If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Kirklees Light Railway 6th Annual Gala 10th and 11th September 2011

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Antwerp the great, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Antwerp the great

Antwerp the great New Member

Press Release – Steam Gala “A Bouquet of Steam – A Celebration of Festival and Exhibition Locomotives”

The Friends of the Kirklees Light Railway will be holding their 6th Annual Steam Gala over the weekend of the 10th and 11th September 2011. The event which is entitled A Bouquet of Steam will feature a number of visiting engines all of which have connections with exhibitions and festivals which have been held throughout the world during the 20th Century.

The cast of visiting engines includes (all subject to availability)

RH&DR No. 11 Black Prince from the Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch Railway
    Cagney No.44 from the Rhyl Miniature Railway
    Peruvian Cagney from its Private Owners

There may be even one or two surprises too.

The visiting engines will operate alongside the home fleet of steam and diesel locomotives.

The weekend will feature an intensive timetable including half hourly full line trains, an hourly shuttle service from Clayton West and a half hourly shuttle service operating from Shelley. In addition to the trains there will be a model engineering exhibition featuring large scale models, photo displays, and a collection of vintage and classic vehicles.

Passenger services will commence at 10:00 on both days, Saturday will feature an evening train operating one return trip and departing Clayton West at 20:00. As it has become a tradition at these events, “Shelley or Bust” final departure on Sunday at 17:00 will feature as many of the locomotives as possible.

Stuart Ross of the Kirklees Light Railway said “This is a very different event for us this year; it will have a very international theme with locomotives built in Germany and the USA. Some of the engines represent a type of locomotive which paved the way for 15 inch gauge lines and have operated at some of the most celebrated trade fairs, exhibitions and festivals that certainly had an impact on the social history of the 20th Century.

Notes

• The Kirklees Light Railway is open every weekend throughout the year and daily 25th May until 4th September.
    • The Friend of the Kirklees Light Railway is the volunteer support group for the railway
    • The Kirklees Light Railway is a 3.25 mile long 15 inch gauge railway constructed on the former Lancashire and Yorkshire Railways Clayton West Branch and opened in 1991.
    • The gala weekend takes place over the 10th and 11th September 2011
    • RH&DR No.11 Black Prince was built by Krupp of Essen in 1937. It was built as one of a trio of locomotives for use as a Trade Fair in Dusseldorf where it was named Fleissig Lieschen or Busy Lizzie. After a period in storage it was acquired by the RH&DR in 1976 and renamed Black Prince. It operated at the Liverpool Garden Festival and has even been displayed at an exhibition in Japan.
    • Cagney No.44 is believed to have been constructed around 1910 and operated on various miniature railways in the United States. It was acquired and brought to the UK for restoration in 1999. Since restoration was completed in 2003 it has been based at the Rhyl Miniature Railway.
    • Peruvian Cagney is privately owned and has been loving restored by its owners following its acquisition in Peru.
    • Cagney’s built over 1900 miniature locomotives many of which were used at trade fairs and exhibitions throughout the world including exhibitions in Glasgow in 1901 and London in 1903.
    • The railway is situated at Clayton West on the A636 Wakefield to Denby Dale road, near Junctions 38 and 39 on the M1.
    • For further details contact 01484 865727
    • Visit our website www.kirkleeslightrailway.com or www.friendsofklr.co.uk

2. kesr

kesr Member

Owner
    many facts described to what could be described a bit over the top maybe....... aside from that however I am sure it will be a good weekend

3. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

Nothing over the top there - just good honest truth. There's more to 15 inch gauge than many would think!

4. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Such as what exactly?

5. kesr

kesr Member

Owner
    Just all the notes.... I may be just be pedantic (if that is correct) and wish no cause no offense.... just in previous posts it is short but sweet...

6. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I have to disagree. I knew very little about how the KLR operate until I read the informative post, the result of which I will attend their gala and spend money :)

7. Anthony Coulls

It explains the salient parts of the event and explains the significance of the locos. Not over the top at all. Standard form for a press release or similar.

8. kesr

kesr Member

Owner
    I think it is generally a great idea don't get e wrong but what i assume from previous posts was it was too long..... maybe if other people followed the same idea I could see a bigger prospect

9. Anthony Coulls

I think we agree to disagree (no bad thing). Anyhow, looks a fun event and some very historic and significant machines attending. I hope to be there, will you?

10. kesr

kesr Member

Owner
    Agreed that on this we will agree to disagree.

I am afraid I am not around for it as away and do not get back to UK till late Sunday night. I am sure that the event will be a good one and will await for what I am sure will bring many photos and many videos for others to watch

11. Swiss Toni

Swiss Toni Well-Known Member

John, I've been to a gala at the KLR and it was a great event with the friendliest people you could wish to meet, you will have a great time.

KESR...........engage brain before operating keyboard in future, or is your post count that important to you.

12. kesr

kesr Member

Owner
    I am not sure what you mean by that..... I always engage brain first as my previous posting stated that both myself and one other person are in disagreement and that we agree on is the disagreement factor. I then reply in the question of if I will be there or not by stating I will not be due to other commitments. I express the shame that I am not able to attend but money is more important than attending any gala (especially as all of my holidays are taken up by my business therefore I actually never have a holiday just a working trip).

As for my post count, I am not in the slightest giving a beep to it.

I have also posted on a previous thread that in all of the reviews I have had that KLR are always to be found to be great both in friendliness and in professionalism.

13. Antwerp the great

Antwerp the great New Member

Well most of the visiting engines are here now, they have been tested and round the system. The MASSIVE Krupp pacific sounds most impressive on the bank. Its all shaping up to be a good weekend. The first train is at 09:40 each morning featuring a trio of internal combustion locomotives and the 30 minute service begins at 10:00.