If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

KWVR Overhauls

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by 61624, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Well we could have 4 4's in steam for a reunion, those nice people who look after 75014 seem to be a bit more receptive to letting her out. So maybe somthing could happen.

2. I believe 75014 has boiler issues too, I think at present it is at Crewe. Anyone have any news on it??

3. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

Yes I am an active volunteer
    75014 is now owned by the Paignton & Dartmouth and the boiler is being repaired at Crewe. The P & D are not noted for sending their engines out on loan, so I wouldn't get you hopes up!

4. kieranhardy

kieranhardy Well-Known Member

They did at least let 7827 out to WSR & SDR so hopefully 75014 visiting isn't a complete no go!

5. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
    75014 is advertised for photo charters in November which suggests a return to traffic next year is likely.

6. Ohh I never get hopes up. Diagramming that number of class 4's would be a waste anyway. Much better that they be spread around the preserved system where many more can enjoy them. 75014 is at Paignton, due to it not being required for service until we believe, 2014, when the Manor retires, It is currently sat in Churston Shed, minus boiler which is at Crewe. Work not lieky to start for couple of years yet as mechanically she's sound. So we am sure it will, when completed, give much pleasure in South Devon.

Many thanks to Roosterrory for the last bit of info.

7. I have been doing a bit of research on the Taff Vale tank and it would appear there is a second one. Owned by the National Museum of Wales I believe but now in bits after a number of failed restoration attempts. I am informed that the K&WVR 85 required only minimal boiler work so hopefully should soon be back in steam.
    The lost engine is Taff Vale No28.
    This locomotive has been lost to the Welsh public for over 20 years. I last saw it intact around 1991 where it was at the Cathay's depot open day. It was subsequently dismantled and subject to a long and unsuccessful restoration project,. The chassis spent some time at the Dean Forest Railway in bits.

8. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
    It's not been lost, it's had a cosmetic restoration at the Llangollen Railway and now is at Shildon I believe.

9. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    Is it not at the Gwilli?

10. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

11. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

Has it gone to Shildon because it would otherwise been standing in the open at the Gwilli?

12. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
  13. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    Yes. Its win-win for all concerned as it means that 450 gets a new audience at an apt location, is finally on display in the NRM and the money spent putting it back together is not wasted away in the weather now its undercover. It also buys time to get things organised for the next phase of the plan.

14. All excellent news. I was blessed with a shed visit to Howarth this morning (20/11), chatted with the team overhauling 85 and got some nice pictures which I shall initially put on my steammemories blog and when time allows me I shall upload some to here too. The last stage is the boiler and all of that work was able to be done in the Howarth works, it is current and on going. Indeed so much so that they were working on it as I visited. They were needless to say reluctant to give a time for completion as some work still needs to be done and some funding found for the last bits and pieces. Maybe we could have a chat about any way we can help, not sure if that is allowed on this site. However if you want to see the progress you can on my blog. She will get an initial seven year cert for the boiler which is extendable to a max of ten years on the agreement of the competent officer. The team said she is a stronger engine than the LNWR Coal Tank for which I apologise to them for inferring they were similar, though they did say as a saturated steam engine she used a lot of water. I also had a good look round 75078 which was having some tweaking done after steaming this Wed gone. Photos of that will follow shortly.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2014
  15. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    Providing everything kicks-off with 450/28 at some point, there may be an opprotunity to get some TVR-pattern buffers made for both locomotives, as some drawings for TVR-pattern buffers have been found at the NRM. However, whether they are correct for the type requires further research. I believe 85 currently has Class 08 buffers? The team involved with 450/28 are minded to form some sort of relationship with the 85 group, but the need to plan ahead is taking priority at the moment, whilst there are only a small group of people involved at the moment with other duties on the Gwili.

16. Thanks for that and lets keep in touch. To this marine engineer could you describe the difference in the buffers.

17. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    450/28 has been fitted with GWR Dean tapered collars when the originals were shorter, stouter and with no discernible taper. I understand the originals were cast with 'TVR' on the upper surface. 85's buffer collars appear to be of the plain, parallel standard BR variety.

18. Here is a close up of the buffer if it's any help.

Attached Files:

19. There has been a lot of work done on 85 as you can see from the pictures at steammemories.blogspot.com DSCF7200.JPG

Attached Files:

20. There is a better picture of 85 on the blog and undoubtedly they are of the parallel variety.