner of Wales') have always asserted they use the Rain Gauge - which is Standard for that part of Wales.

4. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

I also assumed him to be standard gauge, although the top left hand corner of Wales does have, I understand, other gauges .
    I never heard him associated with the Festiniog before.

5. Selsig

Selsig Member

I believe the Merioneth and Llantisilly Rail Traction Co. have a station at Tan-y-Gwlch, which is quite a giveaway...

John

6. 6024KEI

6024KEI Member

Its nice to see the cottage being done up - just have to hope it attracts enough custom to cover its ongoing costs. It does sound from the Landmark Trust website as though the railway are willing to support it by providing transport for guests with their luggage - and there is a car parking space 10 minutes walk away so its not totally cut off.

My kids have the whole collection on DVD and still get it out occasionally whereas the Thomas stuff has long since been forgotten.

7. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

A bit OT I know, but Oliver Postgate was responsible successively for Ivor the Engine, The Clangers and Bagpuss - what a stupendous legacy to have left the world! If you ever get the chance, and want to hear that wonderfully soothing voice afresh, try and catch "Elastic Planet" when it gets its periodic repeats on 4 Extra.

Tom

Anthony Coulls likes this.
  8. johnnew

johnnew Member

PRO The Stephenson Locomotive Soc.
    They bring a crane from Pontypool Roads in at least one episode when something derails. However it is fictional so anything goes, I read it to my kids and now my daughter does the same to the grandchildren. More homely than Thomas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. 6024KEI

6024KEI Member

Going off topic again - the "Peter's Railway" series are a good addition to the kids railway book scene - mix of smaller books which are just short stories and the bigger books which mix a story with engineering/technical detail on how various things work. Got mine from Didcot but I suspect they are around elsewhere as well.

Wenlock and johnnew like this.
  10. MrC

MrC New Member

I always thought the idea of Dragon fired Fish and Chips was great. Must get the video back of my nephew.