If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Kingfisher cancellations

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by 1C watcher, Sep 10, 2008.

1. 60124Kenilworth

60124Kenilworth New Member

](*,) I still haven't managed any further contact with Kingfisher regarding my £372 despite several e-mails and letters,unfortunately for me I paid via debit card so my chances of seeing any money now seem remote.

2. Victor

Victor Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Retired
    i haven't been following this saga for some time, but if they are still trading, send them a County Court Summons. If they have ceased trading, you will most likely have to write it off, don't bother with the summons. Ask for advice at your local County Court.

3. saltydog

saltydog Part of the furniture

Retired
    If ALL other avenues have been tried and failed then this is probably the only way of getting recompense.
    When I used this service a couple of years ago just the issue of the summons was enough to get my money back.
    http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/info ... /index.htm

4. 60124Kenilworth

Thanks for the advice chaps,as far as I know they are still trading but that may be just the publications side,anyway I will look into my options.

5. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    As long as it's the same company, you can sue for the debt even if they are not doing railtours any more. I'd do a company search against the name - you can get basic details free on line from Companies House, but you have to pay if you want more details. If the company is in process of winding up/ liquidation, think hard about suing - you could be throwing good money after bad. You'd just be an unsecured creditor and they generally get little or nothing as accountants and secured creditors (banks etc) take priority.

Advice given in good faith and without liability.

John

6. blackfive

blackfive Member

If it was a Visa debit card don't give up hope, all may not be lost. See this item.

7. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

No I do not currently volunteer
    If you go to

http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk/f5528 ... ompanyInfo

You can at least check for free whether the company is still trading, disolved, liquidated etc. Not sure if this will help?

8. 60124Kenilworth

9. 60124Kenilworth

Thanks 4707 and others for the further advice,I'll certainly look into these threads.
    Alan.

10. dp266

dp266 Member Account Suspended

Project Management
    Now if your account happened to be overdrawn by agreement at that time, I understand that you are still covered by the Consumer Credit Act. You have "borrowed" the money through a formal loan arrangement with your bank. They then have joint and several liability. Who says an overdraft is a bad thing???

11. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional
    From Sept 12th last year to avoid wasting further time and bandwidth

12. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

Exactly, if you take money for a service, and then neither deliver give the money back - is it any better than simple theft.

In terms of Kingfisher, I notice from the website etc that there is no listing of Company Number etc, but is that listed on any receipts letters received?

13. James

James Part of the furniture

My receipt came from Kingfisher Productions at their Weymouth address.

14. Guest

Occasional
    May I try again

Only a legal entity, a person or a company actually files accounts

Such a company or person can "Trade as" anything - but only the legal persona takes your money

So - Kingfisher Productions may have taken your money, but it will have been banked to the account of Hardingham, or Wessex Trains Ltd or some other company owned by him, albeit in the name of Kingfisher Productions. I don't believe Hardingham would run a business with the downside potential of a railtour company without Limited status protection - but his paperwork was decidedly vague on this aspect.

To file a claim you need to untangle the web as there is no legal entity called Kingfisher Productions registered at Companies House - so nowhere to lay a claim.

Did you pay by credit card? - because if you didn't it is very probably not worth making a legal claim, and if we are talking about a receivership or administration you are probably so far down the creditors list that you are down for nothing anyway.

Sorry - but that's how company law works - you need to know who you are paying from the outset and protect yourself accordingly.

15. dp266

dp266 Member Account Suspended

Project Management
    Maybe the legal application should be directed at the named owner trading as Kingfisher Railtours. This actually becomes a personal liability for the owner as he is not protected by limited liability.

16. Stepney32655

Stepney32655 New Member Account Suspended

Grave-digger
    NO CONNECTION WITH KINGFISHER !!

The troubles that apparently continue to plague the Hellifield-based Kingfisher Railtours are regrettably creating a knock-on effect that is likely to influence potential customers to other non-related aspects of the operation of the superbly-restored former Midland Railway station and the trains serving it.

It has, for example, gone not entirely un-noticed by visitors that the ‘Long Drag' cafe continues to remain open seven days a week, from 9am to 4pm and, between which times, its excellent breakfasts, lunches and teas are still available.

