If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

James Manson locomotives of the G&SWR

Discussion in 'Photography' started by neildimmer, Oct 22, 2020.

1. neildimmer

neildimmer Resident of Nat Pres

Locomotives of the Scottish Pre Grouping companies
    I have added a lot of photos of various 4-4-0 locos from James Manson of the G&SWR

Classes include 8, 11, 194 & 280

Over 65 photos start here
    78 at Gretna
    https://tinyurl.com/yxsk7ooy
    Neil

2. bluetrain

bluetrain Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    By "Class 280", did you mean to refer to "Class 240"?

A good album of some very attractive but long-vanished engine types. It is a complex job to sort out which GSWR engines belong to which classes, due to successive rebuilding and renumbering, particularly the full fleet renumbering initiated by Whitelegg in 1919, shortly followed by another fleet renumbering by the LMS.

You've provided a good selection of the Manson 4-4-0 classes - the 6ft 9½in Classes 8, 240 & 18 plus the 6ft 1¼in of Class 336.

I do wonder, though, whether Photo 9 and Photos 31-34 should be in another folder dealing with James Stirling engines. These are survivors of Stirling's Class 6 of 7ft 1in 4-4-0s, originally built in the 1870s and either "rebuilt" or "renewed" (according to different sources) by Manson in 1899-1901. They acquired Manson cabs and a couple (as in Photo 30) received Manson domed boilers, but most retained Stirling domeless boilers (Photos 9 & 32-34).

Photo 1 is interesting. A GSWR engine hauling what appear to be LNWR coaches. Perhaps an excursion train?