If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

L&B Autumn Gala 2013

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Old Kent Biker, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Old Kent Biker

Old Kent Biker Member

ex IT Consultant
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Woody Bay will be busy next weekend, 28/29 September, for the 2013 Autumn Gala. As well as the three (yes - THREE!!!) restored L&B Heritage Coaches, and resident steam locomotives, AXE and SID, visitors to the gala will include EMMET from the Moors Valley railway (last here ten years ago, at the re-opening of Woody Bay station) and. on loan from the Ffestiniog/Welsh Highland railways, PRINCE - the oldest working steam locomotive currently running on the Ffestiniog, and the first ever tender loco to run on L&B metals. PRINCE is filling-in for ISAAC, which is due to take up residence at Woody Bay shortly, but has been delayed due to problems with the valve-gear during running-in trials at Boston Lodge.

The normal panoply of entertainments and attractions will be available over the weekend. Hope you can make it!

2. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    Nothing wrong with Isaac, but Prince is turning this event into a real must for me. Looking forward to this.

John

3. cymroglan

cymroglan Member

I agree with that. I've got some serious reorganizing, and grovelling to do if I'm to catch the mighty Prince on the L&B.....

4. Old Kent Biker

Old Kent Biker Member

ex IT Consultant
    PRINCE will be an excellent spectacle, to be sure.

Of course, if you are in the market for buying your own 2ft gauge train, Maffai 0-4-0WT Number 4127 of 1925, "SID" (believed to be one of only two n.g. Maffeis in existence) is currently for sale, along with a rake of four ex-Thorpe Park carriages... Just enquire at the Woody Bay shop, or via the website :)

5. Unlikely

Unlikely New Member

Also rethinking my diary due to the addition of Prince...

Two questions: don't need a working timetable or anything too detailed, but when are the first and last trains likely to be running on Saturday? Pondering a decent scenic road trip with LBR steam gala at one end and Bodmin Diesel Gala at the other. Prince in Devon and a 37 up a massive gradient in one day covers my spectrum of railway interest nicely. But want to work out if it's viable with the Lynton timetable.

Secondly, I was thinking of popping to the LBR on Wednesday this week anyway alongside some WSR on my lieu day. The website news story said Prince would be doing some training and running-in during the week. I'm assuming service trains are out of the question till the gala, but if I was there on Weds would there be a fair chance of seeing Prince in action as well as Axe?