Furthermore, the monthly Friday evening slide-show events also continue to take place in the tea-rooms. These consistently well-attended meetings are organised by local enthusiasts who, clearly, have no connection whatsoever with the Kingfisher organisation. As regularly occurs at the similarly-themed Stalybridge Station events, the Hellifield group have merely taken the opportunity to avail themselves of the excellent facilities on offer in the station buildings.

Although maintaining no particular personal connection, I feel it important that others are made aware that some members of the group do appear to be instrumental in organising a first foray into the railtour market - this under the new ‘HF Railtours’ banner with a rather attractive steam special that will start out from Hellifield.

Indeed, during a discussion a few days ago, one member went to great pains to emphasise to me that 'HFR' is totally unrelated to any aspect of the Kingfisher organisation and, furthermore, that anything they do organise will be quite unaffected by the fortunes, or otherwise, of the latter. Naturally, my colleague's major concern was that the unfortunate Hellifield ‘connection’ might unduly deter prospective passengers and he felt that the situation did need clarifying.

On Sunday 17th May 2009, "The Settle-Carlisle Express" will depart from Hellifield for Carlisle at around 10-00hrs, headed by Jubilee 5X 4-6-0 No 5690 “Leander” and will return via the same route to arrive back at around 17-00hrs.

Fares will be Premier Dining £125 (adult & child), First Class £89 (adult) £59 (child) and Standard Class £59 (adult) £35 (child).

In this particular instance, the well-respected “Spitfire Railtours” are acting as principal booking agents on behalf of ‘HF Railtours’. For further details go to:
    http://www.spitfirerailtours.co.uk/Future tours2.htm#The Settle Carlisle Express

17. Guest

Occasional
    No they aren't Alan - breakfast is not available after 12.00 - nor was my wallet!

I appreciate helping to keep this splendid restoration going - but it does work two ways.

The better the customer offer, the more I would head in there when in the Dales

18. Stepney32655

Stepney32655 New Member Account Suspended

Grave-digger
    The place itself might well be a rip-off price-wise, Frank, but, having never partaken of its facilities, I couldn't honestly comment upon that aspect. (It's never open on the rare occasions that I visit the station!). However, my own wallet having suffered as a consequence of astronomical prices being asked within similar catering facilities on one or two of our preserved railways that I could mention, I will accept your proffered view that it might well qualify for such a description!

Nevertheless, doubtless, if a topic on those lines HAD been my intent, such would probably have caused more than one individual to jump to the defence of their own particular establishment, but, although I concede that such a matter in general might well deserve more exposure, the initial intention of my own particular posting was in respect of nothing whatsoever to do with the Hellifield 'Long Drag' café, or with its operation.

I was, in actual fact, merely attempting to bring to the attention of any potential railtour customers out there details of what I feel is a currently under-publicised excursion over the S&C that will, in fact, produce the rare opportunity to be hauled by a Jubilee 4-6-0 in both directions over the line.

Being personally acquainted with one of the team involved in the organisation of this particular outing, I am well aware of that person's concerns over the chances of sufficient bookings being received, to make the trip viable, potentially being somewhat blighted as a consequence of after-effects of the historically appalling manner in which some customers of the Hellifield-based "Kingfisher Railtours" had been treated ... EVEN THOUGH, as my colleague does take great pains to emphasise, the ONLY connection that "HR Railtours" maintains with "Kingfisher" is a common departure point for its trains.

If bookings for the 17th May trip are sufficiently encouraging, I am advised that the intention is to repeat the exercise on a more regular basis. The message that I have been asked to convey, therefore, is ... support it ... or lose it!

http://www.spitfirerailtours.co.uk/Future%20tours2.htm#The%20Settle%20Carlisle%20Express

P.S. You, Frank, being quite the only person whom I have ever known who has actually ordered an Indian take-away by phone ... whilst still sat in a railway slide-show, I can quite imagine that gastronomic delights might play a significant part in your life, but, dear friend, I am, nevertheless, equally forced to observe that not many people at all will have a particular desire to partake of breakfast after 12.00!

19. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Strange thing to say considering the number of eating establishments that offer the 'All Day Breakfast'. :-k

20. 5596

5596 Member Account Suspended

Quick - VFM - convenient - keeps the inner man going for the rest of the day.

I don't think there was any comment about price - merely availability, as is so typical of UK tourist areas, and no comment at all about 5690's intended tour, which as you say is a three cylinder roar right where one should be!

Colin's is a chinese in Mossley by the way, and the little sod must have a picture in the attic. He looks no different now than he did in 1985!