If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Just supposing.......

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Eightpot, Feb 28, 2009.

1. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

In their defence, diodn't Drapers save 45305 ?.

2. Thompson1706

Thompson1706 Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Some of the early plunderers would have stashes of LMS & LNER parts instead of the stashes of GWR & SR parts preventing B1's & Black Fives from being restored - instead of Bulleid pacifics & various GWR classes.

Bob.

3. GeoffS75

GeoffS75 Member

There is also 7229 at ELR.

I think the original poster is referring to the BR Standard Clans 72000 not the GWR tanks.

4. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

7229 at Bury.

5. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Yes Thanks
    It would be nice to see how a Clan compares to Brit and a Standard class 5? I know that BR were considering building another batch for the Southern region and I have read that crews didn’t like Clans because of their poor performance. But saying all that it’s still a missing gap in BR Standards and hopefully this should be fixed when Clan Hengist is built. Just a shame that the NRM didn't preserve one.

6. hassell_a

hassell_a Member

Some of this was 'plundering', but in the early 1970's parts were allowed to be legitiamtley removed from unreserved engines to replace bits that had often been gas axed off by BR after withdrawal.

There's a good bit from here: http://www.greatwestern.org.uk/barry2.htm

7. Thompson1706

Thompson1706 Part of the furniture

Retired
    When I referred to plundering I meant groups who stripped multiple sets of motion etc. (one group notably who hadn't even bought a loco from the yard !) . I know that many groups took the odd bit from locos- tenders & things like that , but some supposedly reputable railways just helped themselves, to the detriment of others.
    How many sets of rods would a Bulleid pacific go through in say 50 years of preservation.

Bob.

8. arthur maunsell

arthur maunsell Well-Known Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    ah we are wandering from the path a bit now....theres another tiopic disussing (quite correctly) this issue.

Personally I dont think the preservation boom would have been half as strong without the huge public nostalgia that exists for the GWR. I think it was this that a lot of the early outfits built on enabling others to follow.Ergo, no available GWR locos, then many fewer sites than we have now.

9. Columbine

Columbine Member

So was Woodhams.

And it is true that he saved the Black 5 but then it was named after him! Bit of a cheek especially after he scrapped 'Ayreshire Yeomanry' and 'Lanarkshire Yeomanry'. If he had more discrimination he would have put an A3, V2, K1 to 3 to one side and perhaps a number of others of the 700 plus locos he cut up. The preservation movement would have been a lot richer for them. Dai Woodham could do it, so could the Alderman.

Regards

10. saltydog

saltydog Part of the furniture

Retired
    Don't forget the real reason so many were rescued from Barry was because Dai Woodham after laying out a lot of money buying the engines and wagons, decided he needed a quick return on his outlay.
    So he made the decision to cut up the thousands of wagons first as they would be done a lot quicker than the engines.
    Also don't forget that one of the original conditions laid down by BR was that none of the accquistions could be sold on.
    So he certainly didn't buy the engines with a view to selling them on to preservationists.
    Also I seem to remember seeing an interview with him where he said he had no real feeling for steam untill "all these loonies" started turning up at his yard and he realised that he had something a bit more special on his books than a few thousand tons of scrap.

11. Columbine

Columbine Member

Everything you say is true or true-ish but it still grates that Draper has his name on 45305! The bloke just didn't and doesn't deserve the accolade

There are, I believe, 18 (?) Black 5 engines in preservation, but notwithstanding the fact that it is always good to see one I would still swap 45305 for a K3 or a Midland 3F or any number of other loco types that didn't survive into preservation.

Regards

12. Martin Perry

You seem to blame Albert Draper for running a reasonably efficient business - and at the end of the day he did contribute more to preservation than all the other big scrap processors.
    Wasn't the name on 5305 suggested by HLPG rather than by the Draper family?

13. Columbine

Columbine Member

It may well be that the name on 45305 was suggested by the HLPG but no matter who suggested it I feel that he didn't deserve it.

I'm quite at a loss to understand how Draper contributed to preservation with him scrapping over 700 engines and just saving one apparently as a memorial to himself! Big deal! ](*,)

I find the suggestion that he did make a contribution to be, with respect, perverse; as is the implication that Dai Woodham didn't contribute to preservation, with all the engines around the country standing as a testimony to the fact that he did, which is why after all he got his MBE (?or OBE, not sure?). =D> =D>

Sorry but I really don't understand where you're coming from.

Regards

14. saltydog

saltydog Part of the furniture

Retired
    Columbine.
    In my earlier post I wasn't trying to imply that Dai Woodham didn't contribute hugely to the preservation
    movement. Just that it wasn't entirely altruistic, after all he did sell the locos at roughly the going scrap
    rate, and after all if he sold an engine he got the same price as he would have done if he had cut it up
    and he didn't have to pay his men wages for doing it or the cost of getting the cut up scrap out of his yard.

15. Martin Perry

I don't think it was named until after he had died. I don't imagine that he was planning that far ahead!
    I was not implying that Woodhams did not make a contribution (although they didn't actually 'give' much to preservation, apart from donating 5553 to Barry town as a static exhibit) The point I am making is that Drapers did more than Cashmores, Kings, Motherwell Machinery & Scrap, Birds, Buttigiegs, Wards and the other BIG scrap businessess did for preservation.

16. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Consider it from a modern view point...

the last few years has seen oodles of Mark 1 EMU slam door stock withdrawn and scrapped...no one has shed a tear.
    There are only a handful of units left..

Now if one yard had 50+ unit's in it.. will we still think the same way in 10 years or will there be an out and out movement to preserve them ?.. and will the yard owner be a hero or a villain then ?

17. Columbine

Columbine Member

Now I understand your point! Sorry to be so dim. Thanks for the discussion, can we agree to disagree?

Best Wishes

18. Martin Perry