If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

KWVR February Steam Gala

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by conireland, Nov 2, 2009.

1. blackfive

blackfive Member

Good day yesterday.
    I was particularly pleased to be able to be at Oakworth for the pick-up (thanks Kieran!), made a real change seeing something like that but the really impressive thing about yesterday wasn't that or the N2 (although it did look good on those teaks).
    I made a point of being down at Keighley for Nunlow expecting a bit of drama as it took five away. Drama? It just walked away with them! I've seen far bigger locos make far more fuss.
    Hope the rest of the weekend goes just as well.

2. acw71000

acw71000 Member Friend

3. Locknut

Locknut New Member

Great Video. Well positioned, steady good quality pictures and sound - love the WD clanking just after it passes!
    I'm pleased with the shots of 80002 on the express through Oakworth - I was trying to make a decent noise without going too fast. Having six on helps :)

Chris

4. Alberta 45562

Alberta 45562 Part of the furniture

Train Simulator Developer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
  5. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional
    Nunlow was built for delivering rafts of loaded cement wagons from Earles Cement works along the private branch to the sidings on the Hope Valley line.

"Shunter"is not an apt description, and four vintage coaches is no match for around 300 tons behind the bunker.

The only thing that is noticeable is the considerable fore and aft sway from her unbalanced motion

I did not realise until I got home that Friday was the only day that the N2 was coupled to the vintage train - what a shame for those who have to work five days!

6. Alberta 45562

Alberta 45562 Part of the furniture

Train Simulator Developer
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I'm not exactly high up on industrial knowledge it has to be said,but its hardly a bloody A4!

7. Guest

Occasional
    The trick is to know your subject.

Its around forty years ago that I first got to grips with that little beast

I can agree with you as to the A4 bit - those little wheels would be a mere blur at 126 mph

8. steamingyorkshire

steamingyorkshire Well-Known Member

Lecturer
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Another great day, lots more footage... The DVD is really coming together now and is looking fabulous. It's also been great to see so many of you again. The DVD trailer is currently uploading too which includes 3 video clips from the event.

More Photos are available here

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. 05micfis

05micfis Member

Thanks to all at KWVR for yet another superb gala. 1744 definately looked the part and sounded on top form. My highlight though has to be being first window behind 80002 on a 8 coach load express with no 41241 to pilot her! Some awesome sound effects emitting from the Standard all the way up to Oxenhope!

10. KieranPilsworth

KieranPilsworth Member

For those of you who will ask later, A wreath was carried on 90733 and later on 1744 in tribute to a KWVR fireman.It will probably be carried on the sunday too.

The RO of the day rang his home at 6am to ask why he had not turned up for his duties on the jinty only to find that he had dropped dead in the middle of the night. Age 28 with a pregnant Mrs.
    The preservation world and the KWVR has lost a great lad today, and he will be sorely missed. A good friend.

In relation to this the timetable ran slightly late at times today (sat), and the last train particularly late due to crews (friends etc) coming to terms with this and maybe not been overly focused on the jobs at hand.
    A sad blow to what had been a good friday, particularly the pickup as I thought I looked the part walking round with a break stick.
    Kieran

11. conireland

conireland Member

My condolences go out to the fireman's friends and family, such sad circumstances, RIP

12. Swiss Toni

Swiss Toni Well-Known Member

Christ almighty that's tragic, a collection somehow tomorrow and in the weeks to come would be a nice gesture.

13. 05micfis

05micfis Member

Ey dear, such a sad and tragic loss. My thoughts go with his Mrs and family.

14. Guest

Occasional
    And that puts everything into perpsective.

My neice's boyfriend aged twentyeight had to be pushed into seeking medical advice last year.

He is now on a pacemaker, as he was within weeks of going the same way if it hadn't been found.

At his age the grim reaper was the last thing on the horizon - as it should be!

heartfelt condolences to all affected,not least the RO.

15. Locknut

Locknut New Member

I will echo Kieran's comments. The KWVR has suffered a huge loss. A no nonsense lad, a good friend and a big contributor to the Loco department.
    I had been unaware of his death until I noticed the wreath on Simon's photo & then read Kieran's post. My thoughts are, of course, with his wife & the rest of his family.

As always the railway gets on with the job, I salute those on duty today - it must have been very difficult, I know it would have been for me if I had been rostered.

Chris

16. Horwich-works

Horwich-works New Member

Vehicle Engineer
    Such a sad day to a great weekend the wife and I would also like to pass on our condolences to his family and friends .

Dave & Shell

17. acw71000

acw71000 Member Friend

Very sad news indeed, condolences to all the family and friends. I would echo Stuart's comments about arranging a collection, it would be a nice gesture if it could be arranged.

18. Mike30A

Mike30A Well-Known Member

spending the kids inheritance
    I can only echo the sentiments of other posters. What a dreadful shock for his wife and family; and it must be very difficult for his colleagues to work thru this weekend.

footage from Friday and Saturday here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdyXCbV2_Vc

19. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    Perhaps Kieron could arrange some way of posters being able to donate as a whole / group contribution rather than individual donations being made; for those of us who enjoyed the Friday activities it was a sad end to what was looking to be an excellent weekend event. My condolences to the family

20. Horwich-works

Horwich-works New Member

Vehicle Engineer