If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

KWVR WINTER STEAM GALA - FEBRUARY 10th, 11th & 12th 2012 -RETURN OF THE 'COAL TANK'!

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by KWVR_PUBLICITY, Dec 16, 2011.

1. 47406

47406 Well-Known Member

Operations Manager
    Re: KWVR WINTER STEAM GALA - FEBRUARY 10th, 11th & 12th 2012 -RETURN OF THE 'COAL TAN

Text message from a friend down today; reported late running, cancellations, freezing and poor walking conditions.

Trust it wasn't as bad as that, look forward to other reports from today's action?

Best Regards

2. wcmlbls1846

wcmlbls1846 Well-Known Member

Re: KWVR WINTER STEAM GALA - FEBRUARY 10th, 11th & 12th 2012 -RETURN OF THE 'COAL TAN

Fri was cold and icy, with trains running about 30 late for much of the day. Very good nevertheless. Here are five pix of the coal tank and Super D. Other pix will follow over the weekend.

Keighley & Worth Valley Rly, 2012 - andrewstransport's Photos

Cheers

Andrew N

3. steamingyorkshire

steamingyorkshire Well-Known Member

Lecturer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer

My material from today at the Worth Valley. Cracking day despite the two cancellations.

Footage will be available on the KWVR Gala DVD available in a few weeks.

Available Here

4. alanfrombangor

alanfrombangor New Member

Guest house proprietor

A most enjoyable day despite the icy weather and its consequences. The coal tank looked superb, I was born a bit too late to see the 5xxxx series locos and always felt cheated, so it's wonderful to see and ride behind one. The 16:10 from Oxenholme was almost an hour late by the time we got to Keighley. A few people waiting for the train back to Leeds were complaining that the goods train should have been cancelled to allow more latitude for the challenging weather conditions, which I thought was a fair point.

5. campainr

campainr Well-Known Member

A shame that the timetable fell behind but I would say the Goods should run as thats one of the main features of the gala that people have travelled to see, including by train.

6. twomanydjs

twomanydjs New Member

7. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    No I do not currently volunteer

Currently running at least 55 minutes late. At least the fire's lit in Ingrow waiting room! Biggest complaint I've heard over the weekend, other than the late running, is how cold the trains are. There's a lot of shunting going on at Keighley, shuffling stock around seemingly before each trip, meaning there's no chance for the stock to warm up.

8. 46236

46236 Well-Known Member

lord of the manor

a lot must have gone wrong, the 2pm from kly was 15 mins late, glad i left after that.

9. JohnRobinson

JohnRobinson Member

I went chasing Ollie up the S & C and arrived about 14.10, just missing a service going down the line. Decided it was too cold to go linesiding after the S&C and went for a trip along the line. The next train out was the goods( 49395 banked by 41241 to the passing loop past damens) followed by the 15.05 express with the super d again & 80080 - std tank. This was about 10mins late setting off but a good run along the line. On the way back the std tank came off and the Super D brought the train back to Keighley, the services still running slightly late. The only problem here was that the steam heating on the Super D had a fault and wouldnt work, resulting in a cold ride back and slight delay into Keighley whilst some shunting went on.
    Other than that all seemed well and trains running fairly full. (left about 16.45)
    John
    ps - just a full snaps to publish later in the week

10. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles

Oxenholme to Keighley? That's not a bad run for a KWVR Gala. :)

11. CopyPit

CopyPit New Member

Hi,
    I attended the night shoot on Friday evening. Cold but superb. Thanks to those who organised this first-ever event.
    I also attended for part of the day on Saturday. Cold and dull but I just had to see the LNWR locos in action - especialy the double-header. Never known the Worth Valley so icy in all the thirty-one years that I've held a lineside pass - walls and neighbouring paths like glass!

Photos here. Hope you enjoy: Flickr: neilh156's Photostream

Best Regards
    Copy Pit

12. Mike30A

Mike30A Well-Known Member

spending the kids inheritance
  13. VirtualSteam

VirtualSteam Member

14. Jeff Albiston

Jeff Albiston Member

A truly fantastic day at the K&WVR yesterday.

Enjoyed some mileage behind the Super D, 957, the 4F, Nunlow, and of course the Coal Tank. It's going to look good when both the Coal Tank & Super D are at Llangollen in little over 2 months time for Steel, Steam & Stars 3.

I look forward to seeing what the Worth Valley will pull out of the hat for the Autumn Gala in October.

15. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer

Well from the point of view of a traveller (and life time's member and promoter of all things KWVR) this was not Worth Rail's finest hour. Carriages without heat, carriages without light, some without both and timetable shot to pieces later on Saturday made for a very unhappy wife and Joe Pub. Early on the delays were a reasonable 15mins, but then mid afternoon something went awry and we were held in the loop for about 30 mins. We were sat in the Bullied (no lights) next to a couple with two young lads who were getting very bored and a bit boisterous where upon a table of old folk told them to 'keep your kids quiet' - nice. Mind you they could have escaped to the other half of the coach had the middle door not jammed shut. Finally we ended up missing our dinner after getting back to Haworth 90 mins late as the pub had finished and chippy shut.

Maybe we are just unlucky, but that's three problematic galas in a row for us - previously we had the the 47 off at Oxenhope a few years back, then the CVR S160 broke and we never made it to the beer and folk night.

So nice pics maybe, but that's only one side of the coin. We'll avoid the galas in future and stick to the tried and tested standard timetable I think.

16. acw71000

acw71000 Member Friend

17. Robert Heath No.6

Robert Heath No.6 Well-Known Member

You were very lucky if you avoided that chippy! :lol:

Does seem to be something of a recurring issue for winter galas however - a few which come to mind being this one (hefty delays/lack of heat), the recent GC gala (just shy of an hour late by Saturday evening) and the various Cauldon Low galas of last Winter (similar delays plus cancellations etc). Are our 50+ year old trains beginning to get a little too old to reliably operate intensive services in such conditions?

18. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist

Sad to know Sheff's disappointment at the Gala; Friday was also full of problems with the Chatham coach coupling and the 7F failing to provide heat being 2 that were identified. I don't know how much the weather affected operations overall but I managed to spend 10 hours on Friday from dinnertime thru to the night shoot by the lineside hence my interest - with congratulations to Austin for the night scenes on Haworth shed - in how others fared.

For my money it was worth the effort and with 100 images in the camera it was a trip worth while - despite the weather.

19. class8mikado

class8mikado Part of the furniture

Print Estimator/ Repository of Useless Informatio.

Coal tank must have taken a spin on the turntable at some point as it was facing Keighley this evening...Great atmosphere, bone chillin weather...

20. D7076

D7076 Well-Known Member

Super D had same problem over the New Year at ELR-was it not repaired afterwards?