If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Keep your eye open......

Discussion in 'Railwayana' started by osprey, Jul 17, 2013.

1. osprey

osprey Resident of Nat Pres

semi-retired, currently doing R&D for my patents
    Forget the Railwayana auctions and Fleabay.......look at small local auctions.....it' surprising what's about........got these yesterday for just short of £50.00

1)LNER Locomotiveman's Pocket Book 1944.....very informative diagrams too
    2)LNER Rule Book 1933 mint....
    3)LNER Engineers Department Additional Instructions 1937
    4)LNER Engineer's Catalogue of Materials Concrete Articles 1947.....fabulous, made up index of all things concrete complete with dimensioned drawings including platforms, huts etc........
    5)GWR 1945 Instructions for signalling trains during fog or falling snow and arrangements in frosty weather ....gives details of all distant signals where Fogsignalmen were not provided
    6)GWR 1915 Synopsis of Course of Instruction, safe working of railways for students of the signalling classes......includes details of slip working.....and pull out section showing all GWR signals including a three position one...new to me.

Not got to read them all in detail yet, but looks very interesting winter nights stuff.....

2. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Agreed, I keep an eye on our two local auction houses, sometimes interesting stuff appears. Unfortunately others keep a watch as well, recently a selection of railway books went for over £100.

3. andrewtoplis

andrewtoplis Well-Known Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Ebay is not too bad for similar things, I picked up two similar things a while ago for about the same price per book.

4. 46223

46223 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

No I do not currently volunteer
    Wasn't there a case a while ago when an auction house somewhere described a lot as 'a sign' and it turned out to be an
    A3 nameplate?

5. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

In my opinion it is worth having a hunt round the far corners of the fund raising shops you find on heritage railways. Just now and then something good comes to light.
    Recent finds were a David & Charles 1960's reprint of a Victorian classic, Acworth: "Railways of England," and an Ian Allen tome by G Freeman Allen entitled "British Railways after Beeching". Both were sat in a junk box, in scruffy protective covers which when cut away revealed the actual dust jacket in mint condition, and very clean text pages.

6. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I go for a browse around the Erlestoke Manor Fund's shop at Bewdley whenever I'm up there. There's some very decent books available and all at half-price at the moment.

7. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

Yes agreed. Earlier this year picked up the part 2 of "Cambrian Railways", by Christiansen and Miller, which unlike part 1 is as rare as hen's teeth.